Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRDadof3

Gateway Charter School to close

13 posts in this topic

Since this came up in another thread, thought we could start a thread on this specifically:

Gateway charter school to close

Does anyone think this might have to do with GRPS's new facilities drawing some families back from the charter schools?

Anyway, nice site and nice building. About 20,000 square feet, used to be a department store. Sits on about 1.2 acres. Sale price in 2004 was $1.6 Million. Gateway will be out by the end of the year.

Yeah, I know, Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. But really, what would be a good fit here?

Well its a little bit too far south to be home to a Whole foods/Trader Joe's IMPO.

I think it would be great as apartments.

That's a bummer. I was a student of the first class at Gateway when it first opened. (It was inside Mackie's World at the time)

I think it would make a great place for a market, maybe even with outdoor produce stands in the Summer. It certainly has a lot of parking, both on-site and on the street. Maybe the people GRTP was talking about might radar in on this. I wonder even if a Horrock's might be a good user.

I'm sorry, but I can't say that I'm sad to see a charter school close. They did nothing to fix the education system problems we have, and just plunged GRPS into bigger trouble.

I'm sorry, but I can't say that I'm sad to see a charter school close. They did nothing to fix the education system problems we have, and just plunged GRPS into bigger trouble.

Here's the aerial of the property. I think the proposed Gaslight Village streetcar shows it running on Lafayette.

396449217_8bfadc8f07_o.jpg

Can't say that I am sad to see it go. I enrolled my nephew there for one semester and that was enough. The place seemed mis-managed, they couldn't afford toilet paper for the student restrooms. They also did not seem to have a problem allowing a radical religious group to teach sex ed, providing highly suspect "information" to the students. As with anything, if they were preforming well and providing a valued product, then they would still be in business.

They also did not seem to have a problem allowing a radical religious group to teach sex ed, providing highly suspect "information" to the students.

Whoa! Thanks for clarifying, markrumsey.

Condoms as porous as gym socks. How do some folks become certified for teaching?

The old Gateway Charter School is set to become office space. A company is looking at investing $1 Million to bring the building up to date and then lease it out (no tenants yet). They are seeking classification as an Obsolete Property Rehabilitation District from the city, which abates real property taxes on improvements.

Darn!

Restaurant, retail, grocery, anything but a place that will go black at 5:00 and be dark all weekend.