Should I Stay or Should I Go?

lammius

I'm not a regular N.O. forum participant, but I read this article in the New York Times today and I found it quite disturbing and even surprising.

In Setback for New Orleans, Fed-Up Residents Give Up

Shaila Dewan, The New York Times

16orleans600.jpg

What do you guys in N.O. make of this story? It seems the city's population has been rebounding, but is there a brain drain going on simultaneously, as this article suggests? I know you guys love N.O. very much, but is life so difficult that you ever consider (even if only for a second) giving up and moving on?

*Disclaimer*

I'm not just trying to point out "bad news" in N.O. I just find the whole recovery story fascinating and can only imagine how people are coping and what goes through the minds of the people who are there and struggling to rebuild the city. I'd love to know how people really honestly feel about what is going on down there these days.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it really depends on that individual's personal experiences. I've never thought about leaving, but I live in Slidell. I think this article is only pointing to the city of New Orleans itself.

Out of all the friends I had before the storm that lived in the city, only one has not returned. He is currently living in Thibodaux and will probably remain down there. That's where he is from originally. My friends in the city have a number of issues to deal with as they either rebuild homes or deal with less than stellar city services, but none have ever mentioned wanting to leave. In fact, most are more politically involved and more fierce in trying to reclaim the city than they were before the hurricane.

• 2 weeks later...

Houston's nightlife is horrible. As far as staying in New Orleans, since I'm in Civil Engineering, I see no problems with that. Even if I weren't in a career that had so many opportunities, I'd try my hardest to stay. It's about serving a purpose higher than yourself and fighting like hell to bring this city back. But, that's just the way I think. Maybe I'm crazy.

Funny you should mention that about Phoenix. When I was considering Arizona State for architecture school, my grandmother was appalled. Her remark was something like 'but dearie, there's absolutely no culture there." I ended up at Ole Miss and LSU instead. I still think Arizona might have been interesting, but definitely not as fun as having the French Quarter so close at hand!

• 2 weeks later...
New Orleans' nightlife is much better than Houston's, and I say that with quite a bit of experience. I think we're right next to Miami in Southern nighlife.

However, the funniest ranking of that entire article; Phoenix ranked as #1 in Culture, and New Orleans ranked as #14. If there was ever a city with absolutely no culture, it would be Phoenix, and if there was ever a city with more culture than you could imagine, it would be New Orleans.

Archived