Places Yuo Wish Were Located in the City

313City

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would have been cool if SouthField and Troy were built within the city, on the East and Westside, and they'd be like how New Center is (new center would be in the middle). I think that would encourage a lot of urban development and mass transit and stuff like that in between the satellite downtowns. Of course, that defeats the purpose of Southfield and Troy in the first place, but whatever.

So where in the city limits do you think more satellite downtowns would be most appropriate? For there to be new downtowns built in the city during the times of Southfield and Troy, parts of the city would need to be reconstructed, ala Lafayette Park. I think they'd probably be re-urbanized afterwards, once the land values went up there, so probably only major landmarks would still be in these areas.

Unless you want to go all out fantasy, and if that's the case then these new downtowns would have been perfectly integrated with the pre-existing neighborhoods. :)

I think the freeways are inevitible. I mean, to wish Detroit doesn't have freeways is like wishing every city didn't have them. Probably elevating them without disrupting the urban environmnet below would have worked.

I'm really confused on what people are saying about this whole satellite downtown discussion though. Why would we need any more, or even exist in the first place. New Center wasn't what it was expected to be as proof. No sense in wishing they'd exist when the CBD could be built up with more highrises.

you are probably right but he's 80 or so years old so by the time they are ready for a new stadium I don't think that it will be an issue.

I am also not sure that detroit is big enough for multiple "downtowns". there may be other "shopping/entertainment" districts, but I have not been to another city with multiple areas with large skyscraper type buildings. at the same time I guess it could happen if there were enough business here. there would have to be an extensive reconfiguration of the roadways. I think that the most logical area would be out near UofD and the university district.

Archived