Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dtown

Public Libraries

24 posts in this topic

I saw the topic about Carneige Libraries, and thought we should have a topic that covers public libraries. So, feel free to post pics of you local libraries, or libraries that you have visited and especially liked.

Ill start.

Heres the main branch of The Detroit Public Library

Detroit_Library.jpg

the florance library is amazing. Do yuo have any pictures of the inside?

Man, what a great library! I wouldve never guessed that was built in 04.

My city might build a new library and municipal building, they are debating it right now and getting the final proposals together. I hope they do, because their current building is nasty, from the early 60's. They demolished a beautiful classic brick and limestone 3 story building to build a 1 story POS with wood and tan brick.

branches_bj_01u575.jpg

This is the Bemidji Public Library which is part of the Kitchigami Regional Library System that covers parts of northern and central Minnesota. The current building was completed in 1995 and remains very technically advanced.

constr060520.jpg

This is the new Minneapolis Central Library that opened on May 20th, 2006. In comparison with the Florence library, this one is very modern. Both are very attractive in their own way.

Here's the main branch in Portland. I tried to find some interior pics as it's a very nice building but couldn't find any really good ones. Suffice it to say this branch is very pleasant. (Pic from movingtoportland.net)

library.jpg

Now here is the mighty Seattle Public Library main branch as designed by Rem Koolhaas. I wouldn't call it beautiful like Portland's but it does make a massive statement. Seeing it in person is fairly breathtaking as well. It also holds the honor of being the strangest building I have ever been inside of that wasn't really supposed to be strange...meaning it isn't the Wichester House, it's a library. But the interior space is very strange and a bit unsettling. I love it for these reasons. It's very different from any other library I have ever been in.

Exterior (from figure-ground.com)

0001.jpg

0036.jpg

Interior (from figure-ground.com)

0020.jpg

(and the rest from spl.org, the library's main site)

CRW_7133.jpg

readingroom_people.jpg

I left out some of the stranger areas of the building. The three interiors are of the main level and the top(10th) level reading area. There is much to be seen in between. If you find yourself in Seattle go see this building...even if you hate it you will be glad you visited.

Here's all the libraries I have pictures of.

Chicago, IL

104_1893.jpg

Concord, MI (darker building)

112_3262.jpg

Hamburg, MI (1966-2001)

108_2435.jpg

Ionia, MI- built 1869-70, used as a library since 1903

100_1001.jpg

Manchester, MI

108_2526.jpg

Tecumseh, MI

108_2647.jpg

Ypsilanti, MI

100_1235-1.jpg

Here's the main branch in Portland. I tried to find some interior pics as it's a very nice building but couldn't find any really good ones. Suffice it to say this branch is very pleasant. (Pic from movingtoportland.net)

library.jpg

Now here is the mighty Seattle Public Library main branch as designed by Rem Koolhaas. I wouldn't call it beautiful like Portland's but it does make a massive statement. Seeing it in person is fairly breathtaking as well. It also holds the honor of being the strangest building I have ever been inside of that wasn't really supposed to be strange...meaning it isn't the Wichester House, it's a library. But the interior space is very strange and a bit unsettling. I love it for these reasons. It's very different from any other library I have ever been in.

Exterior (from spl.org)

sw1a-pp6574.jpg

4thandMadisonDusk.jpg

Interior (from spl.org)

livingroom_d.jpg

CRW_7133.jpg

readingroom_people.jpg

I left out some of the stranger areas of the building. The three interiors are of the main level and the top(10th) level reading area. There is much to be seen in between. If you find yourself in Seattle go see this building...even if you hate it you will be glad you visited.

The Florence, South Carolina Bruce & Lee Library looks fantastic! One-hundred-years from now, we can look back and say, "See, we still built classical structures well into the late-20th and 21st century."

:thumbsup:

Boston's is gorgeous:

C2022-032.jpg

The Central Arkansas Library System's main branch in downtown Little Rock, AR. It is located in the River Market District. At one time the building was an old warehouse.

dscf0530pz7.jpg

The library campus also contains the Cox Creative Center and the Arkansas Studies Institute. The building in the foreground is the Cox Creative Center and the buildings under construction will be the Arkansas Studies Institute.

dscf0528ib4.jpg

dscf0532ds8.jpg

Richland County Public Library, Columbia, SC:

RichlandCountylibrary.jpg

LibCongress.JPG

Library of Congress: Washington, D.C.

full_wilson.jpeg

Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: Chapel Hill, NC

main_library.jpg

Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County: Charlotte, NC

Mobile, Alabama main library, renovation and expansion completed in 2007:

Library2.jpg

Library3.jpg

The Salt Lake City Public Library, which opened up in 2002.

437894271_601acece50_b.jpg

262697005_97f7ec49b3_o.jpg

262697004_07d87dd333_o.jpg

868296545_e462911942_o.jpg

867571508_0a13580b78_o.jpg

39741151_473bbf6873_o.jpg

mosheSafdie_slc_pub_lib.jpg

The original library, which was turned into a planetarium, has just been purchased. Not sure what they'll turn it into now.

hansen_planet.jpg

planetow.jpg

wow, the SLC library reminds me a bit of the Public Library in Vancouver, BC.

Here is a picture of the main library that was recently built in downtown Bay City, MI.

011.jpg

Grand Rapids Public Library in Grand Rapids, MI:

DSCF0019.JPG

510847496_7ff3e864dc_o.jpg

library.jpg

Exterior (from figure-ground.com)

0001.jpg

0036.jpg

Interior (from figure-ground.com)

0020.jpg

CRW_7133.jpg

readingroom_people.jpg