Heritage Hill - Historic Gem of the City?

joeDowntown

Heritage Hill Poll  

118 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Heritage Hill?

• It is a historic treasure and should be celebrated
    • It is a gentrified neighborhood that thinks too highly of itself
    • It is a neighborhood with big houses but too many rentals
    • Heritage what? It needs an identity

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think any of you GR people realize just how fantastic of a neighborhood you guys have. Easily the best historic neighborhood in Michigan, and one of the best in the midwest. Every house is beautiful. I've taken many out of state people through HH, and they just can't believe how remarkable it is.

I agree, and I think we take it for granted. I am in the neighborhood every day, but rarely take close notice. I walked around the entire hill on Saturday for the garage sales and kept my eyes open to everything. These houses are truely amazing!

Enjoy it now. Today the city will begin cutting 20 ash trees on the 500 block of College SE (between Logan and Pleasant). The Emerald Ash Borer is moving through the southern portion of the Hill and will dramatically impact the streets and their context.

If anyone is near the area and can take some before and after photos, we will all be able to see the impact of the loss of large canopy trees within the public realm.

There are 7,000 ash trees within the parkways of the city of Grand Rapids. It is highly likely that all of these trees will be gone at some point in the future. Hopefully this will take decades and not a few years to happen, but I would not be real optimistic about that.

There have already been 80 trees removed on Shawnee Drive, there is allegedly a large outbreak on the northeast side and there is evidence of infestation on the 500 block of Morris and potentially the 200 block of Madison.

Enjoy it now. Today the city will begin cutting 20 ash trees on the 500 block of College SE (between Logan and Pleasant). The Emerald Ash Borer is moving through the southern portion of the Hill and will dramatically impact the streets and their context.

If anyone is near the area and can take some before and after photos, we will all be able to see the impact of the loss of large canopy trees within the public realm.

There are 7,000 ash trees within the parkways of the city of Grand Rapids. It is highly likely that all of these trees will be gone at some point in the future. Hopefully this will take decades and not a few years to happen, but I would not be real optimistic about that.

There have already been 80 trees removed on Shawnee Drive, there is allegedly a large outbreak on the northeast side and there is evidence of infestation on the 500 block of Morris and potentially the 200 block of Madison.

The metro area went through a similar event during the late 50's early 60's only it was the American Elm and Dutch elm disease. Some neighborhoods lost huge numbers of trees. I vividly remember my grandmothers' house and losing all the huge elms in the parkway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just an FYI about a cool happening. Coming up first weekend of October is the annual Heritage Hill home tour. I volunteer every year and get a free ticket to the tour. It's a fun event. I just heard that the Voigt house will be on tour and have a German festival with brats and warsteiner beer; even more fun! I also heard that Grand River Builders will be having workshops at some of the homes featuring specific types of repair work such as brick work and metal work. You can call the Heritage Hill office if you are interested.

Grand River Builders should teach people how to add windows to a boarded up facade. They could use their own building on Wealthy St. as an example. :)

Just an FYI about a cool happening. Coming up first weekend of October is the annual Heritage Hill home tour. I volunteer every year and get a free ticket to the tour. It's a fun event. I just heard that the Voigt house will be on tour and have a German festival with brats and warsteiner beer; even more fun! I also heard that Grand River Builders will be having workshops at some of the homes featuring specific types of repair work such as brick work and metal work. You can call the Heritage Hill office if you are interested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived