Providence Open Market

Cotuit

This has nothing to do with vendors, except those who have to drive to the market. The driving directions on the web site are really bad. Maybe someone here with more downtown driving experience can help.

The first thing I noticed was that Exit 21 off 95N is Broadway, not Atwells Ave, and I haven't a clue what US-1N is (Empire Street?), and Fountain Street would be a left turn, and Eddy Street, I believe, is a hard right off Fountain.

From www.providenceopenmarket.com:

From the North

Take 95 South to the Atwells Ave exit 21. Turn left onto Atwells Ave, then make your first left onto US-1 N. Make your next right onto Fountain Street. Slight right onto Eddy Street, then a right onto Westminster Street. Look for the white tents, the Market is on the corner of Westminster and Union Streets.

From the South

Take 95 North to the Atwells Ave exit 21. Turn right onto Atwells Ave, then make your first left onto US-1 N. Make your next right onto Fountain Street. Slight right onto Eddy Street, then a right onto Westminster Street. Look for the white tents, the Market is on the corner of Westminster and Union Streets.

I'm totally looking forward to this!

K.

I have another question

We are printing up "call to vendors" posters and bringing them Dowtown to distribute next week. Where are some good places with high visbility to post (cafes, student centers, galleries, stores etc.) ?

Thanks

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The WBNA is a good resource for getting info out to the West End. Also, did someone already suggest the Decatur?

I should assume you're working with Farm Fresh RI on getting produce & other local food vendors, right?

Marketmanager- I wanted to send you a personal message, but I was denied. Are you accepting PMs?

• 2 months later...

reading through some of the older posts here...

marketmanager: i would strongly recommend updating the directions. as chemgeek said, exit 21 on 95N is for Broadway, not Atwells. also, i would use street names rather than US-1N (as i don't even think there are signs for US-1 down there). in fact, i think the directions might be wrong in regards to the turning onto fountain st (it says take a right, but from that direction, you can't take a right onto fountain).

I just came from the market. If you're thinking of going, definitely go! I just started a new ( job downtown and picked up a few things for my previously bland office - a plant, a beautiful cup and saucer. There's a lot of reasonably priced artwork, too. The guy at the organic plant stand said they will start selling produce soon. It's great to see so many people downtown on a Saturday!

I just came from the market. If you're thinking of going, definitely go! I just started a new ( job downtown and picked up a few things for my previously bland office - a plant, a beautiful cup and saucer. There's a lot of reasonably priced artwork, too. The guy at the organic plant stand said they will start selling produce soon. It's great to see so many people downtown on a Saturday!

I was there too. Bought a handmade Mother's Day card for my wife. The street was definitely hoppin', especially west of Dorrance. Some stores had placed some of their merchandise on the sidewalk which made for an even more vibrant streetscape. I was very encouraged and hopefully they will be able to sustain it for the long term.

oh and a petting zoo and pony rides. Also more street performers--folks who do chalk things in the street (close Union between Westminster and Weybosset) and jugglers. Even something as banal as face painting. kids dig that stuff.

i def did not like how dusty and rocky the surface is. I know its a "parking lot" and all, but its hard on strollers (not that i care about terribly about strollers since they are often in my way but i could see how parents were having a little trouble unless they had those 4x4 porsche of strollers) and anyone on crutches or a cane...Not sure anything can be done, but that surface sucks.

Edit: btw, its been over a year--when does cornish have to do their temporary landscaping?

exactly... while i didn't go with any thoughts of buying stuff, more to stroll around and meet soem people there, i don't think they'll continue to get large crowds if it's the same craft vendors week after week.

i also want a farmer's market... i can't get to the one downtown because it's on fridays and shuts down before i get out of work (and i don't get out of work late).

exactly... while the tazza tent was nice with some beverages, it was hot and the only cold thing they had out there was iced tea. aside from that, all they had was hot coffee, hot chocolate, and some other hot beverages. the iced tea was good though, although too much ice. i'm surprised there wasn't a del's cart at the very least.

while i'm not sure a petting zoo, pony rides, etc will be necessary, closing down union on that block would be a good idea. it's very lightly travelled, there's no entrance to that parking lot there, and it was full of people anyways.

some other suggestions aside from a better surface (which laying down some sod would do wonders for)... remove the chains along the sidewalk. there was a very small entrance that was blocked by some planters on the sidewalk and you could barely get around and in. it was not fun. take down the chains along the westminster sidewalk and it'll be much easier to get in and out.

also, i ate at tazza when i was there. we sat down at a table and it took no less than 30 minutes before a waitress even came out to us to ask us if we wanted anything. it felt like another 20 min between dropping off the menus and taking our orders, but she was very speedy at dropping off the check. you'd think they'd have more staff working on saturdays during this market...

Why would anyone think there should be pony rides, etc? This isn't a carnival, street fair or parade, it's an "Open Market".

Also, I was in Boston today and everything from Newbury St. to Chinatown was PACKED. You couldn't even walk on the street. Hopefully one day Providence will be this lively everywhere downtown on weekends.

Why would anyone think there should be pony rides, etc? This isn't a carnival, street fair or parade, it's an "Open Market".

Also, I was in Boston today and everything from Newbury St. to Chinatown was PACKED. You couldn't even walk on the street. Hopefully one day Providence will be this lively everywhere downtown on weekends.

Archived