Liquor at Studio 28?

egrguy

Council approves theater liquor license

I have been waiting on this for a long time to grab hold in the Grand Rapids market, I just hope they run it well, I certainly don't want to be seeing movies with a bunch of drunks. I would recommend they take a look how they do it in Portland, OR. Kib, you may have been at the Kennedy School, its quite awesome, and I don't see Studio 28, quite translating into that, but hopefully its a good start.

McMenamin's Kennedy School Theater

Another article that's a bit more in-depth then the woodtv link at mlive.

Studio 28 hopes beer is next coming attraction

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Council approves theater liquor license

I have been waiting on this for a long time to grab hold in the Grand Rapids market, I just hope they run it well, I certainly don't want to be seeing movies with a bunch of drunks. I would recommend they take a look how they do it in Portland, OR. Kib, you may have been at the Kennedy School, its quite awesome, and I don't see Studio 28, quite translating into that, but hopefully its a good start.

McMenamin's Kennedy School Theater

My wife and I saw this last night and said YES!! :lol: I think it will be fine. Most movies are 1.5 - 2 hours, so it's not like people are going to be getting rip-roaring drunk. In addition, the guy on WOODTV last night saying that young people will get the alcohol, I have news for him: young people are already sneaking alcohol into movie theaters. Or, at least they were 20 years ago.

Considering the quality of 80% of what's being made in Hollywood these days, a few adult beverages actually makes for a better film...

[i can only think of one time the drinking intruded on the film going experience. It was a 11:00 pm showing of Madonna's "Truth or Dare", and because the movie was such a self-serving, pompus, ass-kissing ode to the Material Girl, the loopy crowd going into "Mystery Science Theater 3000" mode made for a better evening]

Yeah, with movie theater prices, I don't see people socking away a 6 pack in that time period. Plus, you'd miss 1/2 the movie running to get your refill and your potty breaks.

I think it's a great idea, and it might draw more adults there to even out all the teenie-boppers.

i wonder how tough it will be to get workers old enough to serve the alcohol. Other than that, i went to Roger's High School and it will be nice to see that area get a little help. Roger's Department Store is gone and Roger's Plaza is struggling to stay above water. Wyoming needs all the help they can get from the city council.

The number of bathroom breaks needed when drinking beer would prohibit me from using such a service. :) But I do think Studio 28 needs something to boost their numbers. The problem is, how quickly will other theatre's follow (like Star Theatre, which also seems to be having some hard times).

Joe

If serving beer in the movies are the theater's attempt to boost ticket sales, then I think its going to fail miserably. I don't go to the movie theater because I can't get a beer; I don't go to the theater because (1) Everything costs too much, (2)There are VERY few movies that would justify the high prices, and (3) I tend to get annoyed listening to everyone else's loud mastication/advice-shouting/etc.

The Superbowl shown on a movie theater screen and heard via multi-thousand watt sound system, along with a hug tub of popcorn and a stein full of Sam Adams would at least make for the ultimate man cave. :alc:

there has been some buzz about theaters showing 3-d sports events (as an alternative to movies).

i think in hd.

having beer in the theater would compliment this type of activity.

I think that it is rather ironic that what Wyoming did to Grand Rapids in the 60's, the outer suburbs are doing to Wyoming today. Namely, pulling away the customers that once supported their businesses. So now they have to resort to such gimmicks as alchohol in the theaters. Just goes to show you that what comes around, goes around.

I think that it is rather ironic that what Wyoming did to Grand Rapids in the 60's, the outer suburbs are doing to Wyoming today. Namely, pulling away the customers that once supported their businesses. So now they have to resort to such gimmicks as alchohol in the theaters. Just goes to show you that what comes around, goes around.

I agree completely Prankster. I feel that in the future more retail will relocate to areas like the South Beltline (and hopefully downtown) and 28th street will be full of dirtmalls, empty stripmalls, and bar/movie theaters. Old sprawl is becoming the victim of more sprawl.

Archived