GM's Willow Run Plant Adds new Workers

wolverine

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The transmission plant is the same plant where, in World War II, literally thousands fo B-24 bombers were turned out. Henry Ford built the plant, I am told, at the eastern edge of Washtenaw County to avoid Wayne County taxes or some other impediment. The airport adjoining the plant was used for testing purposes and was, until about 1958, Detroit's principal long-distance flight airport. (Also, I am not sure that Metro Airport had long enough runways for the early jets when it opened, so Willow Run may have been used long for those flights. I assume that a Detroiter could confirm this.)

The Willow Run plant is absolutely massive, and well worth a sidetrip. The excellent Yankee Air Force exhibit is on the other side of the field, though they unfortunately lost their exhibit hanger recently to fire.

Archived