Olympics in Charlotte? Could it ever happen?

Jrb986

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is BOA Stadium a "soccer" stadium? Is there any difference in designs between a football stadium and a soccer stadium? It did hold the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship in 1999 and 2000 but I don't remember how it was received and what kind of attendance there was and I can only think of one other time that BOA Stadium had a soccer game and that was a very sparcely attended match between two professional soccer teams from Mexico where attendance was estimated to be less than 500.

I believe Charlotte, as nice as it can be in wintertime is still too cold of a place to host the SuperBowl w/out a Dome. Heck, Atlanta never hosted a Superbowl until they opened the Georgia Dome.

Remember, we actually had snow in early February this past year, right around the time of the Super Bowl. The NFL would never go for that, w/out the option of a dome. Yes, Jax hosted a Super Bowl, but they never get cold enough for snow. Heck, I doubt they've ever been below freezing.

Why not go after the Republican or Democrat National Convention, or like someone else said, the World Cup(even though I could care less about soccer). Or, why not go after another Final Four in college hoops? Those are manageable events that would not cost too much to put on, and would bring a lot of benefit to the area.

I believe Charlotte, as nice as it can be in wintertime is still too cold of a place to host the SuperBowl w/out a Dome. Heck, Atlanta never hosted a Superbowl until they opened the Georgia Dome.

Remember, we actually had snow in early February this past year, right around the time of the Super Bowl. The NFL would never go for that, w/out the option of a dome. Yes, Jax hosted a Super Bowl, but they never get cold enough for snow. Heck, I doubt they've ever been below freezing.

Why not go after the Republican or Democrat National Convention, or like someone else said, the World Cup(even though I could care less about soccer). Or, why not go after another Final Four in college hoops? Those are manageable events that would not cost too much to put on, and would bring a lot of benefit to the area.

I'm all for a political convention, World Cup, or Final Four (although we are out of the running for Final Four, as they require at least 30,000 seating capacity, usually in domed stadiums, which we don't have), but the Super Bowl is something we definitely can get. The only thing restricting us is the # of hotel rooms, and even that isn't that big of a deal, as we are building tons of rooms and we are easily able to handle events at the speedway, which draw upwards of 100k people. We are within the limits for weather, and that should get better as time goes on (thank you global warming!!!! :))

Archived