Plan would put $200M in downtown Winston-Salem

kevinhiggins

linkage from W-S Journal

Sounds great to me. I've posted about the need for work on the library...

"Forsyth County could invest more than $200 million into a handful of projects in downtown Winston-Salem over the next 10 years.

The list of proposed projects includes a new Central Library, a new space for the Forsyth County Sheriff's Office, an expansion of the Forsyth County Jail and a new building for Forsyth Technical Community College's school administration.

Edit: Make sure you read the rules governing the posting of news articles and clips.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Administration building at FTCC $20 million 2008

Hall of Justice renovations $9.1 million 2008

Hall of Justice addition $98 million 2012

Central Library addition or replacement $25 million 2010

Jail additions $21.8 million 2013

Administration building, sheriff's office $26.2 million 2012

the central library needs to be at the top of the list.

Great News! It always has bummed me out that Winston-Salem has bar-none the worst library in the Triad, it definitely is overdue for getting a new library. A new sheriff's building is also a good indicator as it suggests that some momentum is being made to get things ready to open up the space needed for the civic plaza that will be a lynchpin of downtown redevelopment! Now I just hope we could add one more proposal to that list sometime in the next few years-a new Courthouse!

Great News! It always has bummed me out that Winston-Salem has bar-none the worst library in the Triad, it definitely is overdue for getting a new library. A new sheriff's building is also a good indicator as it suggests that some momentum is being made to get things ready to open up the space needed for the civic plaza that will be a lynchpin of downtown redevelopment! Now I just hope we could add one more proposal to that list sometime in the next few years-a new Courthouse!

Nothing Wrong with the Courthouse? But there is... it is old and is falling apart and is not nearly big enough for what is needed and does not have enought space..

Tha County is currently talking about $13m in renovations... which... would extend the life of the courhouse 5-10 years.... after which an courthouse annex costing $98m would be needed... or for $128 (I believe but it is in a W-S journal article) they can replace the entire thing now... which would be a more impressive courthouse... and... most importantly make for one big impressive building onhly taking up 1/2 a city block then 2 buildings... 1 of which is old, ugly and falling apart again 5-10 years from now... and one smaller building which may or may not be next door taking up a lot more ground space in all but doing half the job...

• 10 months later...

It's highly unlikely our small-town minded county commissioners would shoot for a high-rise courthouse, that is if they even build new. The best we could luck out with is a small mid-rise of around seven stories.

I think this is a much better idea than moving the courts system into that hideous monstrosity. Let's hope the county will spring for some new paint while they're at it.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I want a new courthouse that can be used and meet needs for up to 25 to 40 years. A building that adds to the skyline and is creative and brings new innovative architecture to downtown. Then the older building could be used for other government offices or be renovated and changed into something like a hotel or even a downtown school.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived