Which non ATL metro city in GA feels the most like a true metro CITY?

georgia478

Which City?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these non ATL metro cities feels the most urban

• Macon
    • Columbus
    • Albany
    • Augusta
    • Savannah
    • Athens

Hey, which non ATL metropolitan area city in Georgia do you think feels the most like a true urban area?

I have been to all of our large cities, but mostly in Macon and Columbus. I attend Columbus State, what's the deal with COLUMBUS?

.......I'm just wondering, how long do you think it will take for Columbus to actually "feel" like a city with a populaton of 180,000 plus? Columbus seems to have more opportunity than Macon, but it's weird. Columbus is the hub of its metro, but feels like one big suburb to me. I'm originally from Macon and it seems we have much more traffic in town. Macon feels faster and more urban , more of a night life. Columbus feels laid back.

I don't think you can name another city of this size in the country, with no skyline and only has one EXTENTION of an interstate running through it.

I havent been to the other cities in awhile, so i cant call it. I know Athens and Albany feel country tho.

Leaves it Between Augusta, Savannah, and Macon to me. They're too close to call in my opinion.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, which non ATL metropolitan area city in Georgia do you think feels the most like a true urban area?

I have been to all of our large cities, but mostly in Macon and Columbus. I attend Columbus State, what's the deal with COLUMBUS?

.......I'm just wondering, how long do you think it will take for Columbus to actually "feel" like a city with a populaton of 180,000 plus? Columbus seems to have more opportunity than Macon, but it's weird. Columbus is the hub of its metro, but feels like one big suburb to me. I'm originally from Macon and it seems we have much more traffic in town. Macon feels faster and more urban , more of a night life. Columbus feels laid back.

I don't think you can name another city of this size in the country, with no skyline and only has one EXTENTION of an interstate running through it.

I havent been to the other cities in awhile, so i cant call it. I know Athens and Albany feel country tho.

Leaves it Between Augusta, Savannah, and Macon to me. They're too close to call in my opinion.

I vote for Macon on this one for overall city feel. I honestly don't see where Columbus is running out of land. Entering the city from the east (from Macon) could be considered rurality. There are tracks and tracks of untouched land. Things are so spread out and it was just overall quiet when I was traveling there regularly. As for Augusta, i've seen their First Friday in person and it kicks Macon's a** hands down, so my night life vote has to go to them. Macon's downtown is making huge strides thanks to New Town Macon's revitalization efforts, so I expect it to take off any time now with the help of a significant catalyst (retail center, mixed-use dev., corporate office such as Geico who is rapidly expanding Macon operations which is already the largest office in the country) Savannah's density and crowdedness, due to tourism, helps keep it in this discussion, but the droopy Sleepy Willows and old architecture give it more of a charming town feel. Macon's old architecture has this effect on its downtown as well to an extent. Overall though im sticking with Macon because of its interstates which are due to undergoe major widening (some projects have already begun), its visible and growing skyline, and its faster than the avg. Ga. city pace of life.

Well of course Savannah would beat any of the other mid-sized cities IMO. Apart from that I think Augusta is the only other metro that actually feels like a nice sized urban area....which it is. Columbus may have the tallest single building outside of Atlanta (In Ga) but Augusta has FAR more tall (over 10 floor) buildings than either Columbus or Macon....check Emporis for that. Its also got some really cool inner neighborhoods that have a truly urban feel, complete with street-front trendy/upscale retail, a midrise condo, hotel and retirement center, and a diverse stock of housing types, (Summerville). Its also got all the repulsive Gwinnett county type suburban/exurban sprawl typical of any true metro area in the SE.

Well of course Savannah would beat any of the other mid-sized cities IMO. Apart from that I think Augusta is the only other metro that actually feels like a nice sized urban area....which it is. Columbus may have the tallest single building outside of Atlanta (In Ga) but Augusta has FAR more tall (over 10 floor) buildings than either Columbus or Macon....check Emporis for that. Its also got some really cool inner neighborhoods that have a truly urban feel, complete with street-front trendy/upscale retail, a midrise condo, hotel and retirement center, and a diverse stock of housing types, (Summerville). Its also got all the repulsive Gwinnett county type suburban/exurban sprawl typical of any true metro area in the SE.

For this post all i can say is MACON!!! Reguardless of which cities has the highest pop, most corp HQ, or more Interstates or etc. Macon is the only city outside of atlanta that feels like a true metro. For example you can get on the interstates and travel to most of all the counties and cities in the metro, Macon has high growth area just below it which is Warner robins and Robins AFB which is one of the largest employer in the state. Macon has other large employers such as Gecio which is the largest of all the regional offices which has two large 4 story complexes, including other companies like YKK, Sara Lee, Ikon, Ga Farmer's Bureau, Allstate claims center, BB&T, Med center of cental ga, Bass pro, Amrstrong, Cox Communications, Coke Cola and that just a few to list.. there are huge proposals for downtown and it's skyline plus the interstate are expandings, a huge retal boom on every end of the city. macon feel like a tue city to me.... Columbus I can say good luck with all those people..... oh but for those who contuniously dewl on pop, that does not make a city. there are lots of large cities who has less pop than smaller cities like Atl is larger than jacksonville and Charlotte but they have a much larger pop than atlanta.... the pop does not make a city larger it just that you have more people to deal with.

For this post all i can say is MACON!!! Reguardless of which cities has the highest pop, most corp HQ, or more Interstates or etc. Macon is the only city outside of atlanta that feels like a true metro. For example you can get on the interstates and travel to most of all the counties and cities in the metro, Macon has high growth area just below it which is Warner robins and Robins AFB which is one of the largest employer in the state. Macon has other large employers such as Gecio which is the largest of all the regional offices which has two large 4 story complexes, including other companies like YKK, Sara Lee, Ikon, Ga Farmer's Bureau, Allstate claims center, BB&T, Med center of cental ga, Bass pro, Amrstrong, Cox Communications, Coke Cola and that just a few to list.. there are huge proposals for downtown and it's skyline plus the interstate are expandings, a huge retal boom on every end of the city. macon feel like a tue city to me.... Columbus I can say good luck with all those people..... oh but for those who contuniously dewl on pop, that does not make a city. there are lots of large cities who has less pop than smaller cities like Atl is larger than jacksonville and Charlotte but they have a much larger pop than atlanta.... the pop does not make a city larger it just that you have more people to deal with.

Firstly, I wasn't the one who said it was bickering; that came from one of the participants in the thread.

Secondly, these types of threads are generally not allowed anyway, even if they haven't reached "city basing" status yet (which these threads inevitably lead to) because it's essentially a "city vs. city" thread--which are clearly not allowed. It's a shame that just about any thread discussing all other metros in Georgia outside of Atlanta devolves into this.

OK we will leave this thread open as long as you guys don't make it into a my city is better than your city thread. I can see a legitimate reason to compare the non-ATL cities against each other in terms of how they are doing to become more urban. Please don't make us regret this later. Thanks for supporting UrbanPlanet!

Archived