New State Office Building at 8th and Broad St

wrldcoupe4

The floating buildings truly are a masterpiece. Maybe if the New Dominion Tower ends up floating like in this pic, it will be taller than the Westin in Va Beach! Really does do a great job though of showing how the proposed buildings will impact the skyline in terms of density. Thanks RVA-Is-The-Best for making this masterpiece.  :D

Edited by blopp1234
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

This construction site has gone eerily dormant as I think the demolition is done. I think this site will remain dormant for a while...or until a final design is agreed upon. I hate to see nothing going on here for a while, but we will now just have to wait for construction to begin. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Shakman said:

I thought it was all finalized? 

No, not yet. I know there was an article on it (can’t find it), but I did find this WRIC news channel 8 story saying that they are hoping the final design is approved by the end of this year.  So, until then, the site will remain dormant.  The new building is scheduled to open in 2021. 

https://www.wric.com/news/progress-made-on-new-general-assembly-building_20180620224216/1252211672

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know we were expecting a parking deck, but I can't be anymore disappointed in this. To go from the beautiful new General Assembly Building to plopping this right next to it is just a disservice to the area. I know it's supposed to be a parking deck, but I was really hoping for something that look less like a concrete block and engaged the street better. 

Also kill the tunnel! I know politicians will do anything to avoid the public, but the tunnel means that everyone who works in the GAB and parks here can technically never set foot on the street, thus keeping the area void of pedestrian traffic. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There has been little movement on this construction site since they completed demolition of the old building a few months ago, but it looks like yesterday (Friday) construction crews placed steel beams on the site in preparation for construction.  I haven't heard anything on whether the design was finally approved or not, but the original plan was for the design to be approved this month (with construction beginning right after).  Hopefully, we see construction beginning here soon as well as a new tower crane, which I predict you will be able to see in the skyline very well...especially traveling up I-95 from the south!

Construction to begin at the General Assembly Building?  7 Dec 18

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 4