New 25 Story Condo Tower for SoBro

Nashvillain

DowntownCliff posted this over on NC, here's a link to info on NBJ:

SoBro continues its ascent with 25 story condo tower

I thought the dearth of new projects in SoBro was kind of a bad sign but this is relatively good news to great news, depending on whether you prefer towers to mid-rise. I hope we get more details soon.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That area has unlimited now I think. If not unlimited then close to it. They changed the area after the BBS building was announced, I think. I cant believe I missed this one, but it makes since. I spoke to someone at Solo Mio and they said there were plans for a highrise at that sight. I think that is home to Universal Garmets. Not for sure. So Bor is going to be amazing in a few years.

I guess it doesn't take much to be a front page cover story on the NBJ. A few weeks ago the headlines were that Tony formed 3 LLC's. Today some guy from Lebanon with no residential development experience announces he has a marginal site under contract with very undefined plans to do another condo tower. Sorry, but the media shouldn't waste our time or their ink until these things are a little further along.

I guess it doesn't take much to be a front page cover story on the NBJ. A few weeks ago the headlines were that Tony formed 3 LLC's. Today some guy from Lebanon with no residential development experience announces he has a marginal site under contract with very undefined plans to do another condo tower. Sorry, but the media shouldn't waste our time or their ink until these things are a little further along.

Is it true that this developer has zero residential development experience? What development experience does he have? Does anyone know? How is this a marginal site? I would agree with you Jeeper that this should be eyed with skepticism at this point if your assertions are true. Still, the fact that developers are considering projects of this size in SoBro is significant and is futher evidence that the area is still ripe for a lot more development.

One of the larger challenges with this site is the fact that they do not own the site to the north at Gateway between 3rd and Almond. This site has been leased to the Country Music Cafe.

http://www.countrymusiccafe.com/

The lease has an extended term.

The folks who own the site for the cafe have a long term interest in going vertical, which could block all views of the skyline in 15-20 years from the symphony tower site.

Furthermore, as this site does not touch Gateway, it is just in the CF zone, so it would need a major height variance, as heights are limited to 65' at the street.

Now if the developer of the symphony tower site could work out a JV wth both the owner of the building and their tenant with the cafe, this might become possible, bu at this time, it's a tough site to make work for many reasons.

Here is the project web site:

http://www.belewgroup.com/13.26.0.0.1.0.phtml

I'll be interested to hear comments on the proposed design.

One of the larger challenges with this site is the fact that they do not own the site to the north at Gateway between 3rd and Almond. This site has been leased to the Country Music Cafe.

http://www.countrymusiccafe.com/

The lease has an extended term.

The folks who own the site for the cafe have a long term interest in going vertical, which could block all views of the skyline in 15-20 years from the symphony tower site.

Furthermore, as this site does not touch Gateway, it is just in the CF zone, so it would need a major height variance, as heights are limited to 65' at the street.

Now if the developer of the symphony tower site could work out a JV wth both the owner of the building and their tenant with the cafe, this might become possible, bu at this time, it's a tough site to make work for many reasons.

Here is the project web site:

http://www.belewgroup.com/13.26.0.0.1.0.phtml

I'll be interested to hear comments on the proposed design.

If the design stays similar to the ones shown then I think it would be a great addition to Nashville. That design is very similar to ones I have seen for buildings in Atlanta and Orlando. I like it better than many of the ones going up now. I hope this developer can pull this off.

Michael,

What do you know about this development company? And, what percentage of a chance do you see this project getting done?

Is he partnering with another developer on this?

Perhaps judging is premature, but it seems anyone can borrow a photo and plop on a website. The building? Sure, why not. I think it's fine for a residential building. Buildings being built with a bit of uniqueness should be encouraged.

I'm not as deeply suspicious as Jeeper, but I find it difficult to take an introduction seriously that ends a sentence with "to live at." The remainder of the prose is a bit unsophisticated as well. It has the look and feel of a class project to me.

That's my first impression for what it's worth. I'll let time tell on this one.

What design? It looked to me like simply a rendering of another project in another city (?) and a promise to design something similar. It's obviously not even a rendering of a previous project he has been responsible for. Based upon everything I've seen I can't find evidence that this developer (so to speak) has spent more than about $500 bucks (the cost to drop that pdf into his planes and auto business website) and whatever option/contract cost he may have on the site. Again, I think all this hardly warrants front page headlines.

Looking at that rendering, I feel like I'm about to purchase a beachfront condo overlooking the Gulf in Destin, lol.

I agree, the base is definitely a cause for concern. If there are no shops, restaurants, groceries at the base level, you are basically creating a skyscraper version of an insular community (like that community further up Rutledge Hill that has a WALL around it). Nashville doesn't need projects that wall themselves away from their neighbors.

P.S. NewTowner, I liked the Whitehall comparison. It's such an interesting building to look at every day. :thumbsup:

LOL... "couple blocks"... "interior and decor"..."yet remaining timeless and elegant"???? OMG!!! There's no accounting for taste. The web site indicates a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none. So you shouldn't expect much from the perveyors of such dribble. Unfortunately, this seems to be someone (or ones) who only knows about making an easy buck. It also reminds me of those hucksters who (like the one featured in the front page article of Thursday's WSJ) who will pump up a project and bilk investors before losing every cent. Prospective investors should stay as far away from this project as possible. Maybe someone like Giarratana will come through and acquire the property next to it and put up a taller building that will completely block out all the views of this f-ugly contraption.

NT, I actually agree with you (a second time in one week!!!). However, I'd say that this project even makes the would-be Marina Tower proposed for Sobro (Sounds site) look attractive. OK, almost!

If generating a buzz and trying to get thier feet wet in urban development then Belew Group has at least succeeded. As for the project... I'll wait and see. At this point It's proposed and I won't kill it off just yet. We have been to quick to condem project in the past like the Terrazzo, GP, and Siggy.

Belew certainly has more money than I initially thought, but I think they'll have to team with a pro developer and pro PR firm in the industry if thier serious, and still come up with some serious dough. Judging by the pdf packet online it looks like they are testing the water and getting a name without selling the farm; it is pretty half rate....

As a developer you have to start somewhere right??? You don't become Tony G. overnight, and even Tony had difficulties and doubters when he first splashed on the scene years ago. Chalk this one up as proposed and possible for now.

I don't think the rendering provided by the company is even conceptually what they invision the tower to look like. It is probably ripped from the web to fill the spot. I don't know why they would waist money on a rendering when they skimped on the rest of the packet/site.

Just my two cents..... :thumbsup:

Whoever wrote the copy for that brochure really needs to reconsider their career. It's embarrassingly full of mistakes; I had a hard time reading past the first sentence, which ends with "at." Obviously, any materials like this should be perfect, and should include drawings of the actual project. So I think any skepticism directed at this project has merit. Why does the project "brochure" reference the Schermerhorn with photos and such? I think that's been done already.

Judging from everything I've seen and read, it's really hard for me to take this project seriously at this time. It's clear the company is much bigger than $300,000 in sales, but that's about all I can say that's positive towards towards the likelihood that this project becomes reality. I'm not writing it off, but I definitely wouldn't bet on it happening.

I had the opportunity to read the entire NBJ article and the highlights were hoping to break ground by October, 300 to 350 per sq ft, and two options. One is a 14 story w 150 units and the other is a 25 story and 200 units. The property is currently owned by Jim Varrello. Not sure of the spelling but he is the developer of Cumberland Yacht harbor.

If the design stays similar to the ones shown then I think it would be a great addition to Nashville. That design is very similar to ones I have seen for buildings in Atlanta and Orlando. I like it better than many of the ones going up now. I hope this developer can pull this off.

Michael,

What do you know about this development company? And, what percentage of a chance do you see this project getting done?

Is he partnering with another developer on this?

Archived