Tampa, Florida

sunshine

Some forumers in the other websites keep bragging about how lively downtown Tampa is, so I drove over there to check it out and here is what I got.

Tampa Skyline

c1aa2ea9.jpg

University of Tampa

7cb4ba92.jpg

Another skyline shot

de69ddb0.jpg

48e12663.jpg

It's not happening..... though I wish they get it....

62d5f5dc.jpg

2a349056.jpg

6df0098d.jpg

37cf1057.jpg

65be952f.jpg

ed27ac8d.jpg

94d3738c.jpg

4641b1a7.jpg

01e383e1.jpg

3a56b386.jpg

b5400114.jpg

80cd4e00.jpg

e639f53f.jpg

7e0a542e.jpg

Downtown Tampa has some sweet looking buildings. Hyde Park looks good.

I try to drive to Harbour Island but is is gated. Is Tampa going to do anything about the real downtown or just going to keep focusing on nearby Ybor and Channelside Dsitrict?

Then, I am off to St Pete and will post the pics in another thread...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Tampa going to do anything about the real downtown or just going to keep focusing on nearby Ybor and Channelside Dsitrict?

Great pics, yes just north of the office core is the "Cultural Arts" district (North Franklin Avenue. Several reconstruction projects are taking in this area. They include condo towers, lofts, an art museum, and the Law School. There's also plans to extend the streetcar system from Ybor & the Channel District through the office core into Tampa Heights.

I like the development pattern in Tampa because all of its inner city urban neighborhoods are so unique in character that they complement each other well.

Downtown should not attempt to compete with Ybor & Channelside to provide entertainment. The city should keep their focus increasing residential living opportunities, which it is already doing.

Well, there are not a single soul in the downtown area when I was there.

There are some people at the channelside district if you want to consider it downtown. But, it is not a walkable distance from the place I took the pics, at least not for me.

You'll be hard pressed to find many people walking around office buildings and the county courthouse in any city on the weekend. Tampa's office core needs to add the residential component before you see heavy pedestrian use on non-workdays. The Channel Distrct, the convention center, and the nearest streetcar station is only about 3 or 4 blocks south of the shaded outdoor office plaza in the sixth pic.

It seems like they're two different areas because of the elevated Lee Roy Selmon Expressway and the surface parking lots in between them.

Once the 20 story Westin Hotel, and the two 50+ story condo towers are built they will be reconnected like they used to be before the urban renewal years.

By the way, there's also several small restaurants and shops along Tampa & Franklin Streets starting about 2 blocks north of the outdoor plaza in the sixth pic.

Actually, there was something funny happended when I took those pics.

Some tourist think that I am from Tampa and ask me where do Tampa people normally hang out on a nice day like today and I told him, people here drive to ORlando on a day like this.

Archived