Nashville Moving Forward

Nashvegas06

I moved here in 1990 from Orlando thinking I would totally hate the area because of Country Music. I thought Orlando was going to be the great next city in the USA. Boy was I wrong, in fact I grew to love Nashville right away. It has a perfect mix of history and the future! Something that Orlando never had and will, not in my lifetime.

In 1996 I moved away because of a great job offer, although Nashville never left my heart. In fact 10 years later I was still telling people that I was from Nashville ( although born in Florida ). In my travels across the USA I find many people do the same.

Well I am back and yes I did take a pay cut, but for all the right reasons,

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading Nashvega's post, I kinda am proud to be a native Nashvillian. This is my story... My family is not from Nashville, or the South period. My family is orginally from New York and Puerto Rico. So, growing up in Nashville I didn't know anyone that was Puerto Rican, except for my five brothers. My family tried to keep a sense of culture in us by sending us to stay in New York or Puerto Rico in the summer time with our relatives. I really felt lonely not knowing my culture so two of my brothers and I moved to the Bronx eight years ago with relatives. I currently live in Brooklyn while my mother and father are still living in Nashville. I visit Nashville at least once a year and I have seen a steady change in the diversity of people. Some of my cousins have moved to Nashville because they really love it. When I hear positive things about the diversity of my native city, I kinda want to move back and be part of this great city

After reading Nashvega's post, I kinda am proud to be a native Nashvillian. This is my story... My family is not from Nashville, or the South period. My family is orginally from New York and Puerto Rico. So, growing up in Nashville I didn't know anyone that was Puerto Rican, except for my five brothers. My family tried to keep a sense of culture in us by sending us to stay in New York or Puerto Rico in the summer time with our relatives. I really felt lonely not knowing my culture so two of my brothers and I moved to the Bronx eight years ago with relatives. I currently live in Brooklyn while my mother and father are still living in Nashville. I visit Nashville at least once a year and I have seen a steady change in the diversity of people. Some of my cousins have moved to Nashville because they really love it. When I hear positive things about the diversity of my native city, I kinda want to move back and be part of this great city

Thanks to all for the positive response. If you are wondering I am a white male married with to kids. I say that because to many people think that we all should hate or fight back the integration of Nashville. I am so happy to see the expansion of the city and feel the friendliest city in the USA will remain at the top. I would love to talk with anyone about a festival for Nashville. And yes July sounds great!

Remember:

"Time Is What You Make Of It And Life Is What You Make Of Time"

People, take the time to fill out some of the details of your member profile. I know some are reticent of providing too much info online, but it sure helps people get a feel for who the members behind the avatar or screen name are, and mitigates some of the anonymity which so many people hide behind while online (forum meets are great, too!)

That aside, thanks again for your positive sentiments, there is the human element behind all the architecture that is actually more important to the success of this city and it really kills me that we just barely escaped, for the time being, all that negative, hateful crap represented by the English First legislation. Thank you, Mister Mayor Purcell. Anyway, I don't want to get ultra-political all over this forum, so suffice to say, I often day dream about ventures that would serve to propagate more cross-cultural relationships in Nashville in the hopes of building a truly integrated city in the future so I get all teary eyed and excited when I hear others echo some of my thoughts.

I agree with everything that has been said in this thread. Welcome to the forum guys. I love the positive attitude and outlook for our wonderful city contained here. It really saddens me when those who would prefer to divide us with prejudice, hate, and misunderstanding threaten the harmony and diversity of the city. Let's hope that Nashville remains a great place where any decent human being can come and feel like they are part of a fantastic community.

I have added some personal info. I am new to posting so I hope I did it correct.

Anyway I couldn't agree more with your statement regarding the English only crap. I only hope we pay attention to the words and ideas from the new Mayoral candidates. We don't need some to hide behide this kind of time wasting garbage due to their lack of forsight for the city. We need a Mayor and Metro council that focuses on true issues in our city. Not worrying about if a new hotel on Lower Broadway will take away from the feel and historic nature of that area. Give me a break! I doubt anyone going it the bars cares or will be even looking up to notice the Westin. Don't get me wrong, we need to save our past but it it is not like they are trying to build a mall on the Hermitage. The Council needs to focus on serious issues such as the homeless. And I don't mean handouts, but working on true programs to turn the tide and help the peolpe that truly want help.

Off my soap box now, what happened to the street vendors on Second Ave? It really gave that area a cool SoHo New York vide that made the city come alive when the sun went down.

Also I am really serious about a festival to celebrate our cities diversity. Something with Music, Arts and Food. Do I have the money, No but I do have ideas and I am sure many of you do also. Having good ideas and the money will follow... So help me, where do we go now? Set up a meeting to discuss?

Welcome to the forum guys. I am form East TN originally but I consider myself a Nashvillian now. When I tell people where I am form I say Nashville, even though I live in Ashland City. I love the city and am very excited to see all the changes taking place.

Looking forward to more post form you all.

Be sure to attend the next forum meet. Typically they take place on the first Saturday of every month. There will be a banner at the top of every thread as the date moves closer and details are worked out. Don't worry, nobody is too crazy, and we're all super friendly nonetheless. Bring a camera and some walking shoes, and your ideas of course!

What happened to Black and White's negative post? We cannot delete hate or intolerance, or it will never go away!!! It only runs when you face an insecure person dead on. Please let him speak next time as I am up for his crap. Logic will win against hate or ignorance every time!!!

Archived