"Firsts" for northwest Arkansas (within the state of Arkansas)

KJW

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like we could also be the first to use eminent domain. Sounds like this could happen up in Rogers. But it sounds like a bad deal to me. From what I heard not only can the city of Rogers take the land they won't have to pay him for it either. Citing that because the rest of this guy's property will be more valuable after they take the land to make way for a road. I know this will be a touchy subject. I think a city sometimes might need to use eminent domain for the overall good of a city. But I really think cities should use this as a very last option. Especially if it involves the city not even paying the person for the land. I wonder if they'll end up trying to reword this because of this incident.

Looks like we could also be the first to use eminent domain. Sounds like this could happen up in Rogers. But it sounds like a bad deal to me. From what I heard not only can the city of Rogers take the land they won't have to pay him for it either. Citing that because the rest of this guy's property will be more valuable after they take the land to make way for a road. I know this will be a touchy subject. I think a city sometimes might need to use eminent domain for the overall good of a city. But I really think cities should use this as a very last option. Especially if it involves the city not even paying the person for the land. I wonder if they'll end up trying to reword this because of this incident.

The city will be taking about 5 acres of an 83 acre tract, I believe. Mr. Claudson (I think is his name) was supposed to have been offered $633,000 for the land, but the Mayor later said in an interview that the offer was not made. So now they're headed to court.

This brings up an interesting issue of the "value of land." On the one hand, Rogers says the land will be more valuable commercially to Mr. C when the road is upgraded. On the other, Mr. C says he doesn't want to develop commercially and so the increased "value" means nothing to him. He just wants to farm his cows.

So, who's right? Who should determine the value of land in a city? And can value always be measure this way, monetarily?

In the end, I think Rogers will get the land (there's a lot of other developers and money-makers who are just waiting for this 26th Street improvement; the city is under pressure from them), but the acquisition will leave a black-eye on Rogers image. The City will have officially turned the corner from "friendly Northwest Arkansas hometown" to "corporate expansionist juggarnaut" in many people's eyes. Sadly, this whole ordeal hurts the life-long locals the most. Can they trust their city anymore?

The city will be taking about 5 acres of an 83 acre tract, I believe. Mr. Claudson (I think is his name) was supposed to have been offered $633,000 for the land, but the Mayor later said in an interview that the offer was not made. So now they're headed to court.

This brings up an interesting issue of the "value of land." On the one hand, Rogers says the land will be more valuable commercially to Mr. C when the road is upgraded. On the other, Mr. C says he doesn't want to develop commercially and so the increased "value" means nothing to him. He just wants to farm his cows.

So, who's right? Who should determine the value of land in a city? And can value always be measure this way, monetarily?

In the end, I think Rogers will get the land (there's a lot of other developers and money-makers who are just waiting for this 26th Street improvement; the city is under pressure from them), but the acquisition will leave a black-eye on Rogers image. The City will have officially turned the corner from "friendly Northwest Arkansas hometown" to "corporate expansionist juggarnaut" in many people's eyes. Sadly, this whole ordeal hurts the life-long locals the most. Can they trust their city anymore?

Archived