Google Earth

atownrocks

Why is it that Charlotte does not have 3-D buildings on Google Earth. The other day I saw that someone added some realaistic buildings, but that was it. Also the images of Chalotte and surrounding area's are horrible and outdated. Once you get at of the immediate Metro area the quality of the photos is gone. South Caroina is gread and Atlanta and most of Georgia to.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlotte (and any part of NC for that matter) is yet to be added on Windows Live Local's Birds-Eye images, which are like actual photos taken from choppers or planes or something. It would be quite an asset for Charlotte to get that... Many places smaller than Charlotte have the Birds-Eye, so why don't we??

Here's a Birds Eye example from Atlanta for anyone who hasn't used it yet:

atlantauo5.jpg

Charlotte now has 3 buildings in Google Earth: BofA Corp. BofA Plaza, and Hearst. The Hearst Tower model looks nothing like the actual building. What gives? I assume these are individual artists making these models in their spare time, or the companies are paying for this. This is not done by Google staff, correct?

• 1 year later...

Google Earth just released 5.0 today, and it includes historical satellite imagery. The earliest image for uptown is January 23, 1993. No stadium. No arena. No convention center. No wachovia three, hearst, gateway, or westin. If you head up toward the University or down toward Matthews (with the road layer turned on), you can see where subdivisions and I-485 have yet to come into existence. Independence near Uptown isn't quite separated yet. Fun stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

This topic will work...

I saw a Microsoft Live Earth vehicle charting South End this afternoon. Do they have a streetview too?

Not yet, but I would imagine they have been working hard to get something competitive out the door since Google released their street view. I wouldn't be surprised to see a street view offering from Microsoft later this year.

• 1 month later...

Charlotte (and any part of NC for that matter) is yet to be added on Windows Live Local's Birds-Eye images, which are like actual photos taken from choppers or planes or something. It would be quite an asset for Charlotte to get that... Many places smaller than Charlotte have the Birds-Eye, so why don't we??

FYI that is developed by Pictometry which uses specially equipped airplanes. The airplanes have multiple cameras attached at different wings & oddly enough the aerial images, which of course include the oblique imagery are relatively affordable for their scale.

FYI that is developed by Pictometry which uses specially equipped airplanes. The airplanes have multiple cameras attached at different wings & oddly enough the aerial images, which of course include the oblique imagery are relatively affordable for their scale.

Just to avoid confusion, that original quote was 2 years old. Charlotte has had Birds Eye view for quite some time now. I use it all the time.

• 1 year later...

http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?scale=9.81483509824307E-06&lat=35.2169642086031&lon=-80.8402807832755&year=1960

I literally gasped when I realized what I was looking at. It's one thing to know that there as a neighborhood there in the past, but quite another to see an aerial view proving that, once upon a time, "Brooklyn" did actually exist.

That's neat to see the old Independence Blvd meander through sections of Charlotte. I want to see an overlay for that old arterial with the current road network. Eh, it's scary to see the John Belk and I-77 interchange having the same design then to now, it's a horrible interchange design.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

If this link works, when you click it, you will be treated to a Google Street View photo of me waving at the Google Street View car.  If it doesn't work, imagine me waving at the Google Street View car (outside Synergy, next to Emerson Joseph).

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=rodney+g+in+the+charlotte+uptown&hl=en&ll=35.226043,-80.844742&spn=0.001284,0.002411&sll=35.226042,-80.844741&sspn=0.005171,0.009645&gl=us&hq=rodney+g&hnear=Uptown+Charlotte,+Charlotte,+Mecklenburg,+North+Carolina&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=35.226043,-80.844742&panoid=6EpX5SgrbvgZ9dfNdz4E8w&cbp=12,102.75,,2,8.61

If this link works, when you click it, you will be treated to a Google Street View photo of me waving at the Google Street View car.  If it doesn't work, imagine me waving at the Google Street View car (outside Synergy, next to Emerson Joseph).

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=rodney+g+in+the+charlotte+uptown&hl=en&ll=35.226043,-80.844742&spn=0.001284,0.002411&sll=35.226042,-80.844741&sspn=0.005171,0.009645&gl=us&hq=rodney+g&hnear=Uptown+Charlotte,+Charlotte,+Mecklenburg,+North+Carolina&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=35.226043,-80.844742&panoid=6EpX5SgrbvgZ9dfNdz4E8w&cbp=12,102.75,,2,8.61

I see you! :-)

For some reason I always expected you to have a face.  :huh:

Archived