Homeless people in Greenville.

g-man430

Every year it seems like I see more and more homeless people in the downtown area of Greenville. Has anybody else noticed this increase? It is definitely not a good thing and must be stopped in my opinion. The city and county along with organizations need to step up to the plate and spend some money to get these people shelter and jobs. The city is starting to step it up by having cops downtown patroling the area, but it isn't enough. As projects such as the Kroc Center and Rails-to-Trails come to fruition, more and more homeless people will start to come out of their spots and spread out into the open like they're starting to do currently with the completion of West End Field, Pendleton West, Field House at West End, and other developments. Thoughts and opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every year it seems like I see more and more homeless people in the downtown area of Greenville. Has anybody else noticed this increase? It is definitely not a good thing and must be stopped in my opinion. The city and county along with organizations need to step up to the plate and spend some money to get these people shelter and jobs. The city is starting to step it up by having cops downtown patrolling the area, but it isn't enough. As projects such as the Kroc Center and Rails-to-Trails come to fruition, more and more homeless people will start to come out of their spots and spread out into the open like they're starting to do currently with the completion of West End Field, Pendleton West, Field House at West End, and other developments. Thoughts and opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

I think people and the city do a lot for the homeless people in this area. I don't think thats the problem.

Theres some homeless people that have places to go but don't stay there.. They go to Main St. and pan handle. When they get enough money they buy booze or whatever else they are on and get wasted.

I see it everyday. I see the change in them when they are messed up.

I tell about 3 homeless people a day not to pan handle by my cart. They all have the same story. "They want money for food".

The best part about it is, people around the city are nice enough to say "I'm not giving you money but I'll buy you a hot dog", and heres the kicker, They turn it down.

Cause its not $$.

I'am not saying this is the case for everyone of them. But the ones lurking around downtown, are pretty much all the same. Looking to score money for a fix of some sort. Theres some that just dont want the help even if it is offered.

Speaking of the homeless and not entirely sure if some people I see on a regular basis fit in this category but I have encounter some pretty sad cases who constantly walk up and down certain roads. They obviously have some serious mental problems. Two women that come to mind are ones who are seen most frequently in the Berea area on Cedar Lane Road or White Horse Road and when you drive by them when they are walking down the sidewalk they will turn to you, point their fingers and start yelling stuff. One of the ladies appears to be in her 50's and is kind of overweight they other one is a very elderly woman who literally looks older than people I have seen in their 90's. That lady also will turn and point at you will obviously insulting you. The older lady also wears extremely tattered clothing and has a noticeable beard. Both of these case seem beyond anything I could do myself. They need more than a bowl of soup or an enclosed space to sleep. Does anyone know who I am talking about. It doesn't disturb me that I have to look at them or they are trouble but it does bother me that they seem they type who have "fallen through the cracks".

One other person I have seen on a regular basis is a very large man with a bushy beard and wears glasses. I recognize him especially because he visited a church I used to go to about 10 years ago. One of the guys in my singles class decided he would be bold and invite the man to Sunday School. When the man came he sat in the back of the room and basically insulting the Sunday School teacher (who was also an assistant pastor at this very large church) and his family. I can understand how someone in his position would be "mad at the world" but he exercised no self-restraint.

What can the average person do to help these sort of people? People who are more than just hungry or homeless because or real financial difficulties. I'm not talking about the "will work for food" people. If the people will really "work for food" the city could at least draft them to pick up trash on the side of the road. The ironic thing is those who seem mentally ill are often seen carrying bags of trash down the road like cans to be recycled or something.

• 3 weeks later...
I would love to know the official story on this person. I have been told (realize this is second hand knowledge) that he was a Bob Jones professor who "flipped out" or more appropriately had some kind of mental illness. One story is he was told to leave his position at the school but I'm not sure if it was because of a mental illness or his mental illness manifested as a result of his dismisal. One nickname I have heard him called is "Captain America" because one of his costumes was a 19th Century Navy Admiral or something like. Regardless this person is another example of people with mental illnesses who have been seen walking the streets of Greenville and no care or attention has been brought to the matter.

Speaking of the homeless and not entirely sure if some people I see on a regular basis fit in this category but I have encounter some pretty sad cases who constantly walk up and down certain roads. They obviously have some serious mental problems. Two women that come to mind are ones who are seen most frequently in the Berea area on Cedar Lane Road or White Horse Road and when you drive by them when they are walking down the sidewalk they will turn to you, point their fingers and start yelling stuff. One of the ladies appears to be in her 50's and is kind of overweight they other one is a very elderly woman who literally looks older than people I have seen in their 90's. That lady also will turn and point at you will obviously insulting you. The older lady also wears extremely tattered clothing and has a noticeable beard. Both of these case seem beyond anything I could do myself. They need more than a bowl of soup or an enclosed space to sleep. Does anyone know who I am talking about. It doesn't disturb me that I have to look at them or they are trouble but it does bother me that they seem they type who have "fallen through the cracks".

One other person I have seen on a regular basis is a very large man with a bushy beard and wears glasses. I recognize him especially because he visited a church I used to go to about 10 years ago. One of the guys in my singles class decided he would be bold and invite the man to Sunday School. When the man came he sat in the back of the room and basically insulting the Sunday School teacher (who was also an assistant pastor at this very large church) and his family. I can understand how someone in his position would be "mad at the world" but he exercised no self-restraint.

What can the average person do to help these sort of people? People who are more than just hungry or homeless because or real financial difficulties. I'm not talking about the "will work for food" people. If the people will really "work for food" the city could at least draft them to pick up trash on the side of the road. The ironic thing is those who seem mentally ill are often seen carrying bags of trash down the road like cans to be recycled or something.

Archived