New 25 Story Condo Tower for SoBro

Nashvillain

I shifted to free for a day then back behind the sub wall. http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2007/6/8...oking_more_real

I'm not sure what to think about this project. I tried to be a little skeptical but Belew answered all the questions. They had tried to buy and adjacent piece of property so it would be bigger but NBJ story may have messed that up. I forgot to put in the story that there is supposed to be 25K of retail as well.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris,

I think maybe he is going to maximize the space under current zoning. I think he would have a hard time getting approved to 25 stories at that location due to all the rezoning that has taken place in the last year. They were going to try and get adjacent property as well and that fell through. He has to make this thing work with the square footage and will have to do a lot of number crunching to do it. This building will look taller than 160' just because it is going to sit upon a hill.

"Belew, who grew up with Lineberry, plans to build fewer than the 25 stories he originally contemplated. Belew said he decided to stay within the zoning requirements and is sticking to the 160-foot maximum allowed rather than seek a zone change to go to 25 stories. "We're going to build as big as possible," he said."

This is his statement above from the article, but I'm confused. He said plans to build as big as possible, then why not build the condo at 25 stories.

That means about 12-13 floors with anywhere from 13-16 units per floor. That's doable, but nothing significant. Hastings is one of the better firms for projects like this in Nashville, but $50 million doesn't a Mercedes, or even a Cadillac, or even a maxed out Camry. It might be a Chevy.

In comparison, how much money is going into the Griffin Plaza project? I thought I had heard somewhere around $70 million, but I can't be sure.

That means about 12-13 floors with anywhere from 13-16 units per floor. That's doable, but nothing significant. Hastings is one of the better firms for projects like this in Nashville, but $50 million doesn't a Mercedes, or even a Cadillac, or even a maxed out Camry. It might be a Chevy.

We're short on greenery in our DT too, but Centennial O Park has helped a lot. Lower midtown is pretty sparse too. However, when you get up to Colony Square (on up) to Pershing Point, there's a lot of the landscaping that you're referring to. I'd expect Rolling Mill to help in that area of DT Nashville too.

Question. Does the part of Nashville's DT south of Gateway have any sort of design guidelines like the area that's commonly referred to as SoBro? That area west of RMH is not SoBro is it?

LOL, I know. I have to laugh every time I walk past that park - what a dumb ass idea. Although, the park is nothing compared to the World Class Homeless and Hobo Reading Emporium, otherwise known as the public library. All the DT hobo's go into the library to beat the summer heat or winter cold - leaving the building unsafe for children. And the restrooms serve as public restrooms for the hobos across the street. Can anyone say Hepatitis? Public spaces are for suckers, give me a safe and clean private space any day.

Both the park and library need to charge admission fees - problem solved.

I agree this has nothing to do with this thread, but if you go there on Sat. and Sun. mornings it is full of homeless people. I don't think they should be kicked out, but this is not a shelter. We need a better plan and throwing more money at the problem is not the answer. Again this discussion is for another post on the Nashville UP.

LOL, I know. I have to laugh every time I walk past that park - what a dumb ass idea. Although, the park is nothing compared to the World Class Homeless and Hobo Reading Emporium, otherwise known as the public library. All the DT hobo's go into the library to beat the summer heat or winter cold - leaving the building unsafe for children. And the restrooms serve as public restrooms for the hobos across the street. Can anyone say Hepatitis? Public spaces are for suckers, give me a safe and clean private space any day.

Both the park and library need to charge admission fees - problem solved.

Archived