Studio City Louisiana

richyb83

Studio City Louisiana

The state Bond Commission has approved special financing for a proposed $325 million television & film production studio in WBR . The WBR Council has already rezoned more than 800 acres of the old Allendale Plantation and 350 acres inside the Mississippi River levee to accomodate the project. Most of the financing will be GOZone bonds. The land is on U.S. 190 about 5 miles West of the Huey P. Long Bridge. THIS IS HUGE!

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=6098754

How many of the facilities are needed for the Movie making business?? When is it too much; if the market becomes oversaturated?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If someone wants to spend $325 million in a tired part of the state, then everyone should move their ass and get the developer the tax credit before he changes his mind.

There is plenty of room out there in WBR parish for these kinds of spread out studio developments. It's a great opportunity that someone from the dep. of revenue is dragging their feet on because they are too busy trying to figure out how to entice it to move to the New Orleans area.

Film studios bring other jobs, such as suppliers, etc. That would be like turning down one of these car plants. Blanco is running around trying to get a Toyota or GM plant here, but when someone comes to our doorstep to open a clean, pollution-free business that will hire many local folks for permanent and construction jobs (on top of supporting industry and film/material suppliers that will open up), we give them the cold shoulder. What is wrong with our government?

Whoever decides on these film tax incentives needs to be fired. Apparently, they only give tax credits if you located them in areas the film commision feels is appropriate. Sounds like good ole Louisiana politics is quickly ruining another industry in our state. They don't want the business if they can't control where/how it works.

I hope everyone here on UP calls up their state representative and demands that a standard procedure and rules be set (very quickly) to process all of these request for tax breaks......we don't need a repuation for being slow to respond and to have corrupt responses.

• 3 months later...

Studio City Louisiana press conference set

A press conference has been set for Monday morning to discuss Studio City Louisiana, a $325 million film and television studio that would be built near Port Allen. West Baton Parish officials are expected to release more details about the studio on U.S. 190 west of the Huey P. Long Bridge. The state Bond Commission approved funding for Studio City earlier this year. According to documents filed with the Bond Commission, the studio will take up 925,000 square feet and have an annual payroll of more than $100 million.

*courtesy of Business Report

I was wondering what was up with this HUGE project??

More on Studio City:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/8367577.html

WBR movie studio to confirm $500 million deal

Developers of a nearly $500 million movie studio in West Baton Rouge Parish will announce final plans Monday for the biggest film infrastructure project yet to receive preliminary state approval.

River Studios & FilmPort would create a 925,000-square-foot complex on 150 acres of the old Allendale Plantation, a riverside setting about five miles west of the old Mississippi River Bridge on U.S. 190.

State officials confirmed Friday the project is pre-certified, meaning an application for state tax credits has been approved but spending must be audited and the film facilities in place before the credits are issued.

If the project proceeds as planned, River Studios could recover $198 million of its construction costs in claims against its state tax liability, said Baton Rouge lawyer Lewis Unglesby, who negotiated the deal with the state Division of Administration.

The tax recovery is based on spending $495 million, Unglesby said. The tax credits, which can be sold at a discount to other investors, are based upon a state law that allows the developers of movie soundstages and related buildings to claim a tax credit of up to 40 percent through Jan. 1, 2009. It

When I started this thread way back in February, I had my doubts. Given this is one HUGE project. But I was happy to revive this thread yesterday after staying dormant for months. Hopefully this will work out??

BTW thanks for posting the rendering dinner roll. :shades: It's looks nice, esp. with the river in the background.

Yes this is just West of Hwy.415, but like La.Thunder said " hopefully the northern by-pass runs near to this project :thumbsup:

How much is too much, as far as BR area movie studios are concerned??? Celtic Media Centre has started; and R.W. Day is trying to get started too with a massive studio project. Pionte Coupee has a small company in the works too. Shreveport and NOLA also have studios....AND now there are now 23 other "copy-cat" states in the U.S. trying the same thing Louisiana is doing; by luring the movie industry with lucrative tax incentives. Louisiana "Hollywood South" needs to continue build momentum; now ranked #3 behind only Cali and NY.

Hopefully these huge investments work and they don't "overbuild"; where there's too much supply and not enough demand.

The people from West Baton Rouge this morning were on 2une in saying that a lot of other people are looking to develop in this area once this studio gets going. He mentioned Nascar, minor league sports, theme parks, etc. Also, this will be right along the future northern bypass route.

This area along US 190 over the old bridge has deteriorated trememdously the last several decades and this will be a trememdous boost for WBR and the entire Baton Rouge metro area.

Thanks for the heads-up drew, I wasn't up that early this morning. Is Hwy 415 in WBR part of the plan for the "Loop"...I don't think they are 100% sure yet?? Also Hwy. 415(part of the loop) could(will?) be extended across the Intracoastal waterway?? I will be routing for WBR...there are plenty of fields and open-space for that type of development.

WBR has some bad smells sometimes due to all the nearby industry/plants. I feel that's why that area of WBR never developed..or declined.

Thanks for the heads-up drew, I wasn't up that early this morning. Is Hwy 415 in WBR part of the plan for the "Loop"...I don't think they are 100% sure yet?? Also Hwy. 415(part of the loop) could(will?) be extended across the Intacoastal waterway?? I will be routing for WBR...there are plenty of fields and open-space for that type of development.

WBR has some bad smells sometimes due to all the nearby industry/plants. I feel that's why that area of WBR never developed..or declined.

LA415 is going to remain as is...but will be extended towards brusly and cross over the intracoastal canal.

The loop is supposed to pass farther west on a new highway and meet up with 190 somewhere near where the proposed movie studio will be- about a mile or so west of the LA 415/US190 overpass.

Archived