Gateway Gardens Botanical Park

krazeeboi

I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread created for this yet.

The Gateway Gardens botanical park is an 11-acre, $5 million park that will be located at the corner of East Lee and Florida streets and will span between Barber Park and the Gateway University Research Park. Planned for the city's southeast side, it will serve as a welcoming icon and it is hoped that it will become a catalyst for development in that area. If approved by county officials, the park will break ground in April. The site plan, centered around the theme "Nature, Beauty and Families," will feature gardens catered toward children, weddings, education and history. It will also feature a large open lawn area and a natural, undisturbed area ideal for wildlife viewing.

The master plan can be viewed here (PDF file).

While I can't exactly place this part of town, I like the concept. It's one of those "little things" (in the grand scheme of things) that does wonders in increasing the quality of life for citizens, particularly in that part of town. It seems as though Greensboro has really been focused on parks and gardens as of late, which is a really good thing.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread created for this yet.

The Gateway Gardens botanical park is an 11-acre, $5 million park that will be located at the corner of East Lee and Florida streets and will span between Barber Park and the Gateway University Research Park. Planned for the city's southeast side, it will serve as a welcoming icon and it is hoped that it will become a catalyst for development in that area. If approved by county officials, the park will break ground in April. The site plan, centered around the theme "Nature, Beauty and Families," will feature gardens catered toward children, weddings, education and history. It will also feature a large open lawn area and a natural, undisturbed area ideal for wildlife viewing.

The master plan can be viewed here (PDF file).

While I can't exactly place this part of town, I like the concept. It's one of those "little things" (in the grand scheme of things) that does wonders in increasing the quality of life for citizens, particularly in that part of town. It seems as though Greensboro has really been focused on parks and gardens as of late, which is a really good thing.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just read this on my news & record google widget:

Barber Park closed indefinitely

GREENSBORO -- Barber Park has been closed indefinitely after high concentrations of heavy metals were found in the soil there, city officials said late Friday.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../NEWSRECRSSGNRL

Bad news.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I haven't heard anything either. Its been ages since I have been by there so I don't know how far they have progressed. Although the website says the first phase will open in late 2009. I personally would like to see many more gardens created through the city, each having a different theme. All the gardens would be connected through the greenway system. I believe that is the plan.

here is a quick video about the project though

http://www.greensborobeautiful.org/Gateway.htm

garden_map_2009.jpg

This a good fit for that part of southeast Greensboro. In the 20 years I've lived here, I have been rather impressed with the parks and public spaces that have been developed in Greensboro/Guilford Co. There seems to be a strong and forward thinking parks & rec. dept. here. I have also noticed that over the years, voters seem to strongly support bonds for this sort of thing! Must be the family mindset here.

I'm all for planned development, but I believe these planned "green" spaces are also very important to our future quality of life! :thumbsup:

Archived