NewBridge Bank Park

cityboi

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are awesome pictures, and it looks like great attendance too. I'd like to echo the comment before--baseball is definitely the best sport to host downtown. It's out-doorsy, usually takes place in warm weather, relatively low stress, social, etc. People can make use of the urban ammenities pre and post game, and enjoy great city views during the game.

Football stadiums need lots of room for tailgating (something that can't be done too well in Charlotte), so they are best served in a less urban setting. Basketball would not allow for such great skyline views due to its indoor nature, though I suppose the urban setting comes in handy pre and post game (i.e. Charlotte). The same could be said for Hockey.

The only other outdoor sport I can think of that would fit a more urban setting is Soccer. I'm not sure what a live professional Soccer game is like though, my only experience is playing it through middle school and high school in a suburban high school soccer field setting--definitely a different affair. :lol:

But I digress... I've mentioned this a few times before in other threads, but I think some of us should get together for a "piedmont meet" in Greensboro for one of the games this summer. Some of us could even ride the Piedmont train (or Carolinian), have lunch or dinner at some place on Elm, then catch a game, or whatever... If they open the train station part of the Southern Railway station soon enough, the train passengers could experience it first hand :thumbsup: Maybe it will all work out. At any rate, I would definitely be cool with that and would love to meet some of you in person. :)

I think some of us should get together for a "piedmont meet" in Greensboro for one of the games this summer. Some of us could even ride the Piedmont train (or Carolinian), have lunch or dinner at some place on Elm, then catch a game, or whatever... If they open the train station part of the Southern Railway station soon enough, the train passengers could experience it first hand

Those are really nice,thanks for the movies and photos Cityboi. I really like the courtyard leading up to the stadium. Its good to see it bringing people to the downtown area. Can you tell if it is having an effect on causing more businesses to open in the area?

Thanks! actually there is a massive residential/office/retail village planned next to the stadium and includes a hotel and a mini-supermarket like the Harris Teeter in uptown Charlotte. 5-story condos will overlook outer left field. Maybe even the hotel will overlook the field as well. You can read more about it on my website

http://www.downtownstadium.org/bellemeadevillage.html

There is also another parcel of land across the street from the stadium that the county is planning to sell and developers galore have been asking about that property.

two regular season home games have already been played and its still a packed house. I cant wait til they start talking about expanding the stadium because thats exactly what they are going to have to do if these attendance numbers keep breaking the 8,000 mark.

Wow! Those pictures are great! Seeing the stadium complete and with all the people there seems almost like a dream. Us here in GSO have waited a long time for this. Fortunately, construction progressed remarkably quick and everything was ready in time for the first game. Good job! Thanks for sharing. Oh and by the way I am new here :D

• 4 months later...

Greensboro's new downtown ballpark is getting great reviews so far. Here is a link to the reviews and there are some picture, including of a firework dsiplay. I would post them directly here but the website owner doesnt allow using the photos. I love the last picture which shows a night time view of stadium during a game from atop the 8 story parking deck for the Marriott

First Horizon Park is afficially know as having the best ballpark barbeque sandwich in the Carolinas.

http://www.baseballparks.com/Greensboro.asp

here are some pictures I took tonight at the game. The Greensboro Grasshoppers were playing against the Hickory Crawdads and the Grass Hoppers beat Hickory in the last inning with a home run bases loaded. They have the firework show every home game on Friday night. Tonight was the last Friday home game.

septgame1.jpg

septgame2.jpg

septgame3.jpg

septgame4.jpg

septgame5.jpg

septgame6.jpg

septgame7.jpg

septgame8.jpg

septgame9.jpg

septgame10.jpg

septgame11.jpg

septgame12.jpg

septgame13.jpg

septgame14.jpg

septgame15.jpg

septgame16.jpg

septgame17.jpg

septgame18.jpg

septgame19.jpg

septgame20.jpg

septgame21.jpg

septgame22.jpg

septgame23.jpg

septgame24.jpg

septgame25.jpg

septgame26.jpg

septgame27.jpg

septgame28.jpg

septgame29.jpg

septgame30.jpg

septgame31.jpg

septgame32.jpg

septgame33.jpg

Hope you enjoyed! :)

Here is the video link. Just right click the link and save it. You may need Quicktime to view it.

http://www.downtownstadium.org/septgamevideo.MOV

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice pics!!

:D I am glad that you caught my fav downtown building at night.....the one with the bluish colored triangle shaped lighting at the top. I call it the "Lego Building" :D

Archived