wrldcoupe4

New State Office Building at 8th and Broad St

This construction site has gone eerily dormant as I think the demolition is done. I think this site will remain dormant for a while...or until a final design is agreed upon. I hate to see nothing going on here for a while, but we will now just have to wait for construction to begin. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Shakman said:

I thought it was all finalized? 

No, not yet. I know there was an article on it (can’t find it), but I did find this WRIC news channel 8 story saying that they are hoping the final design is approved by the end of this year.  So, until then, the site will remain dormant.  The new building is scheduled to open in 2021. 

https://www.wric.com/news/progress-made-on-new-general-assembly-building_20180620224216/1252211672

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sucks.  I was looking forward for another tower crane or two, at the same time as 600 Canal, to be in the skyline.  

They probably took it down for the storm (fence less likely to blow over if it doesn’t have a sail attached?). 

This will be the parking deck next to the New General Assembly building - taking up the empty corner lot- RTD article linked here - there is some controversy over no public parking available in the deck so that may change by adding spaces for public, another deck built perhaps, to be continued.

https://www.richmond.com/news/plus/general-assembly-leaders-promise-more-public-parking-around-capitol-square/article_c6aabbb5-160f-5cd2-856d-2f56a7df1bbf.html

5bbe4b7f03469.image.jpg

GA DECK.png

• Thanks 1

I know we were expecting a parking deck, but I can't be anymore disappointed in this. To go from the beautiful new General Assembly Building to plopping this right next to it is just a disservice to the area. I know it's supposed to be a parking deck, but I was really hoping for something that look less like a concrete block and engaged the street better. 

Also kill the tunnel! I know politicians will do anything to avoid the public, but the tunnel means that everyone who works in the GAB and parks here can technically never set foot on the street, thus keeping the area void of pedestrian traffic. 

• Like 1

I second the “kill the tunnel” idea. 

For parking decks, I find this to be pretty attractive.  I assume that the building will be white (or light tan).  It’s similar to the Federal Reserve bank building and the very attractive deck at 6th and Franklin. 

• Like 1

It really needs some potential retail frontage on the Broad Street side.  Having voids on the side streets could be acceptable but not that stretch of Broad.

• Like 1

If I’m not mistaken, I read that they are going back to the drawing board to consider ground-level retail.  So stay tuned. 

• Like 3