Any of you guys plan on moving soon?

krazeeboi

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think moving away to live in another (perhaps bigger) city for a while is a good thing. For me, it caused me to fully realize how great Greenville is. I had always liked Greenville, but my appreciation for it grew upon living elsewhere and seeing the good and bad associated with another metro. And even though it's cliche, I think you always learn a lot about yourself when you strike out on your own to live somewhere else and experience new things. :thumbsup:

I like to visit Atlanta, especially Buckhead...but I don't think I would want to settle there. I might do my residency there, but it would only be for 3 years. I have never considered living in Charlotte. For some reason, it has never really intrigued me.

To those of you considering moving to DC...I enthusiastically recommend it!

I think moving away to live in another (perhaps bigger) city for a while is a good thing. For me, it caused me to fully realize how great Greenville is. I had always liked Greenville, but my appreciation for it grew upon living elsewhere and seeing the good and bad associated with another metro. And even though it's cliche, I think you always learn a lot about yourself when you strike out on your own to live somewhere else and experience new things. :thumbsup:

I like to visit Atlanta, especially Buckhead...but I don't think I would want to settle there. I might do my residency there, but it would only be for 3 years. I have never considered living in Charlotte. For some reason, it has never really intrigued me.

To those of you considering moving to DC...I enthusiastically recommend it!

I would love to and am anticipating on moving away. However, it's been hard for me to find jobs out of state even though I have a degree and some experience. Employers seem to mostly go with local candidates from what I've seen. Being that I'm not the type to pick up and move to a place without first having some type of employment established, I've ran out of ideas.

I love my state but I consider Columbia home being that I'm from Sumter and basically consider it to be a future burb of Columbia. I, like many of you on this forum would like to move away just for the experience, only to come back and contribute to my state.

With that said I would love to live and attend grad school in Chicago (but the frigid temperatures sometimes scare me), Atlanta, DC or Houston. After my hiatus from SC, I will return to Charleston or MAYBE Columbia (depending on what Columbia looks like in the next 30-40 years).

I think its telling that so many of us young South Carolinians want to move away "for a while." Its essentially due to a lack of opportunity here in the sense of that large city experience, which I suspect many of us are looking for. At least on this forum anyway.

When I was younger, I couldn't wait to get out of Columbia. I think that's typical of the age. I've lived in a couple other places, but came back to Columbi after six years. I've been here since.

It IS good to live other places. It really helps you define what you like and dislike about where you came from originally. Try the big cities. Try small towns. Trya as many new things as you can.

^ Then start one - that should be interesting. The problem is for the younger generation there is not as much of an appeal to stay in SC. Especially with a college education. Obviously SC is gaining transplants since the population has been rising despite the exodus of youth.

I admit if someone asked me 10 or more years ago that Rock Hill was a popular location to settle, despite it being a suburb for Charlotte, I would have thought they were high on Bleachery fumes.

Exactly. I think that it starting to change though.... albiet slowly. As we get more white collar jobs (which Greenville and Columbia seem to be doing hand over fist these days) more people will have more opportunities to stay in state. In all honesty I think one of the best criteria to determine the point at which SC has a city with enough dynamic to provide that may be major leage sports... once one of our cities gets a major leage team (be it football, baseball, or basketball) then we may have hit the point to where people will see our state in a different light. Baseball seems to be the best opportunity here since we have 3 top level baseball colleges here, and Charlotte doesn't have a major league baseball team. My theory is that by that point we will have a large enough working population (as opposed to retiree) to provide the other elements that our cities want or need.

Baseball seems to be the best opportunity here since we have 3 top level baseball colleges here, and Charlotte doesn't have a major league baseball team. My theory is that by that point we will have a large enough working population (as opposed to retiree) to provide the other elements that our cities want or need.

They might as well put it in Charlotte then.

The thing about baseball is that there has to be a large enough immediate population to sustain sufficient attendance levels, since they play more games. Even though baseball is popular here, I'm not sure if I see a team coming to SC before NC.

^ Right. I originally meant somewhere else in SC. Maybe Myrtle Beach or Columbia. Raleigh has the NHL team for both Carolinas. But maybe its because hockey sucks and you may as well put it in an area with a lot of universities with northerners to suppport it.

I hope SC does not land a Major League Baseball team anytime soon. I don't think it would last too long in any of our metros at this point. If Myrle Beach continues its rapid growth rate, then perhaps that would make sense one day, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. I also doubt Charlotte would build one in an SC suburb. Talk there is that they hope to build a new stadium in the city for the Knights.

Anyway, this really has nothing to do with people planning to move soon as far as I can tell. (I know, I am just as guilty :blush: )

Archived