Best Skylines in America

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ATL comparing to NYC skyline...please! :)FL have you seen the Manhattan's skyline from a distance in Jersey? I'm not talking about at the Newark Airport, but several miles west of there? Around The Oranges the elevation goes up and the mass, height and length of Manhattan is impressive to say the least.

ATL comparing to NYC skyline...please! :)FL have you seen the Manhattan's skyline from a distance in Jersey? I'm not talking about at the Newark Airport, but several miles west of there? Around The Oranges the elevation goes up and the mass, height and length of Manhattan is impressive to say the least.

I don't disagree that the height and length of NYC's skyline is MASSIVE, but I think quality over quantity. I appreciate the shape of skylines like Atlanta's and Chicago a little more than I do that of NYC's. NYC's is MASSIVE, but it doesn't work well with my taste. But maybe I should like it because that's :wub:'s adopted state.

^My BIL from Clermont was the head electrician for the County Courthouse bldg when it was constructed and I worked at the East Central FL Planning Council (at I-4/Lee Rd next to WESH) and helped review the SunTrust building plans and saw it go up. That bldg. and what used to be called the First Union bldg. were big deals in ORL b/c those were the first true high-rise in the city. Before that it was what use to be called the CNL bldg topping out at what 10 stories?

Man all that really dates me b/c how long ago was that bldg. constructed? Is it still called the Suntrust Bldg?

^My BIL from Clermont was the head electrician for the County Courthouse bldg when it was constructed and I worked at the East Central FL Planning Council (at I-4/Lee Rd next to WESH) and helped review the SunTrust building plans and saw it go up. That bldg. and what used to be called the First Union bldg. were big deals in ORL b/c those were the first true high-rise in the city. Before that it was what use to be called the CNL bldg topping out at what 10 stories?

Man all that really dates me b/c how long ago was that bldg. constructed? Is it still called the Suntrust Bldg?

I know a few people that work for East Central RPC, and I know right where your talking about. The First Union Building, now known as the Bank of America Plaza, and the SunTrust Building, were both built aroun 1987-1988, I believe. SunTrust is the tallest in Orlando at '441. I like the SunTrust tower...very "Florida-y" to me. Both are pictured, along with the Courthouse (which I think was built around 97ish?)

Nice pix GG. The Bank of America bldg (First Union) came first and was completed before SunTrust went up, if I recall correctly. We use to call the BoA Bldg. Dracula's Castle b/c of the spires at top and the bldg. seemed to be way more noticeable when it sat there all by itself sort of disconnected from downtown. However you are right about the time period. I worked for the ECFRPC after my undergrad but before grad. school. I enjoyed working there so much that after my initial year, I postponed my grad school for a full year, so I could continue to work there.

The only person I still know that works there is Fred Milch. They moved their office further up Wymore Rd. from Lee up to Maitland.

Archived