New State Office Building at 8th and Broad St

wrldcoupe4

On 6/28/2019 at 1:42 PM, eandslee said:

That’s the baby pool for the extrmemly high dive off the crane!!

Really though, what is that baby pool for anyway?!

On 6/28/2019 at 2:13 PM, Hike said:

I wondered that too, have no idea.  They're going to tunnel under 9th street and have underground access to the parking deck there, perhaps it's something to do with that, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Remember, feet first!

It looks like a footing for the columns, which will rise above.  The person next to the tower is standing in another "kiddy pool". 

It could also be an elevator pit.

Edited by Shakman

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Hike said:

I don't think I've seen a foundation that looks like this before.  The re-bar they're install are like 8' tall hair pins,  hundred's of them, in what I still say looks like the bottom of now a larger pool. 

08.13.19.jpg

We did something very similar at the Richmond Federal Courthouse.  The "hairpins" will hold another a layer of rebar. 

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Looks like the tower crane on the General Assembly Building is about to get taller!  Check the webcam here and see all the crane extension pieces on the ground (as of 12 Sep 2020).  Probably going taller today:

https://virginiageneralassembly.gov/GABwebcam.html

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Gorgeous photographs. This building, when complete, will be quite the addition to the downtown landscape (and skyline!) ... how I'd LOVE to see some more highrises downtown built with this kind of old-time, almost art-deco feel (Richmond has really gotten into the mirrored-glass buildings - which is fantastic! -- but it would be neat to see a little variety - and this old-style skin on a few 20 or 30 (or more) story towers would look beautiful.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hike said:

You know how some buildings take awhile to settle in and to get used to them, this one already seems like it's been there, not a negative, just seems like it's going to fit in nicely and not  be that new building.  

I agree. It fits in exceptionally well there. And, as you said with the picture of the old building that was torn down for the new one, it almost feels like a "continuation" of the old building -- only "bigger, taller, better" ... Beautiful design. As I've said previously, I wish a few developers would use this kind of classic design on a couple of downtown highrises in the (please, near!!) future. The glass boxes are certainly welcomed - don't get me wrong - but it would be SO cool to see some "classical" old-school highrises popping up downtown.  Of course, the bottom line when it comes to highrises and Richmond - paraphrasing the line from Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life" :  (and taking some poetic license to get the lyric to fit the music) - "Each high-rise is sacred. Each high-rise is great..." (I should throw in (on the personal side) the next line - "If potential's wasted... I get quite irate!!!" :lol::thumbsup:

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I wonder how much longer we'll see the crane for this one.  From the webcam view, it seems like it's close to complete for requirements of a crane.  It's hard to tell on the opposite side from the webcam view, which is all I have to go on. Does the Broad street side and east side of the building still have work going on that needs a crane?  Also, has the parking deck started? 

Edited by Hike

31 minutes ago, Hike said:

I wonder how much longer we'll see the crane for this one.  From the webcam view, it seems like it's close to complete for requirements of a crane.  It's hard to tell on the opposite side from the webcam view, which is all I have to go on. Does the Broad street side and east side of the building still have work going on that needs a crane?  Also, has the parking deck started? 

There may be a few precast panels left plus not sure if the HVAC units are up.  The parking deck seems to be well underway though I have not had a chance to see if there is any foundation work rising out of the hole.

• Like 3