Peter Forsberg dealt to Predators (!)

BnaBreaker

Peter Forsberg dealt to Predators

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&a...rticleid=289087

The Nashville Predators are going for it!

Thursday night, the Predators pulled off one of the biggest trades of the 2006-07 season, acquiring superstar center Peter Forsberg ( 300K{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}700K) from the struggling Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for forward Scottie Upshall ( 300K{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}700K), defenseman Ryan Parent, a first-round pick in the 2007 Entry Draft and a third-round selection in the '07 draft.

The addition of Forsberg sends a clear message to the rest of the NHL that the Preds, who entered play Thursday night with the best record in the NHL (39-16-3), are taking aim at the Stanley Cup.

"Peter Forsberg is one of the NHL's most complete players and the ultimate competitor -- a consistent winner who has year in and year out been a difference-maker in the Stanley Cup Playoffs," Predators GM David Poile said. "He strengthens our club up the middle and will provide another battle-tested, veteran voice to our dressing room. Adding a player of this caliber also sends a strong message to our fans that the Nashville Predators are prepared to compete at the highest level."

Forsberg was preparing to play for the Flyers against the Toronto Maple Leafs Thursday night in Philadelphia when he received word from Flyers GM Paul Holmgren that the deal had been made.

Holmgren and Flyers Chairman Ed Snider had met with Forsberg in recent days in an attempt to sign Forsberg to a new, long-term contract. But Forsberg wouldn't make a commitment citing concerns over his health.

"I liked it here," Forsberg said at a press conference that took place between the second and third periods of the Flyers-Maple Leafs game. "It's been a tough year. I'm disappointed in myself. I'm not disappointed with the Flyers, absolutely not. I had a good time here. Unfortunately, we didn't win.

"I'm very happy to be going to a good team. This is a new situation for me, being traded..

"It's not a fun day," Forsberg continued. "I'll be fine in a couple days. I definitely have mixed emotions."

Forsberg said he understood the Flyers' situation. With unrestricted free agency approaching this summer, and Forsberg unwilling to sign a new contract, the Flyers didn't want to run the risk of losing a significant asset for no return.

Forsberg indicated he will give his future considerable thought this summer, noting that 2006-07 "has been a really bad year."

Forsberg one of the most recognizable and talented players in the NHL, has scored 11 goals and 29 assists in what has been a frustrating season. Injuries have forced Forsberg out of the lineup for 16 games this season, with the most troublesome problem being trying to get comfortable in his skates after off-season ankle surgery. That problem appears to have been solved. Forsberg's other physical problems this season have been a groin injury, back woes and a concussion.

While playing for the Avalanche, Forsberg won the Hart Memorial Trophy and the Art Ross Trophy during the 2002-03 season.

When healthy, Forsberg is a dynamic player, a veteran who gives the Predators an experienced Stanley Cup Playoff performer, having won two Stanley Cups in his career, both with the Colorado Avalanche. Forsberg's 162 career playoff points are more than the entire Nashville roster.

With the Predators among the NHL elite, the acquisition of Forsberg is proof positive that Poile believes his team can make a long, deep run into the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Prior to last season, Poile signed forward Paul Kariya and prior to this season signed center Jason Arnott. In addition, the Predators also have added veteran players in Steve Sullivan and J.P. Dumont to an impressive, young core.

The 2006-07 season has been one of great frustration for the Flyers, who expected to be in the mix for the playoffs themselves. But Philadelphia struggled out of the gate, with injuries playing a significant role, role in the decline that saw coach Ken Hitchcock fired and GM Bob Clarke resign. Paul Holmgren replaced Clarke in the GM role and pulled the trigger on this trade that adds two former first-round picks in Upshall and Parent and the 2007 selection to the team's list of assets.

Snider rejected the notion the Flyers were entering a rebuilding phase with the trade of Forsberg.

"We don't understand what rebuilding is," Snider said. "This is an unusual position for the Flyers. It's something we don't like doing. I would rather sign Peter for three or four more years.

"We want to come back quickly," Snider said. "We don't feel that we're that far away. Now, we've gotten some assets that will help us turn the corner."

Upshall, the sixth-overall selection of the 2002 Entry Draft, has appeared in just 14 games with the Predators this season, scoring two goals and one assists. In 48 games last season, Upshall had eight goals and 16 assists and was a plus-14.

In 1994, Forsberg broke into the league as a member of the Nordiques, who later moved to Colorado and became the Avalanche.

Parent was selected 18th overall in the 2005 Entry Draft by the Predators. He is currently skating with the Ontario Hockey League's Guelph Storm and has been sidelined for 23 games with a back problem.

"Upshall is a very good player who hasn't found a niche in Nashville," Holmgren said. "He's a tough kid with good speed who will help us immediately."

In Parent, the Flyers believe they have a building block on defense.

"Parent is a shut-down defenseman," Holmgren said. "He's a tremendous skater, has good size and knows how to play defense. He's a good, solid defensive defenseman. He's not that far from the NHL because of his skating ability."

Forsberg, 33, has won Stanley Cups with the 1996 and 2001 Colorado Avalanche as well as two Olympic gold medals (1994 and 2006 with Sweden). He won the Hart Trophy as the NHL's MVP and the Art Ross Trophy as the League's leading scorer in 2003. He also won the Calder Trophy as the NHL's top rookie in 1995.

The trade will enable Forsberg to appear in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for a 12th-straight season. In postseason competition, Forsberg has scored 61 goals and 101 assists, placing him 17th on the NHL's all-time postseason scoring list.

Ironically, Forsberg was originally drafted by the Flyers in 1991 with the sixth-overall pick. He was part of the blockbuster deal that sent Eric Lindros to the Flyers from the Quebec Nordiques.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My family was so estatic when we found out about the Forsberg trade, I mean, there aren't many people that are much higher profile than he is. I was reading the comments on the blog on ESPN.com and TSN.com about our trade and generally people said they thought we were now the odds-on favorite to win the cup, but many thought we had given too much for Forsberg. Others also thought this would fix the problems we have with ticket sales, profile, business buying, etc. I really hope this turns out well for us, and GO PREDS! We're Number one still!

My family was so estatic when we found out about the Forsberg trade, I mean, there aren't many people that are much higher profile than he is. I was reading the comments on the blog on ESPN.com and TSN.com about our trade and generally people said they thought we were now the odds-on favorite to win the cup, but many thought we had given too much for Forsberg. Others also thought this would fix the problems we have with ticket sales, profile, business buying, etc. I really hope this turns out well for us, and GO PREDS! We're Number one still!

Well, two weeks in a row we've lost 4-1 at home with sold-out crowds....not a great way to solve the attendence problem. I believe I read we're 5-6 since the All Star Break, and we've slipped to #4 in the West (although Detroit is only one point ahead and then we'll be back in first). I don't really know what's up with the guys but hopefully the Forsberg entrance hasn't upset the team chemistry.

Well, two weeks in a row we've lost 4-1 at home with sold-out crowds....not a great way to solve the attendence problem. I believe I read we're 5-6 since the All Star Break, and we've slipped to #4 in the West (although Detroit is only one point ahead and then we'll be back in first). I don't really know what's up with the guys but hopefully the Forsberg entrance hasn't upset the team chemistry.

better to happen now and then fix the problem and get back on track for the playoffs...

you definitely don't want to be backing your way in to the playoffs and you don't want to slump in the playoffs. things will get on track and it will be exciting

Archived