New State Office Building at 8th and Broad St

wrldcoupe4

1 hour ago, RVAbigdawg said:

It's nice to finally see some sort of activity happening over there.  

There has been even more activity around there as of late, so things are starting to get moving again it appears.  Seems to be about 8-10 dudes there these past few days, so it isn't full-on construction, but there is definitely activity going on.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I haven’t even heard if the final design for this building has been approved yet.  Did I just miss it?  If a design hasn’t been approved yet, then why and who is paying for the work currently going on here?  Work is going painfully slow.  Wish some serious movement would happen soon. 

• 4 weeks later...

First bit of news regarding the status of this project in a very long time.  Up next:  digging a tunnel.  Also, looks like the design isn’t even finalized yet (which confirms what I was tracking):

https://www.wric.com/news/politics/capitol-connection/next-phase-on-general-assembly-building-starts-after-memorial-day/2025194467

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Hike said:

A 300-foot-tall crane will be assembled in late June“probably the largest crane anybody will see in this city,” Damico said — and work on the foundation will begin.

Considering we have had several much taller just recently, and I imagine will in the near future, that is a silly statement.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW,  DGS sent out an alert that the tower crane will be assembled from 6/21 to 6/24. It will have an initial height of 307’ with a “hook height” of 277’, and later will got to 340’ and 310’, respectively. I have no idea what that means for building height. The crane will be in place until early 2021.

• Like 1

64 though Newport News is much nicer these days! 

When I was a kid, you could see more of the skyline.  The trees along 64 have really grown up over the past 30 years.   There’s a house on a hill right at the laburnum exit (west bound side) .  In high school the front yard was completely open (the house must be from the mid-80’s).   Now you can’t see it even looking for it.   Nothing like seeing an area become reforested to make a guy feel old (late 40’s). 

Excited to see this crane! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Cool to see this crane and the 2 others at VCUHS from the Diamond tonight. Soon to be 4 with the Children’s Hospital. 

Damn. Is it really that tall?

With this in mind, I imagine the buildings themselves will add a lot of heft to the back end of the skyline (facing from 95/64 north of downtown)

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 1