Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsoon

Mercedes sells Chrysler to General Motors

40 posts in this topic

Rumors are out there that Diamler-Chrysler has given up on the Chrysler part of its business and is rumored to be in talks to sell the albatross to General Motors. Do you guys think it will happen?

From what I've been reading, I doubt this will actually happen. One of three things will occur:

1. The Chinese will buy Chrysler

2. An Investment Group will buy Chrysler.

3. Mercedes will have to stick it out.

There have been some collaborative talks between GM and DiamlerChrysler which may have included a sale. But GM has way too many issues theirselves to resolve before dreaming of taking over Chrysler.

Part of me hope this happens, part of me doesnt.

My dad works for GM, so anything that would help GM is good for my family.

But, Chrysler and GM are both headquartered in my (sort of) area. So, if this means that they will merge HQ's and cut positions, then i dont want it to happen.

But, IDK if GM should do this yet. They are a step ahead of the US automakers in restructuring and regaining market share(theyve already cut a lot of costs and jobs, and are modernizing plants and streamlining operations, building better quality vehicles than before) and im not sure if they should take on Chrysler and whatever problems they are having right now.

I think GM will do it to postpone being taken over by Toyota as the world's largest automaker.

I think GM will do it to postpone being taken over by Toyota as the world's largest automaker.

GM needs to stay focused on what they're doing, let Toyota take the crown for a few years.

What is it exactly that GM is focused on? Figuring out how to create an 18-wheel Hummer?

Toyota ought to be the world's largest automaker until someone else can create a more fuel-efficient fleet.

Most of the vehicles that GM sell however are gas guzzlers. Toyota does far better at this than GM.

GM has 23 models that get over 30 MPG, the most of any automaker.

And what percentage of total vehicles sold by GM are one of those 23 models compared to the same statistic from Toyota?

30mpg should be, at this day and age, the absolute minimum fuel efficiency on the road in this country. A standard car should have more like 40mph and economy cars should have 60mph.

Only heavy trucks with diesel fuel sold for farm/business purposes should be allowed to have less than a 30mpg rating.

And the mpg ratings need to be reformed (I think they might have just done this actually), so that it doesn't make the rating on a person that travels under 60mph and accelerates slowly.

Indeed. GM's #1 selling vehicle is the Silverado Truck. It gets somewhere around 14-15mpg on average.

Indeed. GM's #1 selling vehicle is the Silverado Truck. It gets somewhere around 14-15mpg on average.

There was wide speculation on CNBC-Europe yesterday that Diamler really wants to get rid of Chrysler and that it would happen soon. They also said an asian company might try to buy it mainly to gain access to the USA dealership network. The asians don't really care about the USA production facilities and would move to shut them down. They did say this would be politically difficult to pull off.

GM has 23 models that get over 30 MPG, the most of any automaker.

Haha, don't worry d-town, you aren't alone. My father is pretty high up in company, and I emailed him this thread. I'm not really allowed to say what will happen with Chrysler, but a lot of chit chat in this thread is just ill and unsupported speculation.

I'll admit many GM vehicles need to be more fuel efficient, my truck gets a horrible 19 mpg, which is why I don't drive it all the much and take the bus instead. But I've been witness to more fuel efficient vehicles that are set to come out in the future.

I doubt GM would take Chrysler because GM is in the midst of a recovery themselves. If they did take Chrysler, I would think they'd pick off the minivan line (GM doesn't have any minivans in production) and sell off the rest. That's the only product segnment where there isn't any product overlap.

Leading speculation on the car message boards is that Hyundai, a partner with DCX in developing the 'World Engine" or Magna, an automotive supplier may take over Chrsler.

The fact of the matter is if Diamler-Benz had not taken over Chyrsler, it probably would have been out of business by now anyway.

I'm a huge Chrysler fan, and it is really horrible what happened to them after the merger. I think that the 1999 Charger show car, which was to go into production (so I've read) would have been a far better seller than the LX cars. DCX basically took the money to produce that car, and used it for other things.

It is going to be really interesting seeing what developes. I think it would be foolish for GM to ake over Chrysler, the same way that the Packard-Studebaker merger back in the 50s was foolish.

I don't think that GM would buy Chrysler either. I bet an investment group will, and return it to American ownership. That would be great, IMO.

Funny that Daimler is so eager to dump Chrysler--it's not doing that poorly. I think it's because Dr. Z is embarrassed at his abyssmal failure as pitchman!