Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

450' here is just fine IMO. Would be nice if it were taller? Sure, but not everything has to be 600-700'. Definitely didn't want it to overshadow the Duke Energy Center either. Bring on more density. Just hope the street level presence is good like Jayvee mentioned. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't take issue with the height.  I take issue with the fact that it's a box.  It should have had setbacks and a crown.

It's near a building that will have a crown, a tall building with a handle, a tall building with a rounded juke box like top. 

• Like 3

Sounds squat.

26 floors (not counting 13) with a floor on top that doesn't appear to serve a function. About the height of 3 wells sounds about right.

"70s Park Avenue Modernist"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

"70s Park Avenue Modernist"

did I read that correctly or am I having a stroke?

FWIW this is what pops up when google imaging that phrase:

pepsi-nyc.jpg

Check out that ground floor! (I am in no way implying that this is what Tryon Place will look like nor do I have any useful information. I just irrationally hate the aesthetic of the 1970s)

Edited by kermit

4 minutes ago, Synopsis101 said:

Better than the second rendering?

The second rendering looked 70's modernist to me. I suspect we'll end up with something like that. At least it's likely to be a little taller than the 21 story iteration I was afraid we'd end up with.

But as this cycle is surely winding out, I'm guessing, it is evident we're going to wind up with nice enough, but little in the way of groundbreaking design.

Some 1970s International-style buildings have so many setbacks that they look quite good.   By contrast, I gather that Tryon Place is just a lame 450' box.

IMG_0933.thumb.JPG.c750769fc7ea73e24ef42cde8478074a.JPG

Tectonic

Not lame, there is an articulating grid on most of the facade that's quite nice. And the 450 max comment, meant that's as tall as I think it'll get, the rendering appears to be around 425.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have said this before when buildings get built they have to appeal to their tenants and whatever this redesign is it sounds like they have an anchor tenant now. Otherwise we can wait 3-5 more years until a new start on this property. I just want something started and if the ground level looks great that is very important. Some of our signature buildings were built to make big statements like Duke Energy which was going to be the world headquarters of Wachovia until 2008 or Bank of America Corporate Center. We all would like the tallest the greatest but these buildings have to be built for economic reality in order to be leased out at a reasonable rate. 300 South Tryon is a great addition to our skyline and is only about as tall as this building might be but this building will be much more visible on the skyline due to location.   I just want something built decent here with great ground level and leased up so the next wave of towers can get started. 

• Like 4