Western Avenue Condos

Eridony

$3-Million condos proposed for W. Western

From the article:

As planned, the new six-story building would have 15 living units with views of Muskegon Lake, and another 10 facing back toward Clay Avenue and the surrounding neighborhood.

The ground floor would be devoted to retail shops, with office space on the second floor. The roof would have room for sunbathing, a Jacuzzi and a small jogging track, as currently planned.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a rendering on the building. I will try to grap a photo of the rendering and post it here. I think this development is in the early stages and some of the details will be worked out as more progress is made.

$3-Million condos proposed for W. Western

From the article:

Finally a downtown proposal taller than two stories!

I'm of course ectatic about this, but the article left me with many questions. First of all $3million sounds like too little money for a 6 story building. I also wonder how much the units will cost and what size they will be? With so much open office space downtown will this floor later be taken out? Is there a retail tenant lined up? And probably most importatly, what will this building look like? Will it recreat the style of the former Muskegon Hotel like the last redevelopment proposal had planned to do?

Thanks for providing the rendering! I hope the plan is to use real brick and not simulated brick.

I especially like the first floor and the roof woth the arches and wrought iron fencing. The second floor seems strang though since it is shown to have exactly the same look as the residential floors, yet it is supposed to be office space. Overall I think this would be a great addition to downtown.

• 5 months later...

I wonder if this project is still alive. I know the developer wanted to use the area behind the building as a parking lot but now that it looks like the Rennaissance Place will be built there it kind of complicates the plans. It would be cool if he could buy part or all of the Eagles parking lot a block away and pave it and put up a nicer fence, but I'm sure that's probably not likely since people don't like to walk even a block these days. I really love this proposal and would rather see it happen than Rennaissance Place, but it doesn't seem like there is a very good chance of it happening now.

You can see the back of the old Muskegon Hotel in this picture I took today:

1011978870_9fa999b920_o.jpg

I really want this project to happen, it would do so much for Western Avenue!

I wonder if this project is still alive. I know the developer wanted to use the area behind the building as a parking lot but now that it looks like the Rennaissance Place will be built there it kind of complicates the plans. It would be cool if he could buy part or all of the Eagles parking lot a block away and pave it and put up a nicer fence, but I'm sure that's probably not likely since people don't like to walk even a block these days. I really love this proposal and would rather see it happen than Rennaissance Place, but it doesn't seem like there is a very good chance of it happening now.

You can see the back of the old Muskegon Hotel in this picture I took today:

1011978870_9fa999b920_o.jpg

I really want this project to happen, it would do so much for Western Avenue!

• 8 months later...

Kind of a sad day. Demolition on the old Muskegon Hotel located at 593 W. Western Avenue apparently started yesterday, though I just noticed it today. It wasn't really a surprise as the city of Muskegon had opened bids to have it demolished prior to Muskegon Summer Celebration, if the property owner didn't do it himself. The demolition that is taking place is being done by the property owner. I was headed down to Heritage Landing when I saw it taking place and went home to grab our camera and snap some pictures and a video as well. A sad day.

Flickr Photoset of demolition

Article from Muskegon Chronicle

2466319974_786769aa04_m.jpg

Archived