Don Murray's is gone!

castong

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would never have sent anyone I cared about to that filth-hole. Put this one in the civic improvements category (of course, stay away from nearby restaurants as all of those roaches and rats will be looking for a new home).

I tried the new Jibarra drive thru in front of Babies R Us and it was delicious. Not great driving food (floppy tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, etc)

Don Murray sold his namesake restaurant and opened Barbecue Lodge, north on Capitol Blvd in Mini City years ago. Don Murray is no longer associated with the Lodge.

I ate at Hideaway BBQ a week or so ago. It was ok but I wasn't impressed. On the menu, barbecue only one offering, mixing in with chicken, steak, etc. The barbecue is *not* eastern NC style. They have a set of sauces to put on it, including a vinegar and spice attempt at eastern style, but by the time the meat gets served, it is too late. Other sauces included a spicy Texas and a molasses based Memphis or KC style. The building seems out of place in front of the Flea Market Mall, but unlike Kings, they probably own the place and there is a lot of on-site parking.

The Hideaway part of the name probably stems from the Hideaway, a club that used to be on Hillsborough Street in the Electric Company Mall, sharing the entrance with Studio I & II and the Five-O. They used to book a lot of the same roots/country acts that the new place has. The bar/stage space at Hideaway BBQ is a lot bigger than the Hillsborough Street location, falling roughly between the Brewery and Kings.

• 1 year later...

Archived