What next?

Transplant

DT Raleigh Buildings in 2012  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Where will the next major buildings be?

• Fayetteville St
    • Moore Square/City Market
    • Nash Square/Warehouse Dist.
    • Glenwood South/West St Area
    • Other?

We've all been hearing about Reynolds' building, Green Square, Convention Center, Marriott, RBC, PE III, and some other buildings that have recently broken ground. We've been hearing about these for 4 or 5 years, but have not heard any new rumblings recently. I suppose it's cyclic.

Where will the next major developments be?

I've made this a poll to gauge what people think. Feel free to explain where you'd like to see the next tower to be. And keep it realistic, we're not getting a 1000 ft. tower anytime soon. :)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would, and voted for, Moore Sq. area around downtown.

It is only inevitable until the downtown growth spreads around Moore Square with new businesses and facilities. If you look at downtown's dynamic, it would take only 1 new mayor to begin a process of revitalizing that area in 5-7 years of zoning and planning resolutions.

New major developments would be fast and there in no time.

I voted Nash/Warehouse just because of the influence CAM will have. I think that area is ripe for something very urban and hopefully something very unique architecturally. It would contrast the industrial look of the warehouse district nicely. Also with that area becoming a real hub for restaurants and clubs--it should be a no-brainer to a developer with vision. Another plus is that you could really stand out in that area if you're visualizing the money shot of DT Raleigh.

I voted Nash/Warehouse just because of the influence CAM will have. I think that area is ripe for something very urban and hopefully something very unique architecturally. It would contrast the industrial look of the warehouse district nicely. Also with that area becoming a real hub for restaurants and clubs--it should be a no-brainer to a developer with vision. Another plus is that you could really stand out in that area if you're visualizing the money shot of DT Raleigh.

Yeah, I voted Warehouse as well. The momentum is headed that way with Nash, Reynolds, 209 Davie. As I said in the skyline topic, I think the Enterprise lot next to the RCC would make a good skyscraper site. I think TTA is very close to approving an agreement with Cherokee, so the Dillon property could be redeveloped fairly soon.

I think Nash Square by far has the best chance. It's within a couple of blocks of all the major developments in downtown. Glenwood south is right around the corner for entertainment, the museums and performing arts center are both a couple of blocks away and you've got a large employment base in state govt and Fayetteville Street. If a tower with semi-affordable units popped up within a block of Nash Square I'm sure the demand would be there.

The only problem with Nash square is that there are a ton of buildings that need to be consolidated/moved/upgraded. I ***think*** that the fire station might be relocating down the line. The city really needs to consolidate and build a real city hall. It's nice that they are using some of one exchange, but build a city hall and sell the city land to the north of Nash to developers. Bellsouth Switching/bomb shelter probably isn't in the best location. NandO will eventually develop to the east. Ton of potential in the area, but also a ton of politics/interests. Probably a situation where noone wants to sell/develop first because the values will skyrocket.

Looks like the votes are favoring Nash/Warehouse. I voted that way as well. It was the first urban part of Raleigh I fell in love with when I moved here back in '95. Even back then before downtown revitalization was as popular as it is now, there were a good group of committed businesses there, many of which are still there today, particularly the nightlife sector, and all the LGBT-owned businesses too, which were the "pioneers" of that district. :thumbsup: I just hope with new stuff coming in that those pioneers won't be pushed aside. <_<

Looks like the votes are favoring Nash/Warehouse. I voted that way as well. It was the first urban part of Raleigh I fell in love with when I moved here back in '95. Even back then before downtown revitalization was as popular as it is now, there were a good group of committed businesses there, many of which are still there today, particularly the nightlife sector, and all the LGBT-owned businesses too, which were the "pioneers" of that district. :thumbsup: I just hope with new stuff coming in that those pioneers won't be pushed aside. <_<

Archived