Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smeagolsfree

Funds for initial planning of State Museum in budget

18 posts in this topic

This from the CP this morning: The governor has set aside 1.5 million for planning of the new State Museum on the Mall. Glad to see this starting to move forward. Maybe they will set aside construction funds in the next couple of years for this and the State Archives. Both of the projects are suppose to be on the Capitol Mall.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?se...p;news_id=54704

Here is a pretty primitive model off the proposed State Library and Archives Building I found yesterday while doing some unrelated research. I had not seen this before. With the current budget shortfall and continuing dismal outlook for the economy I doubt this will be built anytime soon.

http://www.comptroller.state.tn.us/sa/2006deptauditr.pdf

At least here is an idea of what it will look like. Good find.

On a related subject the land for the State Museum or the Archives and Library has been purchased. All of the buildings on 5th Ave. from Jefferson toward DT from Germantown has been purchased by the State. This is the site of Hester Battery and PPG Glass and another couple of buildings I think. I do know the design phase for the State museum is in progress.

Here is a pretty primitive model off the proposed State Library and Archives Building I found yesterday while doing some unrelated research. I had not seen this before. With the current budget shortfall and continuing dismal outlook for the economy I doubt this will be built anytime soon.

I went to that Cincinnati Museum Center just last summer. It's actually in the old Cincy Union Station built in the early 1930s (I think finished in 1934). I had never been to that building until last summer. Little bit of history that links my family to that building: My grandfather's company supplied (at least part of) the marble to that building. It also supplied marble to the Ft. Worth (old) main US Post Office downtown (which I have been to many times) which was finished about 1933 (just before the Cincy Terminal), and it's designed on the same basic set of plans as the old Main Post Office in Nashville (next to their old Union Station which is a hotel now). The cornices of the Ft. Worth P.O. have absolutely gorgeous longhorn heads carved from granite all along the outside cornices. That building still looks quite impressive even in its sad state.

Does anyone know exactly where the museum would be located? Would it be on the east side of the mall?

What a crude model. Kind of reminds me of the NC statehouse.

Does anyone know exactly where the museum would be located? Would it be on the east side of the mall?

Hank,

There was a site plan I saw at one time, (I wish I had saved it) that had the layout of all the planned buildings along the BiCentennial Mall area.

From what I remember the State Museum and the State Archives were going to be along 5th ave. S. with the buildings right on the Mall, much like the Mall in D.C. They would be right next to each other, closer to Jefferson and running south toward DT.

Tuck Hinton seems to be the architect for the State Library and Archives. There is a rendering on the following link but not any detail as I can see.

http://www.tuck-hinton.com/

Go to the "the portfolio" link and then to "places in process link".

Isn't there a magnet high school also planned for that area of downtown? Also, is the TN state museum different from the African American Museum? That's planned too, right? There was an article online (Tennessean) this week on that topic. It referred to discussions between the Museum and TSU for having a place to house the Stieglitz collection. Anybody else know more about this?

Isn't there a magnet high school also planned for that area of downtown? Also, is the TN state museum different from the African American Museum? That's planned too, right? There was an article online (Tennessean) this week on that topic. It referred to discussions between the Museum and TSU for having a place to house the Stieglitz collection. Anybody else know more about this?

Great, thanks. With proper planning, that area around the mall could look very impressive. I'm proud of Centennial Olympic park (even with its bricks of fame). So Nashville's Bicentennial Mall could someday look just as nice.

The long-range plan is for Bicentennial Mall to be flanked by cultural institutions...so far I've just heard the three named: TN State Library and Archives, TN State Museum, and the African-American Cultural Museum.

Here's what I know about the Tn State Library and Archives plans:

That 2006 rendering for the Library and Archives was scrapped awhile ago...the current one is more of a "U" or "C" shaped building. It will be three stories I believe, with the public areas on the second floor accessible by a grand staircase. The Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (a huge but often overlooked service of the State Library) will be on the first floor. One wing will be dedicated to high-density compact storage. The plan is to have a window where the public can watch the robot retrieve books from storage. It'll be quite high-tech.

Word also has it that the building is to be LEED-certified; at what level, I don't know yet.

Pretty sure this building is a ways off. State revenues will be lower than projected all year(as they always are in down years economically and the state treasury never seems to learn) and I don't think any substantial monies have been set aside. Will be cool when we have a new museum. The history in this state is amazing.

Pretty sure this building is a ways off. State revenues will be lower than projected all year(as they always are in down years economically and the state treasury never seems to learn) and I don't think any substantial monies have been set aside. Will be cool when we have a new museum. The history in this state is amazing.

The vision for Bicentennial Mall future is quite bold and impressive. I think having new facilities for our existing cultural and historical institutions along with new ones around the perimeter of the mall will add quite a bit of grandeur to the capitol district and downtown as a whole. If fulfilled it will definitely help transform the character of the area north of the capitol and further along it's gentrification, which in itself will be a new positive development in the direction that downtown and it's surround neighborhoods are heading.

I concur in not seeing these projects getting funded until the state hitting revenue targets again, which let's all hope is before Bredesen leaves office - or else some more belt tightening and use of rainy day funds are in our state's future.