Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cheshireguy

Downtown Market Ideas

13 posts in this topic

I lived on Heritage Hill for years and always hated to drive up Fulton to the D&W for my grocery needs. I have a good friend that lives in Boston that walks about three blocks to an old-fashioned, big-city style market to buy his meats, milk, and produce, paper towles, etc., along with other staple items. I was always so jealous of that aspect of his city living lifestyle. Do you think with the influx of downtown living spaces coupled with the large living areas already existing (along Monroe North, around Health Hill, etc.), Grand Rapids' downtown could support a nice market of that type? I love the Grand Central Market, but buy a tube of toothepaste there. Exactly. It seems like the Meijer Corporation could put something together to build (or buy) a 2-3 story market with everything you need but no frills - produce, drugs (not that kind!), hygene products, bath essentials, etc. I am now in Cheshire Village and would gladly drive (or maybe take the train :) downtown to pick up weekly groceries instead of out to Knapp/Beltline. Comments?????

I lived on Heritage Hill for years and always hated to drive up Fulton to the D&W for my grocery needs. I have a good friend that lives in Boston that walks about three blocks to an old-fashioned, big-city style market to buy his meats, milk, and produce, paper towles, etc., along with other staple items. I was always so jealous of that aspect of his city living lifestyle. Do you think with the influx of downtown living spaces coupled with the large living areas already existing (along Monroe North, around Health Hill, etc.), Grand Rapids' downtown could support a nice market of that type? I love the Grand Central Market, but buy a tube of toothepaste there. Exactly. It seems like the Meijer Corporation could put something together to build (or buy) a 2-3 story market with everything you need but no frills - produce, drugs (not that kind!), hygene products, bath essentials, etc. I am now in Cheshire Village and would gladly drive (or maybe take the train :) downtown to pick up weekly groceries instead of out to Knapp/Beltline. Comments?????

It wasn't so much the drive or the shopping than it was regretting not being able to walk downtown to do the shopping. I love the idea of supporting our downtown businesses, and actually go outof my way often to do it. I lived on the Union Street hill, just north of Fulton, so I also hated losing my parking spot!!!!

It wasn't so much the drive or the shopping than it was regretting not being able to walk downtown to do the shopping. I love the idea of supporting our downtown businesses, and actually go outof my way often to do it. I lived on the Union Street hill, just north of Fulton, so I also hated losing my parking spot!!!!

Martha's Vineyard has greatly expanded what they offer in the last couple of years (they have more space now). It's all very high quality stuff. If you don't mind the prices, you can (in theory) find everything one would need there including most toiletries

They're a bit light on meats and fresh produce but they do have a little of everything. It's just a matter of whether people demand Meijer prices and selection from a small store in the Hill...which is impossible. Unfortunately the mentality is to drive a considerable distance to save money.

Don't get me wrong -- love the Kingma's and Martha's Vineyard alot, esp. Martha's , where I can find any special brew beer I want. But neither place really has it all. If I need to pick up some cheese for a dinner party, either is okay. But neither place has everything you need to complete your shopping list. I would love it if downtown could have an all-in-one place like that, so if any entrepenuers are out there looking at this thread, get it going! I'll be there.

A downtown market or grocery store is being discussed here and has been mentioned in numerous other posts. I think I will weigh in here. I cut my eye teeth in the grocery business. In my prior life in North West Indiana I managed a very large grocery store for an independent chain., Strack and Van Til

I agree with what Lighthouse Dave is saying, but would add this:

There are developers sniffing around at the prospect of creating an urban grocery store. It may not be in the core, but could end up closer to the city than any of the other current grocery stores. Heritage Hill or Fulton Street (closer to downtown than Fulton Heights Foods) could be possibilities. A problem is land acquisition, as they will need more land than what is easily assembled at these locations, primarily for parking. Other dominoes would have to fall, especially in regards to some existing grocers. It most likely will not be a Meijer endeavor.

The margins may be low, but a downtown grocery store could get away with higher prices if it's convenient for downtown residents. I just wonder if we really have enough downtown residents yet. Perhaps with Riverhouse and Icon coming online, but the Alpine Meijer is close enough that it would still probably be tough.

I remember the old grocery store in the Plaza Towers. I lived downtown at the time and even I hardly went there, though I did frequent that little store to the west of Fulton.