Illegal immigration.

g-man430

We were talking about this in my American Government class at Tri-County Technical College near Clemson today. All of the students in my class had pretty much the same thoughts and opinions I had about this issue and these are them:

-I've been noticing over the past decade that the influx of illegal immigrants that are mostly from Mexico have been invading South Carolina and taking jobs from the people who actually pay taxes, speak english, and get a good education. The employers that are hiring them should be fined heavily. You might disagree with me, but think of this: What happens when an illegal immigrant who doesn't even have the common sense to learn the english language goes to a hospital for surgery or whatever and can't pay for it, because he/she doesn't pay taxes and can't afford it? Guess who gets to pay for his/her hospital bill? That's right, your and my taxes. Instead of our taxes going to something useful such as transportation, education, healthcare for legals, etc. it's going to the illegal immigrants. If you have a bank account with BofA, I insist you get rid of it immediately because they're starting to give credit cards out to illegal immigrants, which is totally wrong and should be illegal in this country in my opinion. We need to start protecting and enforcing our border with Mexico to stop this madness once and for all. I might get a lot of bashing from this, but it's just my opinion and I would like to hear yours on this issue.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We were talking about this in my American Government class at Tri-County Technical College near Clemson today. All of the students in my class had pretty much the same thoughts and opinions I had about this issue and these are them:

-I've been noticing over the past decade that the influx of illegal immigrants that are mostly from Mexico have been invading South Carolina and taking jobs from the people who actually pay taxes, speak english, and get a good education. The employers that are hiring them should be fined heavily. You might disagree with me, but think of this: What happens when an illegal immigrant who doesn't even have the common sense to learn the english language goes to a hospital for surgery or whatever and can't pay for it, because he/she doesn't pay taxes and can't afford it? Guess who gets to pay for his/her hospital bill? That's right, your and my taxes. Instead of our taxes going to something useful such as transportation, education, healthcare for legals, etc. it's going to the illegal immigrants. If you have a bank account with BofA, I insist you get rid of it immediately because they're starting to give credit cards out to illegal immigrants, which is totally wrong and should be illegal in this country in my opinion. We need to start protecting and enforcing our border with Mexico to stop this madness once and for all. I might get a lot of bashing from this, but it's just my opinion and I would like to hear yours on this issue.

While I agree that illegal immigration is a problem here in SC and nationwide, I also believe you're making some unfounded assumptions g-man430. Firstly, even though I work in NC, I'm not aware of illegals "taking jobs" from people in SC. If anything, they are doing many of the jobs that most won't do to begin with (even though they typically get paid much less for doing those jobs than the average South Carolinian would). And about BOA issuing credit cards without requiring a social security card (not "handing them out to illegals"), banks are really businesses like any other. The money illegal immigrants make spends just like the money I make. I understand the hype surrounding this particular development, but I don't think it's as serious as some may make it out to be.

I don't think anyone is infavor or illegal immigration, or illegal immigrants. We need to look at why they are taking jobs, and more importantly why they are being hired.

The jobs tend to involve manual labor of some kind

Illegal (mexicans) typically (not always) work harder than Americans with the same job

Americans may not want the job...

Illegal (mexicans) can be made to or are willing to accept lower than minimum wage

On an otherwise level playing field, illegals win because they can be paid less

Result: The employers of these places can spend less money to make more money. Its simple economics.There isn't any agency that sersiouly look at business employees to see if there aer illegals working, so the cycle continues. The problem is one of government policy, not of the people themselves.

What's this about the banks? Most banks won't allow them to open bank accounts, so they have to keep money hidden in their homes, which is why they're victimized so much. North Augusta's Hispanic population has increased a lot over the past decade. It's interesting.

Ah, you said credit cards not bank accounts. This is America, we'll give anybody a credit card!!!

I still don't understand that whole BofA thing, though I must confess I haven't had the time to read much about it either. I have a BofA credit card, and I had to put down my SSN and other personal information to get it, but I am a citizen. Its not impossible to think that the illegals lied to the bank to get the cards.

Archived