New State Office Building at 8th and Broad St

wrldcoupe4

I remember reading in the T-D that the Republicans did not want funding to go through for this project.

Does anyone know if the FY 2009 budget includes this project?

I'm guessing its part of the bond referendum, which is up for an april vote. The Department of Taxation also has a bid out there to get a new building, which I know is part of the bond referendum.

I'm guessing its part of the bond referendum, which is up for an april vote. The Department of Taxation also has a bid out there to get a new building, which I know is part of the bond referendum.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...03-30-0232.html

This story couldn't have come at a better time as far as discussion on this thread is concerned.

Sometimes, it makes sence to spend big bucks when the return is a sparkling, new, modern structure. Makes more sence than throwing money down the toilet to upkeep a gravel lot and make repairs on an obsolete building.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...03-30-0232.html

This story couldn't have come at a better time as far as discussion on this thread is concerned.

Sometimes, it makes sence to spend big bucks when the return is a sparkling, new, modern structure. Makes more sence than throwing money down the toilet to upkeep a gravel lot and make repairs on an obsolete building.

Since when did Virginia Republican's make sense?

Since when did Virginia Republican's make sense?

Well, I can think of 2 things off the top of my head:

1. Elimination of the Car Tax - this tax has to be one of the most oppressive taxes known. Why do I have to continue to 'rent' my car from the city? (Jim Gilmore)

2. Elimination of Parole - numbers don't lie. (George Allen)

I understand that they want to be good stewards of our tax dollars and may be afraid of looking like the money-throwing dems in this, but I sure wish they could see past the trees to observe the forest on this one.

Actually the car tax was probably the most fair tax ever conceived. The "elimination"* of it threw the commonwealth into dept and it took a bipartisan income tax increase to balance the budget. Localities, never reimbursed by the state for the loss of revenue, turned to user fees and increases in property tax assessments to make ends meet. Truth is you're probably taxed more now than when you were paying 100% of the car tax and you've lost services. Brilliant.

* It was not eliminated and not just because the tax was passed on but because it was in fact a 75% reduction in the tax, not an elimination

As for parole, the only thing more profitable than crime is punishment. I'm glad that you are comfortable with a bounty placed on the head of every VA citizen, but I'm not. The insane part is that your tax money is used to pay private companies to house and feed often times innocent and nonviolent people for life. Corrections companies lobbying for no parole is like McDonalds introducing legislation to make the Atkins diet illegal. To add insult to injury it is incumbent on the Commonwealth to pay for everyone

Edited by Brent

Actually the car tax was probably the most fair tax ever conceived. The "elimination"* of it threw the commonwealth into dept and it took a bipartisan income tax increase to balance the budget. Localities, never reimbursed by the state for the loss of revenue, turned to user fees and increases in property tax assessments to make ends meet. Truth is you're probably taxed more now than when you were paying 100% of the car tax and you've lost services. Brilliant.

* It was not eliminated and not just because the tax was passed on but because it was in fact a 75% reduction in the tax, not an elimination

As for parole, the only thing more profitable than crime is punishment. I'm glad that you are comfortable with a bounty placed on the head of every VA citizen, but I'm not. The insane part is that your tax money is used to pay private companies to house and feed often times innocent and nonviolent people for life. Corrections companies lobbying for no parole is like McDonalds introducing legislation to make the Atkins diet illegal. To add insult to injury it is incumbent on the Commonwealth to pay for everyone's Extra Value Meal...

That's your opinion. My opinion is that the car tax is oppressive. Like I said, why do I have to 'rent' my car from the city? That's bull-fecal-material! Obviously, a majority of voters in this state agree with my opinion, because Jim Gilmore was elected on that promise.

Along comes Mark Warner (democrat). Now, he's not the worst we have ever had, but it was HE that reversed the phase-out of the car tax, not a republican. My opinions were in response to the comment about when have republicans ever made sence?

On to parole. Sure, let's just tell felons that they don't have to do ANY time. Then we won't have to house ANY of them or pay ANY taxes to house them. I don't subscribe to your 'bounty' comparison mainly because I do not believe that there are private companies lining-up to build prisons. I am not sure if there are ANY state prisons in Virginia that are owned/operated by private companies anyway. Are they all Department of Corrections owned/operated? As for feeding and housing supposed 'innocent' people, well, I have never met an 'innocent' criminal. I have faith in our judicial system.

I really do feel that the funding for this new building will not take place this year. Maybe the G.A. is waiting for a republican Governor so the building can be named after Bliley.

That's your opinion. My opinion is that the car tax is oppressive. Like I said, why do I have to 'rent' my car from the city? That's bull-fecal-material! Obviously, a majority of voters in this state agree with my opinion, because Jim Gilmore was elected on that promise.

Along comes Mark Warner (democrat). Now, he's not the worst we have ever had, but it was HE that reversed the phase-out of the car tax, not a republican. My opinions were in response to the comment about when have republicans ever made sence?

On to parole. Sure, let's just tell felons that they don't have to do ANY time. Then we won't have to house ANY of them or pay ANY taxes to house them. I don't subscribe to your 'bounty' comparison mainly because I do not believe that there are private companies lining-up to build prisons. I am not sure if there are ANY state prisons in Virginia that are owned/operated by private companies anyway. Are they all Department of Corrections owned/operated? As for feeding and housing supposed 'innocent' people, well, I have never met an 'innocent' criminal. I have faith in our judicial system.

I really do feel that the funding for this new building will not take place this year. Maybe the G.A. is waiting for a republican Governor so the building can be named after Bliley.

Why not just build the place and if there is too much extra space (which isnt going to be the case) let the Richmond City Schools rent space... keeping them downtown, but far enough away from Wilder as to KILL TWO BIRDS with one stone.

• 4 weeks later...

The state leases hundreds of thousands of square feet of office space downtown... they could easily colocate different agencies within a new building. My gut tells me we have another surface lot for at least another year... but I'd love for GA to prove it wrong.

Does yesterday's Legislative approval of the bond sale include the Murphy site? It is not mentioned in this story.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...04-24-0198.html

Unfurtunately Burt, I heard from a good source this morning that the Murphy replacement is not included.

According to a reliable source late this morning:

"...the bond bill includes a provision directing the state to solicit private companies to develop the Broad Street lot. They're due in September and subject to the approval of the 2009 General Assembly."

Based on that, there's no guarantee, but it doesn't sound hopeless, IMO.

• 1 month later...

Update from Heath at RCW who attended the pre-bid meeting on 6/5/08:

- About 100 people attended, mostly developers, some representatives from the state, city, architectural firm, and others.

- Developers came from DC/NoVA, Baltimore, Norfolk, Charlotte, as well as local ones.

- The state is going to occupy 80% of the building(s).

- The architect must be retained on all proposals (Commonwealth Architects - Richmond)

- Can use existing drawings, produce new ones, or a combination of the two (I think most will use the existing with some modifications - most noteable were questions raised to expanding the new building upward)

- Only those in attendance can submit a bid/proposal

- Site visits to the existing 9th Street Building will be in July

- All RFI's need to be in by end of July

- Proposals are due the end of August

Update from Heath at RCW who attended the pre-bid meeting on 6/5/08:

Fabulous report Coupe, via Heath!!! I'm so glad my "source" was correct about the bidding process and time line.

And Commonwealth Archictects HAVE to be on board! Yea!!

And it might even go HIGHER!

And it likely will stay pretty true to original renderings.

We're just going to have to rename the roadway between 12th and 4th "Broad Street Boulevard!"

Whewwwwwww... for the 2009-2010 budget, the State has allocated $185 million for this new building:

View from Northeast

newstaterend1.jpg

View from Northwest

newstaterend2.jpg

View from Southwest

newstaterend3.jpg

In light of today's news in the postings immediately above, I am bringing forward the renderings that Coupe gave us last December.

Edited by burt

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard more about this building's future? We know that 18 developers submitted bids, but I suppose the matter was not discussed in the recent special session of the GA.

Journi, the roof may not be entirely "green", but the renderings show a number of trees on upper levels.

• 4 months later...

Nope... only for demo and design, not construction - hence the switch to a public private partnership concept.

House Bill 5001 and Senate Bill 5001 of the 2008 General Assembly Special Session I directed the Department of General Services to solicit PPEA proposals for the renovation of the 9th Street Office Building and for the replacement of the 8th Street Office Building. The findings will be reported to the 2009 General Assembly.

HB 5001 and SB 5001: “That the Department of General Services is hereby directed to solicit for proposals under the Public Private Education Facilities and Infrastructure Act of 2002 (

Edited by wrldcoupe4

• 2 months later...