Turmoil in UA Athletics

I was surprised I didn't find a Razorbacks topic, so I started one.

Frank Broyles is probably leaving, Houston Nutt may be and Stan Heath is having a bad season that puts his status in question.

It should be a sad day in Razorback land- Coach Broyles is the biggest supporter of UA athletics there is. A large part of the success of the program can be traced to him either directly or indirectly. The physical plant improvements are largely due to his efforts. He has had a huge impact in leading fund raising drives for the University as a whole. Any one who is enjoying what is happening is not a true Razorback fan.

There no doubt the whole situation could have been handled much better. Coach Broyles, as head of the program, does take responsibilty for it in the end, but the actions of many others are what led to his leaving. I've always been a Nutt fan, but his actions (and inactions) have been a major dissappointment. Nutt's wife, the fanatic email sending booster and the assistant coaches all share in the blame. The fans that are so ready to turn on the program did a disservice to the program that will last for years.

That's my take on the situation. Obviously we are still in the middle of it but I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say. I have season tickets in several sports including football and am an alumnus, so I'll support the University no matter what happens. I see a long period of decline in the athletic programs. That may be for the best so that education takes more priority over sports, but I'll sure miss the prospects of athletic success.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had thought about starting a topic here but have stuck with a sports related topic in the main Arkansas Coffeeshop forum. So that people from other parts of the state can participate as well. Especially since the Razorbacks enjoy statewide support. Broyles has certainly done great things for the university. But I have to say I've been very disappointed with his actions as of late. I think he's really handled this whole thing rather badly. It's too bad he didn't leave a little sooner under better circumstances. I don't know if I'd call myself a Houston Nutt fan, but over the years I think I've been more supportive of him than many other fans. But I'm rather disappointed with him too. I also believe he handled many of the situations of the past year rather badly. Sounds like he could be on his way out as well. KNWA reported his contract bought be bought out in the upcoming weeks. Then you also have the basketball program that also hasn't been doing too great. Stan Heath is a nice classy guy but he just doesn't seem to be getting the job done. He's struggled to get his teams into the NCAA tournament. The only way I don't see him leaving is that there's too much turmoil going on and he'll perhaps be given another year just so they don't have to look for yet another position to fill.

Well I haven't been getting too many responses on the other sports topic so I guess I'll start posting over here. I know everyone will know it's official about Broyles by the time they see this post. Now there's the decision of who will be next. It really doesn't look like Houston Nutt will take over. There's been talk of his contract possibly being bought out in the upcoming weeks. Although that will be harder now, looks like Nutt got a raise and an extension. I've heard Jim Lindsey's name mentioned. I can't say how I think he'd do. All I know is that I don't care for his apartment complexes. On the coaching front I'd think one of the coaches will be gone by the summer. Stan Heath hasn't been doing too great. But I don't know if there's enough money to buy out both Nutt and Heath. But I have a feeling one of them will be gone. But anyway back to Broyles. There was an interesting article on ESPN.com about all of this. It was mentioned if there was a Mt Rushmore for Arkansas, it would have Clinton, Walton, Tyson and Broyles on it.

That was a great article- thanks for mentioning it. I think it was right on- one person having that much influence probably won't happen again. I don't see Jim Lindsey being in the runnig for AD. He may be a former player and trustee but his background isn't in sports administration and he would be tto much of a link to the past. They really need a complete fresh start, maybe even going out of the state to hire someone.

I don't think Nutt getting an extension is a guarantee that his job isn't in jeporady. His biggest supporter is gone and when a new AD is hired I bet he will be gone. He'll probably be here next year, but if there is any trouble in the program he'll be gone. You're right about Stan Heath- he's a nice class guy, but he's just about used up all his chances to succeed. I'll be glad when all the drama is over and the games can take center stage again.

That was a great article- thanks for mentioning it. I think it was right on- one person having that much influence probably won't happen again. I don't see Jim Lindsey being in the runnig for AD. He may be a former player and trustee but his background isn't in sports administration and he would be tto much of a link to the past. They really need a complete fresh start, maybe even going out of the state to hire someone.

I don't think Nutt getting an extension is a guarantee that his job isn't in jeporady. His biggest supporter is gone and when a new AD is hired I bet he will be gone. He'll probably be here next year, but if there is any trouble in the program he'll be gone. You're right about Stan Heath- he's a nice class guy, but he's just about used up all his chances to succeed. I'll be glad when all the drama is over and the games can take center stage again.

Okay I did some more searching and found some names. This is from wholehogsports via woopig.

"Possible candidates include Clemson athletics director Terry Don Phillips, Eastern Michigan athletics director Derrick Gragg, Colorado Rockies president Keli McGregor, Fayetteville businessman Scott Bull, Little Rock businessman Kevin Scanlon, Dallas businessman Bill Montgomery, Razorback Foundation Director Chuck Dicus and former Arkansas head football coach Ken Hatfield.

Okay I did some more searching and found some names. This is from wholehogsports via woopig.

"Possible candidates include Clemson athletics director Terry Don Phillips, Eastern Michigan athletics director Derrick Gragg, Colorado Rockies president Keli McGregor, Fayetteville businessman Scott Bull, Little Rock businessman Kevin Scanlon, Dallas businessman Bill Montgomery, Razorback Foundation Director Chuck Dicus and former Arkansas head football coach Ken Hatfield.

Yeah I agree. That and as people have pointed out, look at Florida which currently has the football and basketball title and who is their AD? So I guess it doesn't matter if the AD ends up being someone I haven't really heard much about. Maybe it would be better in fact.

I think someone who will stay in the background is needed. Let the coaches make the decisions and have to stand by those decisions. The AD shouldn't be as involved in the team mechanics as in the past. That way the coaches don't have to look over their shoulder and know that whatever happens, it's their responsibilty.

You beat me to it Rod. It was one of the highest scores ever put up by the Razorbacks. The record still stands at 33 runs against SW Baptist in 1984. Obviously Wisconsin-Milwaukee does not have more than one pitcher. Hopefully we can continue this with todays game.

I've got a question. I thought it would fit better over here. But in another topic someone mentioned that Broyles had made some enemies especially during the change in the split games. I was wondering were people in central Arkansas that mad a game was taken away or was it more the way it happened?

I am still mad that we have to play any games in LR. I am sorry to people in Central AR but Fayetteville has the university and therefore we should have all sporting events here. I am not sure if we are the only school in the country that does this but I doubt there are more than a couple more. I really don't think that there are any major schools that do this. 10-20 years ago NWA did not have the population base to sell out most games in a 50000 seat stadium, but now we are having most games in a 75000 seat stadium sold out or at least full. Anyone else want to make a comment? I am sure I will make you guys in LR mad. ;)

I am still mad that we have to play any games in LR. I am sorry to people in Central AR but Fayetteville has the university and therefore we should have all sporting events here. I am not sure if we are the only school in the country that does this but I doubt there are more than a couple more. I really don't think that there are any major schools that do this. 10-20 years ago NWA did not have the population base to sell out most games in a 50000 seat stadium, but now we are having most games in a 75000 seat stadium sold out or at least full. Anyone else want to make a comment? I am sure I will make you guys in LR mad. ;)

I admit for a short time I felt a little bit like you. I understand where you're coming from but I think it's still a good thing to play a little down in Little Rock. We are the only team now that still splits games. Alabama was the last to do it and I think they stopped in the 80's. I do think it's a good thing to have pretty much statewide support. Perhaps with a new direction in the athletic department and a new coach and we can do a better job recruiting the state. That and I know people from eastern and southern Arkansas don't always make it up to Fayetteville for games. While we do have a much larger population base now in NWA I'm not sure if it's people that will go to Razorback games. Since many of them are new I think they tend to have ties elsewhere and might focus more on keeping up with their old school than the Razorbacks. I just hope people in other parts of the state can see it from the university's perspective as well about not having as many games in Little Rock. They don't hardly make anything have a game in Little Rock compared a lot of revenue having a game here on campus. That and the more revenue the more you can put back into expanding the stadium in the future as well. They've also been leaving LSU down there, so they aren't just giving them creampuff games to watch either. But I don't think it would be a good idea to cut off fans from the rest of the state. Some would still follow the team if there wasn't any games in Little Rock. But I think you'd start seeing a decrease down the road. I think the only other thing to keep in mind is what factor will the rest of the state have. It used to be that's where a lot of the best recruits came from in the state. But with the state much of southern and eastern Arkansas is in that's not the case anymore. It could eventually be a case of mainly doing it just for central Arkansas.

I agree with you- having a couple of games in LR helps keep fan support statewide. With a 12 game schedule that leaves 5 or 6 at Razorback Stadium. I've never been to a game at LR but I hear the fans at War Memorial can be more enthusiastic than they are up here. It helps with recruiting also. Speaking of enthusiastic fans, the couple who sit next to me drive up from Crossett for every game. For anyone who doesn't know, Crossett is about 10 miles from the LA. border in the SE corner of the state. Now those are some true fans!

I agree with you, though not for the same reasons.

We make more money playing the games in Fayetteville because of skybox and club seating revenue. UA still depends on the Central, Southern, and Eastern portions on the state for its fanbase and for recruits but ultimately money has to be the bottom line. NWA STILL doesn't have the population to sell it out by itself and most new additions to the region aren't the ones at UA games. Most of the crowd at UA games leaves heads down I-540 after the game or the next day. Moving the games will hurt attendance, it's one thing for fans downstate to drive up 3-4 times a year, but 7 times a year? The season ticket holders will go to the important games and the stands will be empty for the cupcakes, even more than they already are.

I don't know about packing in 75,000 a game. I've only been to a couple of games every at RRS where there weren't a large number of empty seats in the upper decks - it usually takes a Texas or USC to do that.

I think the games need to finally be moved but not amidst all of this turmoil. With the right coach and AD and the program in a positive direction fans will be more accepting.

Mississippi and Alabama were the last two schools to move their games, both doing so in the mid to late 1990s. MSU and Ole Miss played a couple games a year in Jackson and Bama played at Legion Field in B'ham until around 2000 or so.

Texas-OU and Florida-Georgia still play games on neutral sites every year.

KNWA says tonight Heath's out if Arkansas doesn't make the NCAA tournament.

They also said there'll be no unproven coaches or assistant promotions if Heath goes...Arkansas will go after a proven winner.

Again, with the incredible changes in NWA since Nutt and Heath were hired...it will be fascinating to see who is interested in either of their jobs if and when either of their jobs come open.

KNWA says tonight Heath's out if Arkansas doesn't make the NCAA tournament.

They also said there'll be no unproven coaches or assistant promotions if Heath goes...Arkansas will go after a proven winner.

Again, with the incredible changes in NWA since Nutt and Heath were hired...it will be fascinating to see who is interested in either of their jobs if and when either of their jobs come open.

Boy, KNWA REALLY went out on a limb there.

Despite the "changes in NWA" the unfortunate reality is the prestige of both of these jobs is much less than it was in the past. The basketball program has taken some hits the last few years after being recognized as a definite top 10 program in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. Similarly, the football program has been tarnished for a decade and a half and this Nutt situation is awful.

The best thing going on, truthfully, is that the new coaches will get a new AD. Unfortunately, they won't know who this will be yet. That might impair the hiring of the basketball coach some. No doubt the UA will open its wallet WIDE open because it has to. Games at BWA and Barnhill were sold out for 25 years and in Nolan's glory years there was an 8000 person waiting list for season tickets. That all evaporating and now there are a ton of empty seats - even for big games. Unlike football, in basketball there's a real financial advantage in bringing in a "name" coach. What we do have in our favor is that we still have one of the nicest arenas in the country.

I am excited about the search for a new basketball coach. I really want Gillespie but I'm not sure UA has the money or resources to get him out of College Station.

I've even heard Mike Anderson's name mentioned. I really wonder though if he'd come back after what happened before. We do have nice facilities and are in a nice conference. But I still wonder if we might be able to sway one of these Big 12 coaches I keep hearing mentioned.

Archived