New State Office Building at 8th and Broad St

wrldcoupe4

Sorry... takes a while to get back from Richmond :) Overall, the presentation didn't have any big surprises or things we didn't really know. The new building will have a pricetag of about $200 million. In designing the building, the state wanted a building that would last (quote/unquote) forever. It's got some really neat architectural elements and will be designed in a way that the space can be adapted to change with the times. There will be two retail spaces at 8th and Broad St. The old Richmond Hotel (9th St office building) will be meticulously refurbished. In researching the building and probing it, they've found some amazing architectural details that have been hidden for decades. The lobby will be restored to its original state, beautiful skylights with the seal of the Richmond Hotel will be re-exposed, and the 2nd level overlooking the lobby may contain a restaurant (at least that's what one architect is hoping for). Plenty of other things as well, just can't remember them all. Also, he whole project should also attain LEED Silver certification. So while it sucks that the Murphy will be gone, I think the state is really trying to do its very best on this project and I think we should be impressed.

The only thing that makes me a little nervous... money has been appropriated for the demolition of the Murphy, and design of the replacement, but funds for the actual construction of the new building have not. Gov. Kaine will be proposing it for the next budget, but it's up to the general assembly to make it happen. If everything goes smoothly, construction would start next July with completion in 2010. However, if the assembly acts stupid, we may be stuck with a surface lot for longer than any of us would like. Best thing to do is for all of us to write to our representatives demanding their support for the funds so that the project can begin ASAP.

If I remember anything else I'll post it later.

Oh!!! Something really spectacular! Work is underway for submitting the required information to have the State Capitol building gain the title of a World Heritage Site. Other World Heritage Sites include the Pyramids at Giza, Great Wall of China, Statue of Liberty, Stonehenge etc etc etc....

Thanks for reporting on proposals for the new state office building, Coupe. Is the rendering we have seen still representative of what we may expect?

I have to say it is a bit of a stretch to put Jefferson's Capitol building among the ranks of Egypt's Pyramids and The Great Wall of China. But World-wide recognition would be nice. :)

I have to say it is a bit of a stretch to put Jefferson's Capitol building among the ranks of Egypt's Pyramids and The Great Wall of China. But World-wide recognition would be nice. :)

It actually might not be that much of a stretch. Jefferson's academical village at UVa and his plantation home, Monticello, have enjoyed World Heritage Site status since 1987. Why not the capitol building too? Then Virginia would be able to claim 2 of the United States' 20 World Heritage Sites (3/21 if you count UVa and Monticello separately). You can see the list of all world heritiage sites at the UNESCO website.

Edited by gntrphoo

It actually might not be that much of a stretch. Jefferson's academical village at UVa and his plantation home, Monticello, have enjoyed World Heritage Site status since 1987. Why not the capitol building too? Then Virginia would be able to claim 2 of the United States' 20 World Heritage Sites (3/21 if you count UVa and Monticello separately). You can see the list of all world heritiage sites at the UNESCO website.

That's quite a list, gntrphoo. You're right! If Philadelphia's Independence Hall can be on there, our Capitol ought to be as well.

• 1 month later...

"Broken Necklace: The loss of the Eighth Street Office Building is greater than you might think"

Style's Ed Slipek isn't a fan of the plans slated for the Murphy, and he makes valid points. Too bad it's too late for debate.

The Eighth Street Office Building has long been part of a spectacular procession of some of our city

• 1 month later...

Actually Cam, I've heard that there are certain "incentives" built into this building proposal that should hopefully make it difficult for the General Assembly not to quickly approve funding. However, depending on how much money they are willing to pay out, we may not end up with the currently proposed structure... it could cost something like $200 million.

Actually Cam, I've heard that there are certain "incentives" built into this building proposal that should hopefully make it difficult for the General Assembly not to quickly approve funding. However, depending on how much money they are willing to pay out, we may not end up with the currently proposed structure... it could cost something like $200 million.

I believe a caveat to those opposing demolition of Murphy's was that its replacement would be "a signature" building? And wasn't $200 million for the entire project, including renovation of Richmond Hotel, pretty much accepted?

• 2 weeks later...

The $200 million figure is a pretty good estimate, but not set in stone. The General Assembly hasn't accepted the price tag yet, considering they've only given the green light to demo work.

Speaking of the demo work... the rear section that was only 4 or 5 stories is almost gone. Most of the roof materials appear to have been stripped off. All the Windows are now open and they have added a platform lift along the Broad St Facade... I thought they were tearing down the entire building, or are the doing a renovation on portions of it?