New Observation Deck

cinco

talk about manna from heaven... while i was walking to lunch today i randomly stopped to pick up a piece of paper. it just so happened to be a flyer for charlotte's first public observation deck! it says that starting march 3 the deck will be open on the 60th floor of BofA... it will house a vip lounge and viewing balcony. it says that tickets are available @ all charlotte area BofA branches.

* i'm shocked this hasn't been posted yet... and it seems impossible that this is how we'd find out. either there is a god, giving me a morsel of joy or a twisted devil playing me for a fool. or perhaps this is common knowledge that has already been posted... :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope that this does come to fruition, but I still have my doubts since the banks seem to be overly paranoid about their towers. It is a nightmare just getting in my bldg (3 Wachovia) when I accidently leave my badge at home. However, my fingers are still tightly crossed as this would make for some great viewing for all of us UPers. :shades:

A2

Hmm... I'm having a hard time with the logistics of this (not mention the hokey 'official' name). Firstly, you have to have a security pass to even enter the bank of elevators in the lobby. Having said that, to get to the 60th floor, you have to change elevator banks on floor 56 (exec level). I can't imagine Ken Lewis wanting to wait in line to get in an elevator with Bobby Ray and Tammy who want to catch a glimpse from upon high. Lastly, BofA's Corporate Board room is on 60. I doubt they want their directors dealing with the public during important Board meetings. Too many things lining up against this being real, IMO. But, anything is possible, I guess.

Maybe there is something to it cinco...I will say this, about two weeks ago in looking through one of the web cams I noticed some very unusual lighting at the top, as if someone were in the crown working on something. I could not figure it out for the life of me, maybe it was workers building the Observation portion of the bldg, maybe not. But anyway you slice it, this has definatly peaked my interest. I guess we will all have to wait until March to see if there is truth in this.

A2

The best thing that I can think of to find out if its true or not is go into a BofA Branch and ask for some tickets. If the Branch manager looks at you like you are crazy, well then, you will know that this was bogus. I am also thinking of calling KIA to find out if they are a sponser. They should be PROUD if they are, and readily admit to its authenticity. I am really hopeful this is not some kind of sick joke, but I will stay cautiously optomistic until I have proved it to be otherwise.

A2

Maybe this is a sign the banks should let their employees read UP. Good ideas ripen here. :shades:

Although I will have to chime in with TurboCraig that this doesn't seem possible to do, for continual public access at will. The requirement for reservations beforehand, probably has a lot to do with navigating the security features of the building. And the trend in Charlotte has been to add more layers of security lately, (such as the gates at IJL)... not less.

So, I suspect it will turn out to be a promotion of some kind. But hopefully one that works out favorably, and they'll repeat it.

I find it strangely odd that they don't have a website to go to but rather an e-mail address. :blink:

And not just any e-mail address, it is an @mail.com address, a domain of which we get hundreds of spam e-mails a week to the UP server. I'm marking this as some sort of sick joke as there is nothing that has been said that makes me at all optimistic.

ok. i just talked with the owner of kia of monroe about this... it was the first time he'd heard about it. obviously it is a ploy of some kind.

i found this flyer outside of showmars on freedom dr. i saw the bofa building out of the corner of my eye and picked it up. i would love to know it's origin.

what a strange letdown.

ok. i just talked with the owner of kia of monroe about this... it was the first time he'd heard about it. obviously it is a ploy of some kind.

i found this flyer outside of showmars on freedom dr. i saw the bofa building out of the corner of my eye and picked it up. i would love to know it's origin.

what a strange letdown.

Archived