Is it time to retire the one dollar bill?

MZT

Retire Dollar Bills?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Should the US Mint stop circulating dollar bills?

• Yes - That time has arrived
    • Yes - And let's have a $2 coin too, like Canada does
    • No - Keep the paper

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sometimes the bank will have them, sometimes they won't. If you ask regularly, depending on the bank, they'll start ordering/reserving them for you.

When circulation drops below a certain number, the feds will make another printing run of them, last run was within the past 10 years.

my issue with the dollar coin is the size and weight. i stop by a candy/soda machine fairly regularly while i'm at work and having to carry change bothers me because it weighs down my pocket. the dollar coin is too big and bulky to carry more than 1. having a few dollar bills is perfect because they're light weight and fit in my wallet. i don't usually carry a whole lot of cash on me, so having 5 $1 bills isn't bad. i've never liked the dollar coin. the worst part is, the candy machine here gives them out as change (if you put in a dollar bill and they don't have what you want and you hit the return button, you get a coin), but won't accept them. <_<

So the fact that we can save $500,000,000 by not using paper money means nothing? Dollars are so worthless now it may make more sense to make the $2 the standard bill of operation, and have the $1 reduced in status to more of a "quarter" or something (meaning for use in vending machines, subways, pool tables, arcade games, etc). I rarely use dollars except in vending machines, and as long as my dollar bill is relatively new, it will work.

I would rather advocate the removal of the penny than using a dollar coin. Pennies clearly cost more to make than they are worth. Thats like saying ill pay $80 for than thing that costs $50.

I have seen worse. I n any event, if you don't like this one, there's always the next coin. Aren't they going to produce a new coin every three months? I have yet to see one in person. The banks here in D.C. say that they haven't yet received their shipments. I don't know what the long-term plans are. though I don't think the Susan B. Anthony will be back. The only real problem with the Sacajawea dollar was that most people simply kept them.

Picked up a couple of the new dollar coins yesterday. They are a little big, but its not that bad. I had 6 of them in my pocket, and they didnt weigh me down too much. Havent had a chance to spend them yet. LOL, i have a feeling that the cashiers at the stores wont know what they are, and i will have to explain it. Also got a couple 2 dollar bills, which i have always found kind of handy.

The Saca dollar and the Susan B were the same dimensions, so that the few vending machines around that accept dollar coins would continue to work.

I'm presuming they did the same thing, or are these dollar coins different? I've never liked the dollar coin being smaller than quarters. I know dimes are smaller than nickels or pennies... but still... The old 50 cent pieces were bigger than quarters. It was a mistake in the design. They should have made them BIG so people would feel more pride in holding them.

The size of the coin originated in the 1970s -- and I've always thought part of the reluctance to accept them, may even be a latent memory in our national consciousness about that era. Shortages, inflation, etc.... seeing a small dollar coin is a reminder of it. You could at least say that about the Susan B. It just screams "Carter Years" :)

I know I have an extreme bias in this matter but during my stay in Australia, I fell in love with the currency system there. They do not have pennies there. In fact all prices marked in stores include tax and normally are rounded to the dollar or half dollar. Prices didn't seem overpriced due to rounding(outside of the AUD not being worth as much as the USD, even more so back then.)

Their dollar and two dollar coins are actually the smaller coins (5 cents withstanding) and are a different color than their 5, 10, 20, and 50 cent coins.

DSC00454.jpg

Sure you had a little jingle in your walk, but that's what made it fun. Taking the bus didn't require pulling out your wallet no matter what the fare. The biggest plus was that I'd accidentally come across a gross sum of money in my sock drawer from time to time as well. It was like my own little checking account that I didn't have to keep tabs on.

I'd say the most effective way of getting rid of the dollar bill is to STOP MAKING IT! How can you expect something to go away if you keep circulating it? The government should also be able to pass some sort of law requiring vending machine companies to not put bill inserts on their machines and instead have the ability to take half dollars and dollar coins. Doesn't seem that that would be more expensive for the vendors, in fact it seems like it would be much cheaper.

Archived