What is CHANHASSEN Like?

Michi

I just recently put in a job application located in Chanhassen, MN. I've looked around the web to get an idea of what it's like, but thought I'd check and see what like-minded peeps would say.

Let's say you were me and you got a job there. Being the urban enthusiast that we are, would you get an apartment there, a nearby town, or would it even be worth it to live in Minneapolis? (I HATE long commutes though). 10-15 minutes max driving.

Any pointers, suggestions, points of view, experiences, recommendations? I don't know what the outlook is like, but I'm interested in knowing anyway what Chanhassen is like. Thanks! :)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just recently put in a job application located in Chanhassen, MN. I've looked around the web to get an idea of what it's like, but thought I'd check and see what like-minded peeps would say.

Let's say you were me and you got a job there. Being the urban enthusiast that we are, would you get an apartment there, a nearby town, or would it even be worth it to live in Minneapolis? (I HATE long commutes though). 10-15 minutes max driving.

Any pointers, suggestions, points of view, experiences, recommendations? I don't know what the outlook is like, but I'm interested in knowing anyway what Chanhassen is like. Thanks! :)

That whole area down there is pretty exurban. Chanhassen is pretty nice with its proximity to lakes, but also very spendy $$$.

I'd go with what Minneapolitan said and look for somewhere to live in the more inner-ring suburbs.

Edina, Hopkins, and St. Louis Park are more established and have older homes and St. Louis Park and Hopkins are both trying to establish "downtowns" with mainstreet style shopping and living, though that is also very expensive.

Edina is the traditional upper class suburb. They are bequeathed with the nickname "Cake eaters" by others.

The problem is with your commute. Having to commute on Hwy 62 or Hwy 169 is a big big no-no, though 494 was recently expanded in the area.

The southwest Metro is probably the fastest growing part of the metro, so most places are going to be more expensive as many corporations have operations in the south metro along the "Bloomington Strip" (494).

On the other hand, you'd be close to good shopping with the Mall of America 15 minutes away and Ridgedale about the same. Also, if this is a longer term move, it looks as though the southwest metro will be up for the next LRT line after the Central corridor.

Thanks, both for the comments. I'm not a mall person at all, so when I do go, it's rare occassion and extraordinary trip. I like more traditional-style communities, love the outdoors, so I know if I have access to Minny's park system, I will be a happy camper. I can do the suburbs, but can't do sprawl (know what I mean?). Though I'd love to live center city Minneapolis, it isn't a top priority. Living in close proximity, I suppose would be though.

I was just curious as Chanhassen may like my resume.

Archived