Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I assume that what appears to be a white top is perhaps clear glass that shows how it will be lit up at night.  Maybe Jayvee or Ricky can clear this up.

I am curious of the same as well. It would be cool if indeed the top portion does light up. This would be a nice accent but I dont think it's the flair many believe is missing. I too like most folks am mostly pleased and moderately disappointed with this tower.

RDF mentioned anchor tenant above the wall along Stonewall. I hope there's something besides restaraunts here. The articles pretty much exclusively talked about food joints. Not surprising. But 5 years of hearing about this project, sorta not up to hype. 

BOAT surpassed my standards thus far. Speed, scale, etc 

• Like 1

Quote from Leary CBJ: "There's a definite demand for soft goods retail but we're going to stay true to the vision of the folks that we're going to recruit to activate the sidewalk and that 30k square feet of retail."  He later added that it will probably consist of food and beverage and other possible tenants could be a fitness studio and salon.  The food and beverage aspect I get, but I don't jump out of my seat about a fitness studio esp since part of the Charlotte Atletic club is at the DEC right across the street.  From that quote, it's hard to tell what he means by that.

^^^Woof.  I reread that article.  Sounds like virtually no soft goods retailers based on the quote.

So demolished historic building potentially and 30000 ft of restaurant space with maybe a gym or salon thrown in.   All we need now is for the hotel to be a Fairfield Inn and Suites and we will have a true Charlotte VE project on our hands.

I think they should paint all non-glass portions of the project beige for the full Charlotte effect...maybe even look into beige tinted glass as well.  Don't know if there is such a thing, but hey why not create it?

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

^^^Woof.  I reread that article.  Sounds like virtually no soft goods retailers based on the quote.

So demolished historic building potentially and 30000 ft of restaurant space with maybe a gym or salon thrown in.   All we need now is for the hotel to be a Fairfield Inn and Suites and we will have a true Charlotte VE project on our hands.

I think they should paint all non-glass portions of the project beige for the full Charlotte effect...maybe even look into beige tinted glass as well.  Don't know if there is such a thing, but hey why not create it?

Theres better stuff to come. I'm sure of it. Admittedly, might not be enough to make up for losing a historic structure.

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Theres better stuff to come. 

Really or is this sarcasm?  I honestly don't know what's better than transformative, street-activating restaurants, salons, and gym space. 

If there is something better, am I correct to assume that it will be in a different project? Or is there some redeeming quality of this project?  Honestly, i think I was happier about the project before today's announcement.  My imagination was filling in the blanks with the something much more creative than what was announced.

10 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

Really or is this sarcasm?  I honestly don't know what's better than transformative, street-activating restaurants, salons, and gym space. 

If there is something better, am I correct to assume that it will be in a different project? Or is there some redeeming quality of this project?  Honestly, i think I was happier about the project before today's announcement.  My imagination was filling in the blanks with the something much more creative than what was announced.

I mean theres much more to go with this project, as they are thinking about top notch ways to activate and engage pedestrians. They had impressive LOIs with the first Tryon Place iteration, and if any of those are in place it will be great. I tried to temper expectations, because I knew architecturally we were going to end up with a less interesting project.

As far as other things go, I've heard some names thrown around with Lincoln Harris that make me very excited. Tryon Place is going to be one of those projects that tips the scales culinarily for Charlotte. Lincoln Harris, Design Center and Atherton are going to tip the scales from a shopping perspective. People see a company like Whole Foods willing to spend money uptown and it gets their attention.

There are no other cities in the US that are experiencing the level of commercial growth per capita as charlotte. Thats something to be very very excited about. 

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I mean theres much more to go with this project, as they are thinking about top notch ways to activate and engage pedestrians. They had impressive LOIs with the first Tryon Place iteration, and if any of those are in place it will be great. I tried to temper expectations, because I knew architecturally we were going to end up with a less interesting project.

As far as other things go, I've heard some names thrown around with Lincoln Harris that make me very excited. Tryon Place is going to be one of those projects that tips the scales culinarily for Charlotte. Lincoln Harris, Design Center and Atherton are going to tip the scales from a shopping perspective. People see a company like Whole Foods willing to spend money uptown and it gets their attention.

There are no other cities in the US that are experiencing the level of commercial growth per capita as charlotte. Thats something to be very very excited about. 

Hope you're right.  I don't mind the architecture at all.  I just hate that the Diehl building looks like it's gone ( even though Ely said in his article today it's to be renovated) and the lack of soft goods retail. Unfortunately, those along with a good hotel brand were way more important features of the project , in my view, than the  office building.  Considering how all this played out I am expecting the hotel to be a giant Motel 6, that's the only thing that could make it more disappointing.

Well if you're trying to activate and engage pedestrians you don't have a huge set back buffered with monumental stairs leading to yet another plaza :(   And if you do, you had better have some stellar tenants to lure people in.  As for that wall I get that it's graded,  I just feel they took the easy way out instead of getting creative about it, which doesn't require that much creativity tbh.  Maybe it will change :rolleyes:

The Diehl law building was built between 1902-1914 and I think it needs to stay.  It is historic and everyone on this UP board is always talking about smaller buildings make the streetscape. Here is one we can save and incorporate into the hotel but not flatten it. My grandfather used to buy seeds from there for his garden before it became an office building.

Read about it here http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rquery.htm   Why not make this historic building the restaurant or bar area for any new hotel. 

3 more points about from the historical perspective

1) the building, constructed in three stages between 1902 and 1914, is the only remnant of a substantial commercial district which existed on South College Street at the turn of the century; 2) the building represents a type of brick and beam commercial architecture which was once common in Charlotte but is now rare; 3) the building has served as a hardware and feed store for many years; 4) the building is substantially unchanged from its early appearance.

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

So I'm working on an article for a review. Much like the one I did for Lincoln Harris.

What is everyone's negatives? 

• big ass of a parking deck, thats not buried, they want to create engaging spaces yet they dedicated 2 acres of the project to parking.  Should have sucked it up and ate the extra $35M to stick it under ground.

• loss of a historic feed and seed building that could have created affordable rent space. 

• sort of a bland box, though I have liked it since the first time I saw renderings, I wish there was some of the curtain wall facing 277. 3/4 of the building seems like a lot for the articulating grid.

I am truly surprised at the number of UP'ers that like this design.  It....is....a....box.  A big, unattractive box.  What in the heck happened to the, at least, interesting original concepts we saw.  There is nothing exciting about the design of this building to me.  These two blocks will have a box and an 80's throwback to the pyramid gods.  I expected much better than this.

HOWEVER, at least we are seeing progress.  So there is something to be said for that.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2013 at 3:49 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Just wait til I'm done :-) I'll try to sneak it over to little. 

work in progress, I haven't designed a building in years :-(

post-17104-0-06578100-1383336410_thumb.j

I remember when this was the official design. The atrium was a hot topic.

Back then it was going to have a city-funded thousand-room hotel with water slides too. 

• Like 2

I am truly surprised at the number of UP'ers that like this design.  It....is....a....box.  A big, unattractive box.  What in the heck happened to the, at least, interesting original concepts we saw.  There is nothing exciting about the design of this building to me.  These two blocks will have a box and an 80's throwback to the pyramid gods.  I expected much better than this.
HOWEVER, at least we are seeing progress.  So there is something to be said for that.

Just a simple extra embellishment would have gone a LONG WAY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully, Duke will build something a bit more adventurous next door.

The Ally tower is ok, but having two 400' boxes rise next to each other will be lame.

The grids look nice though.

In good news, only one way to go... across 277. Duke will be a bit more adventurous, if the descriptions I got are accurate. But still an embellished box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk