New State Office Building at 8th and Broad St

wrldcoupe4

• 4 months later...

This will add a lot of density to that stretch of Broad Street and the street level retail will be a welcome sight!

The tough part will be getting it through the recalcitrant House of Delegates. The Democratic majority in the Senate will probably go along with Kaine's proposal. Fingers are crossed in hopes of approval and fast track construction.!!!

It's a good looking building from all angles.

Side Bar: When it gets built, workers there and in the new Federal Court House will probably flock to Johnny and Katrina Giavos' restaurant in the National Theater for lunch and happy hour. And maybe stay downtown for a concert there or a performance in Richmond Center Stage. :)

Edited by burt

Now if the GA approves the FY09-FY10 budget with the funding for this building, then the money would be available on July 1, 2008 when FY2009 begins, correct?

I wonder how ready the state is to begin construction? Funding is a big step, I hope it'll make it through session.

it's kinda weird to think that 2010 really isn't that far off.

I remember a state official saying that demo would wrap up in early 08... and that if funding came through as expected that new construction would begin pretty soon into the new budget year.

Id say they are right on schedule then (how rare for a government project) and they are 95% done with the demo. They only have to remove some minor trash and any equipment leftover.

Well if approved, the money for this building will be available on January 1, 2009. Unless the GA marks it as "emergency" then it will be available on July 1, 2008.

This funding will most likely be approved, I asked someone I know who works for a Delegate, and was told that this is a needed building. If, for any reason, it gives the GA members a parking garage underneath the new building. Right now they're parking in the Library of Virginia's underground garage because you can't park on the Capital Grounds anymore. And many staff members park as far away as 3rd & Marshall (which is far for some to walk).

The General Assembly really wants this parking garage, so if anything, they'll approve it for that reason. They do need the office space, but parking is paramount.

They also need this building to be built so that it can be used as swing space while the General Assembly office building receives a very necessary renovation.... Several incentives have been built in to this building to make it more attractive to the GA.

lch4, thanks for your first-hand comments. What are the chances, if approved, it will be declared "emergency" and, thus, become effective in July of '08?

Coupe, do you suppose some height could be added to the building in order to provide more parking?

Why can't some kind of attractive parking garage be constructed across Broad from old City Hall? Apparently the planned Children's Hospital is no longer viable.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I'd like to see any parking contained underground around the Capitol / along Broad

Just a quick update on this... they have placed wheel stops on the gravelled lot and are now parking cars here. here's hoping that the money gets approved quickly, we don't need another surface lot!

Just a quick update on this... they have placed wheel stops on the gravelled lot and are now parking cars here. here's hoping that the money gets approved quickly, we don't need another surface lot!

Let's hope this is a temporary -- VERY temporary -- use of the land, and that soon a very deep hole is dug so that multi levels of underground parking will support the beautiful new building.

• 1 month later...

What are the chances of funding for this project remaining in the state budget?

The way I hear it, the funding will not pass this year. Maybe next year. The General Assembly consensus is that the building is not needed. They don't even want to refurbish the building they are in which is outdated and in desperate need of repair. So look for this lot to remain gravel parking for at least another year. I believe it will get built eventually, but funding does not look good this year.

IMO, if this lot remains gravel surfaced parking for a period of 2 years, the city should take the lot per emminent domain and sell the lot to a private developer for development. This has been done in other states for the benefit of the tax base and has been approved by the supreme court. You may remember the flap about the supreme court judge from Vermont, I believe, who voted in favor of municipalities using emminent domain for private development as a benefit to the community at large. I don't see why the city couldn't exercise this same option when it comes to the state maintaining a blighted parcel on Broad Street. Of course, the city would have to do something with the gravel hole on the south side of Broad between 6th and 7th first.

The way I hear it, the funding will not pass this year. Maybe next year. The General Assembly consensus is that the building is not needed. They don't even want to refurbish the building they are in which is outdated and in desperate need of repair. So look for this lot to remain gravel parking for at least another year. I believe it will get built eventually, but funding does not look good this year.

IMO, if this lot remains gravel surfaced parking for a period of 2 years, the city should take the lot per emminent domain and sell the lot to a private developer for development. This has been done in other states for the benefit of the tax base and has been approved by the supreme court. You may remember the flap about the supreme court judge from Vermont, I believe, who voted in favor of municipalities using emminent domain for private development as a benefit to the community at large. I don't see why the city couldn't exercise this same option when it comes to the state maintaining a blighted parcel on Broad Street. Of course, the city would have to do something with the gravel hole on the south side of Broad between 6th and 7th first.

I thought the General Assembly passed laws a few years ago to prevent here what happened in Vermont. Besides, I don't think the city can take state property. I just have this imagery of someone from the city going to the state saying "we're taking this land under eminent domain" and the state just laughing that person out of the office.

I may be wrong, but I really don't think a locality can seize state property.

I thought the General Assembly passed laws a few years ago to prevent here what happened in Vermont. Besides, I don't think the city can take state property. I just have this imagery of someone from the city going to the state saying "we're taking this land under eminent domain" and the state just laughing that person out of the office.

I may be wrong, but I really don't think a locality can seize state property.

I do believe you are correct. It seems that I remember a couple of years back, Virginia opposing the use of emminent domain for private development. I made that comment in jest. I guess what I was trying to pick at is that even if the city could exercise e.d. over the state, they would have a difficult time winning their case with a similar gravel lot a couple of blocks away.

I really do hope that the G.A. will approve this. The renderings are something else, although, it is really nice to be able to see St. Peters Cathedral from Broad Street. When I was at the National last weekend, I looked over there and couldn't help but wonder how long it has been since that side of the church has been seen. Also, one has to wonder how long can the state permit rainwater to perk down through the gravel surface lot and accumulate in the old basement of the Murphy. The rubble and debris from the demo of the last few floors was used to fill the basement and you know that water has to be accumulating under that. Kind of like a big french drain. I envision this problem being addressed within a year, so it would make sence to me that the state would cough up the money to begin construction as they will most certainly be spending a million plus to address the soupbowl effect anyway.