Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

I really like the design.  Like others have said, it's unlike anything Charlotte has, and while I see the 1970s SoCal or 1960s Park Ave references, it's really not a ubiquitous style around the country (and I like the style).

I am confused, though, what the hotel massing (maybe actual rendering) means for the existing McElroy law building at College/Stonewall.  Asana just purchased it...so it looks like 1) they are flipping it to Crescent, 2) integrating it which doesn't show on this rendering, or 3) the placement of the hotel in the rendering isn't accurate.

• Like 1

Just now, atlrvr said:

I really like the design.  Like others have said, it's unlike anything Charlotte has, and while I see the 1970s SoCal or 1960s Park Ave references, it's really not a ubiquitous style around the country (and I like the style).

I am confused, though, what the hotel massing (maybe actual rendering) means for the existing McElroy law building at College/Stonewall.  Asana just purchased it...so it looks like 1) they are flipping it to Crescent, 2) integrating it which doesn't show on this rendering, or 3) the placement of the hotel in the rendering isn't accurate.

Diehl is gone. 

I like it as well and I like the BOAT tower across the street at Legacy, However I dont understand the hotel is that going to be on top of the Asana purchased Diehl office? I hope not for that building is historic and the scale is nice. I know @ricky_davis_fan_21 mentioned air rights but I really hope that building is preserved. Otherwise I like it and it gives the skyline variety as does the much taller BOAT at Legacy.  (and finally something to talk about rather than our Amazon bid)

• Like 1

Just now, KJHburg said:

I like it as well and I like the BOAT tower across the street at Legacy, However I dont understand the hotel is that going to be on top of the Asana purchased Diehl office? I hope not for that building is historic and the scale is nice. I know @ricky_davis_fan_21 mentioned air rights but I really hope that building is preserved. Otherwise I like it and it gives the skyline variety as does the much taller BOAT at Legacy.  (and finally something to talk about rather than our Amazon bid)

I'm pretty sure its gonezo the great.

So I'm working on an article for a review. Much like the one I did for Lincoln Harris.

What is everyone's negatives? 

• big ass of a parking deck, thats not buried, they want to create engaging spaces yet they dedicated 2 acres of the project to parking.  Should have sucked it up and ate the extra $35M to stick it under ground.

• loss of a historic feed and seed building that could have created affordable rent space. 

• sort of a bland box, though I have liked it since the first time I saw renderings, I wish there was some of the curtain wall facing 277. 3/4 of the building seems like a lot for the articulating grid.

It looks like one of the Irvine Company's towers in Orange County and some of the older ones around Newport Fashion Island. http://spectrumskyline.com/address

Anyway I like it it is different for our skyline and I think I calculated Ally had about 300K sq ft of space so this is an upgrade for them (that is just an estimate on my part from their 3 offices) 

My big beef with it not the garage or the design but I dont like the old seed store building the Diehl law firm building being destroyed. We have so few left like that couldnt the hotel be built around it but not above it and make the hotel restaurant or something.  That is what they would do in Savannah you know that. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

RDF you asked, so not having to spend my own money, it would have been nice to have two hotels sandwiching  the parking deck, one on stonewall as planned and taller, and a smaller, thinner one on Hill down to College, 7-9 stories, so you only saw the parking  deck from the westin side on College... don't know if there was room.  The stonewall one would be a bigger flagship hotel being closer to the convention center, and the one fronting Hill something like the ones going in at Stonewall Station....

that would have been impressive coming into town from s tryon or college from the south... and not having to see the parking deck from 277....  given you already will see the huge parking decks at Stonewall station and Legacy LH.... don't want to see a big row of 9 floor parking decks.... from the south whether you are on 277 driving by or coming up from s. tryon or college st, which could wind up being more photographed and representative of Charlotte than the conventional shots from the east or west...  first impressions of a huge row of parking decks.......uggh, not hip for amazon hq...

overall it will still be impressive, especially from the south perspective if Duke does its 600' tower that is looming behind Ally/Tryon with big LED tentacles on top, DEC, Legacy, Museum tower  and Stonewall station/Westin/615 and stadium  when you think about that their was nothing hardly there 15 years ago.

Can someone explain how the Diehl building is now a goner?  Two months ago, Asana bought the thing with, what I thought was an intention to renovate it.  Now Crescent, who does not own the building, can somehow tear it down?  What transaction or agreement took place that would allow this to occur?

Also is there anything in Accela or with the historical society that says the building can be demolished?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

So I'm working on an article for a review. Much like the one I did for Lincoln Harris.

• big ass of a parking deck, thats not buried, they want to create engaging spaces yet they dedicated 2 acres of the project to parking.  Should have sucked it up and ate the extra $35M to stick it under ground.  I think it would be too much to ask to bury that thing.

• loss of a historic feed and seed building that could have created affordable rent space. Definitely unfortunate.  I think they owe us (not literally) a nicely restored building somewhere else Uptown if this must be sacrificed.

• sort of a bland box, though I have liked it since the first time I saw renderings, I wish there was some of the curtain wall facing 277. 3/4 of the building seems like a lot for the articulating grid.  I'm actually fine with the building design and think it's less gimmicky than some of the more recently completed projects.  I think it will look even better built and that it will age well.  I'm assuming the white top will be translucent, which I think will look great.

The plaza could be more engaging (like original design).  I agree with Papadog who suggests another hotel on the freeway side of the garage.  All in all, the loss of the historic building is my main objection.

3 hours ago, AppState92 said:

The height is fine, but the design... Ugh.  Dark glass and white top reminds me of the BB&T center a few blocks away.  So dated.

I assume that what appears to be a white top is perhaps clear glass that shows how it will be lit up at night.  Maybe Jayvee or Ricky can clear this up.

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

• big ass of a parking deck, thats not buried, they want to create engaging spaces yet they dedicated 2 acres of the project to parking.  Should have sucked it up and ate the extra $35M to stick it under ground.

• loss of a historic feed and seed building that could have created affordable rent space. 

• sort of a bland box, though I have liked it since the first time I saw renderings, I wish there was some of the curtain wall facing 277. 3/4 of the building seems like a lot for the articulating grid.

Was hoping for at least 30k of retail for the office portion and  at least another 15k on the hotel site (asana)