Public Libraries

dtown

I saw the topic about Carneige Libraries, and thought we should have a topic that covers public libraries. So, feel free to post pics of you local libraries, or libraries that you have visited and especially liked.

Ill start.

Heres the main branch of The Detroit Public Library

Detroit_Library.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, what a great library! I wouldve never guessed that was built in 04.

My city might build a new library and municipal building, they are debating it right now and getting the final proposals together. I hope they do, because their current building is nasty, from the early 60's. They demolished a beautiful classic brick and limestone 3 story building to build a 1 story POS with wood and tan brick.

Here's the main branch in Portland. I tried to find some interior pics as it's a very nice building but couldn't find any really good ones. Suffice it to say this branch is very pleasant. (Pic from movingtoportland.net)

library.jpg

Now here is the mighty Seattle Public Library main branch as designed by Rem Koolhaas. I wouldn't call it beautiful like Portland's but it does make a massive statement. Seeing it in person is fairly breathtaking as well. It also holds the honor of being the strangest building I have ever been inside of that wasn't really supposed to be strange...meaning it isn't the Wichester House, it's a library. But the interior space is very strange and a bit unsettling. I love it for these reasons. It's very different from any other library I have ever been in.

Exterior (from figure-ground.com)

0001.jpg

0036.jpg

Interior (from figure-ground.com)

0020.jpg

(and the rest from spl.org, the library's main site)

CRW_7133.jpg

readingroom_people.jpg

I left out some of the stranger areas of the building. The three interiors are of the main level and the top(10th) level reading area. There is much to be seen in between. If you find yourself in Seattle go see this building...even if you hate it you will be glad you visited.

Here's the main branch in Portland. I tried to find some interior pics as it's a very nice building but couldn't find any really good ones. Suffice it to say this branch is very pleasant. (Pic from movingtoportland.net)

library.jpg

Now here is the mighty Seattle Public Library main branch as designed by Rem Koolhaas. I wouldn't call it beautiful like Portland's but it does make a massive statement. Seeing it in person is fairly breathtaking as well. It also holds the honor of being the strangest building I have ever been inside of that wasn't really supposed to be strange...meaning it isn't the Wichester House, it's a library. But the interior space is very strange and a bit unsettling. I love it for these reasons. It's very different from any other library I have ever been in.

Exterior (from spl.org)

sw1a-pp6574.jpg

4thandMadisonDusk.jpg

Interior (from spl.org)

livingroom_d.jpg

CRW_7133.jpg

readingroom_people.jpg

I left out some of the stranger areas of the building. The three interiors are of the main level and the top(10th) level reading area. There is much to be seen in between. If you find yourself in Seattle go see this building...even if you hate it you will be glad you visited.

• 2 weeks later...

The Central Arkansas Library System's main branch in downtown Little Rock, AR. It is located in the River Market District. At one time the building was an old warehouse.

dscf0530pz7.jpg

The library campus also contains the Cox Creative Center and the Arkansas Studies Institute. The building in the foreground is the Cox Creative Center and the buildings under construction will be the Arkansas Studies Institute.

dscf0528ib4.jpg

dscf0532ds8.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

library.jpg

Exterior (from figure-ground.com)

0001.jpg

0036.jpg

Interior (from figure-ground.com)

0020.jpg

CRW_7133.jpg

readingroom_people.jpg

Archived