Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nolli

The Map Thread!

24 posts in this topic

sorry, it is a great idea. Just too cold right now and icy and dark! WBNA actually has a cool business mappy thing called The West Side Guide....I just checked but it isn't online.

hey there.

i designed the map. haha, dont worry, as a graphic designer i get alot of criticism and dont take it personally.

BUT- wondering, does anyone have any suggestions for improvement?

i mean, the addresses are on there, right? even given the colors AND addresses, you couldnt find businesses??

it would be IMPOSSIBLE to place each and every business in its location on that map given the size. the size was dictated by cost of printing.

lately ive been designing LOTS of maps, its a hard challenge; constructive comments welcome.

The West Side Guide is a great idea, but is also utterly useless...

Let's say I am a visitor to the West Side, and am hungry. I go to "FOOD", and get a name and address of something that sounds good. Only the color code gives me a rough clue as to where it is, which puts me within a 6- or 8- block radius. Fine if I am on a Situationist-style "derive" and want to experience randomness, but quite aggravating if I am hungry.

Not all of the street names are on there, either...

I hate to complain, but when I picked it up I thought I could learn something new about the West Side neighborhood(s).

hey there.

i designed the map. haha, dont worry, as a graphic designer i get alot of criticism and dont take it personally.

BUT- wondering, does anyone have any suggestions for improvement?

i mean, the addresses are on there, right? even given the colors AND addresses, you couldnt find businesses??

it would be IMPOSSIBLE to place each and every business in its location on that map given the size. the size was dictated by cost of printing.

lately ive been designing LOTS of maps, its a hard challenge; constructive comments welcome.

more off-topic (sorry people)

there are 123 blocks on this map. would numbering really make it easier?? (or just busier?)

really for real, please suggest. for the downtown map, we did grids, but the squares were so large i thought color was better/easier to read..

do we need a map thread?

I like the colors. What's nice is that your eye goes towards an area. Maybe then a number for each BLOCK, so our radars could zero in on which stretch of Broadway we should be walking on? I am sure the size was restricting for all that info.

I realize this is off-topic, so apologies.

I've won! Hahahaha! Maps take over!

But seriously folks...

I'm not familiar with Laura's West Side and Downtown maps, but I can say an excellent map is the RIPTA-produced, RI Monthly-designed placemat-shaped map of Newport - showing public bathrooms, attractions, trolley/bus routes, etc. I used to work at the Gateway Center and it was the only map I'd ever use with tourists.

And welcome to the forum, Laura and Nolli. I'm a Newport groupie, so I hadn't seen you yet.

PS: Nolli. :lol:

does the map you speak of have ads around the edges? ill have to look for it.

I've won! Hahahaha! Maps take over!

But seriously folks...

I'm not familiar with Laura's West Side and Downtown maps, but I can say an excellent map is the RIPTA-produced, RI Monthly-designed placemat-shaped map of Newport - showing public bathrooms, attractions, trolley/bus routes, etc. I used to work at the Gateway Center and it was the only map I'd ever use with tourists.

And welcome to the forum, Laura and Nolli. I'm a Newport groupie, so I hadn't seen you yet.

PS: Nolli. :lol:

does the map you speak of have ads around the edges? ill have to look for it.

i don't find i need RI maps much, but i do love maps, and i buy lots of them, kind of like window shopping for vacation trips that i never go on. The ones i like the best are the booklet style that fold up, and are laminated, and the ones (especially for europe) that look exactly like a small book and unfold to be several different kinds of maps, and include a compass.

Don't anyone forget about The Map Store on North Main. That guy has everything, including large aerial printouts.

When I lived in New York I had two credit card sized maps of the subway system in my wallet. They were lifesavers!

When I lived in New York I had two credit card sized maps of the subway system

When I lived in New York I had two credit card sized maps of the subway system in my wallet. They were lifesavers!

When I first moved to New York, I had a compass, so when I climbed out of a mole-hole subway tunnel, I could orient.

The best city to not get lost in is Philadelphia. Their numbered streets and numbered blocks make it impossible to get lost. Don't even need a map!

I prefer the charm of the new england cities that follow the rivers and hills that used to be there. I like being of the priveledge minority that know the secrets of getting around. Probably the wrong attitude, huh?

I prefer the charm of the new england cities that follow the rivers and hills that used to be there. I like being of the priveledge minority that know the secrets of getting around. Probably the wrong attitude, huh?

cities should be navigable... let the country roads follow hills and rivers.

i like grids... and hate driving in the JD. hopefully that'll change when 195 is moved... maybe they'll extend the downcity grid to the JD. :thumbsup:

The best city to not get lost in is Philadelphia. Their numbered streets and numbered blocks make it impossible to get lost. Don't even need a map!

Even with a map, I've found Washington, DC the most difficult city to drive through. You really have to pay close attention to the NE, SE, NW & SW street designations. New York City is a breeze. Toronto is pretty good also.

I've started playing with GIS. I'd like to experiment with mapping key MBTA bus routes in ways that encourage bus-phobic commuters to hop onto one. But in the meantime this is my attempt to use a weak link in the RIPTA schedule--Sundays--to visually represent the frequency of RIPTA bus routes.

ripta2od2.jpg