Any of you guys plan on moving soon?

krazeeboi

Some of you guys are already settled in your particular city in SC, but I know a few of us have discussed moving at some point or another. I plan to be done with grad school in December, and hopefully around this time next year I will have already moved. I want to move to DC, but it will depend on where I get accepted at for my next program (urban and environmental policy, possibly coupled with law). The other options as far as school is concerned would be Atlanta, Boston, and LA. If I decide to take some time off from continuing my education, I have no idea what I might do but I'll still probably move anyway. Either way, I plan to eventually return to SC, most likely either Columbia or Charleston (I'll be much closer to my home base). I doubt if I'll return to the Charlotte area, but I wouldn't totally rule it out; Charlotte will probably be a totally different city by then.

So what about you guys and your plans?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I hear ya. I've just got to get my big city experience in while I'm young, and no city in SC provides that and probably won't for a long time.

I've also recently been contemplating the possibility of living in NYC for about a year; I don't know if I could take it beyond that.

"Big cities" aren't for everyone, so I wouldn't hold it against someone not desirous of living in one. I have had experience in several along the east coast and have found aspects I both love and hate about them. Number one is the cost of living versus the quality of living. At this point in my life, I have no compelling reason to look for a better home, since I am in love with the high quality life I can afford here. There was a time not too long ago (late '90s) when my love for Greenville had faded and I seriously began looking at moving to Charlotte or Atlanta. Fortunately, that decision never came to fruition. I would have greatly regretted it, knowing how much has been and is happening here. The changes taking place are heavily positioned on the positive side of the scale.

I wouldn't mind living in Charlotte sometime in the future. Not too big, not too small and still pretty close to the Greenville-Spartanburg MSA, but I would still prefer to stay here because i'm familiar with this area and the quality of life here is simply amazing. I've gotten the big city experience from going to Atlanta and other big cities so many times over the past couple of years.

^I hear ya. I've just got to get my big city experience in while I'm young, and no city in SC provides that and probably won't for a long time.

I've also recently been contemplating the possibility of living in NYC for about a year; I don't know if I could take it beyond that.

I know that I'm moving somewhere in May, though I have no clue where just yet. Clemson is a college town, and since I'll be done with grad school I'll be saying goodbye to this place. And its not a moment too soon. I need to have a city to live in. I'm kinda tired of the same 4 roads every day. I've come to accept the fact that my career will likely take me out of SC for a while, which will be good. I want to get experience somewhere else and bring that knowledge back to South Carolina later on. But if I end up in South Carolina in May that will be great too. The thing about my profession is that I can't just target one city and go there (with the possible exception of New York but it will be a cold day in hell before I move there). Whenever I move back it will ideally be Spartanburg, but Gville, Columbia, or Charleston would be great too.

I dont know if this thred applies to me or not since I don't officially live in SC anymore. But for me I will probablly end up in Chicago, Minneapolis, or California (there is so much opportunity there). I have a couple of years left before I finish my practitoner degree here at UK. I don't think I will be moving back south anytime soon. I've seen how well other states take care of their citizens (that's another issue though). But SC always will be my home.

Well, for college I moved to Columbia from G'vegas... and well as much as we all argue about them, they're kind of the same city. To me, they just seem to have the same feeling.

But in May, I graduate. I'm currently looking into job offers in Orlando, Atlanta, Richmond, and weirdly enough Seattle. So, my time in SC is short now and I'm actually kind of sad about it. I remember back in high school when it just seemed like such a drag to me to be in SC, but I kind of love it now.

One day though, I will return.

In August I plan to be starting Med-School either in Columbia (current location), Charleston, D.C., or Atlanta. Only time will tell... :whistling: I went to undergrad in Tallahassee (Fla A&M Univ) which is definately smaller than Columbia, but the area is quite progressive because of the Major institutions there that house a large variety transplants. The location made for good traveling around the South East. After I graduated I moved back to Columbia, and I have been amazed at the progress that has been made. :yahoo: When I left in 2000 Columbia was still in its old ways, but since then it has definately been booming. I look forward to a change, but if I stay in Columbia, I plan on getting me a nice condo with a nice view down town! :thumbsup:

Every few years, I think to myself that just MAYBE I should try the big city life for a while. But I've thought and thought about it...and in that time have become VERY settled where I am. I love Columbia, and really don't think I'd be happier anywhere else. The ONLY other place in SC I'd consider living is Charleston. But at one time or another, I thought about Atlanta. But everytime I go there, I ALWAYS leave saying "THANK GOD I don't live here". I've thought about Charlotte too...but just don't get a good "vibe" from that city. Not sure what it is. Thought about DC, but that's too far from home. (Yes, I'm a Mama's Boy) So, after all these years, I'm still in Columbia...and with the boom that's been going on the past decade, I don't see any reason to leave. As they say, the grass is not always greener.

And I could NOT imagine a fall without going to Gamecock football games. :)

Sure it depends on what your values are - but I have to say it, I highly recommend anyone to live somewhere else for a while. Though I value the years I grew up in SC & will always view myself as a sandlapper - I have to admit it, I'm glad I moved out. But it isn't to say SC isn't a great place to live, but it can be very limiting.

I agree whole heartedly. :rolleyes: I think everyone should spend time outside of there home state. It really helps to broaden one's perspective on life and the rest of the world. Any state, not just SC can be limiting. :unsure: I remember there were people I met in FLA that had never been outside of their state. Then on one of our first major trips out of the state to Indiana, many did not know what mountains were when they saw there..."Whats that big green thing?" :dontknow: And the snow in Indiana, many were awe struck. I think a few years in a place away from your home state, and even the neighboring states honestly is truely a much needed experience for all. :thumbsup:

Archived