Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hopefully, Duke will build something a bit more adventurous next door.

The Ally tower is ok, but having two 400' boxes rise next to each other will be lame.

The grids look nice though.

Thanks in part to the expected added 16% rate hike. 

11 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Here we go. 

Ally Charlotte Center (let’s change the name of the thread)

26 stories

742k SF office, 400k of which is ally

30k retail

300+ room luxury hotel

Street level design is phenomenal. Lots of public space and the parking deck is hidden, from this angle at least.   

I'll concede that I could just be wrong and a lot of this is subjective.  I also acknowledged that this isn't nearly as good as early renderings.  That said, I really don't get the criticism on the office building.  I think it's a clean and modern design and think it will look great in that location.  I also think the overall site plan is above average (though not as good as originally proposed).  The worst thing about this is losing the historic building.  By comparison, I'm angry and sad about what is being built across the street.  The biggest mistake by Crescent was in failing to manage expectations...

Edit:  my wife says it's "boring".  What do I know??

Edited by JBS
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Breaking News:  New High-rise with Anchor Tenant!

Standard UP Response: Blah. Boring.  NYC and Denver are so much better.  Why is it not a 1k footer?

Lol.  I say this in jest, but come on guys...  This is a good looking building that will tower over 277.  Not every building is going to have a handle/crown/sail/pyramid.  I love it.  I think it is a really sharp looking building.  More importantly it has nice pedestrian interaction and speaks to the health of the Charlotte economy.  I do hope that the Duke building has a little more substantial height, but I really like the Ally building.

Ally.jpg.733c2caf096c7a193874412771d5c799.jpg

I generally agree. But the only difference is I liked the old rendering much better. (I honestly have zero idea why people are so turned off by Legacy, but I like it a lot. And we don't know the rest of the site plan so it's pre-mature to write it off yet, especially when RDF hints a Harris Teeter, soft goods retailers, a Cesar's palace type look that we haven't seen yet)

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I generally agree. But the only difference is I liked the old rendering much better. (I honestly have zero idea why people are so turned off by Legacy, but I like it a lot. And we don't know the rest of the site plan so it's pre-mature to write it off yet, especially when RDF hints a Harris Teeter, soft goods retailers, a Cesar's palace type look that we haven't seen yet)

The Caesers Palace thing is a joke. 

37 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I liked the old rendering too.  It's silly I know, but I kind of like the canyon feel of tall buildings following the bends in roads.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

CLT is on its way to becoming world class, But it doesn't happen over night, It takes time. 

But when  prime land gets snagged up for mediocre projects where does that leave us when ready to make the leap? Oh well, it's not like we have any say in the matter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Some of us wish CLT would strive to be a world class city not a mediocre one. Both these projects appear to be on the mediocre end of the scale. 

These buildings have no bearing on whether Charlotte becomes a mediocre or world class city. The most significant thing about the buildings is that it brings commerce and attention to the city. That outweighs design. I can name several world class cities that have no skyline or those that don't have one  anywhere close to what we already have just as JBS said. Many world class cities don't have a skyline worth mentioning at all.  I am just thankful to have the new additions and the others that are coming. 

9 minutes ago, rockhilljames said:

It's funny, the first thing I thought of when I saw the rendering was how well it would fit in Denver's skyline. It's nothing but boxes.

Despite my grudging acceptance of Tryon Place's current design I'll offer that Denver can get away with boxes since everybody is looking at the Rockies anyway. In Charlotte (and Atlanta, Raleigh, Nashville...) the only views we have is of skyline.

This is the thing that really irks me about securitised RE finance -- Value Engineering becomes king in a world where no one needs to think about the value of a building 10, 20 or 30 years down the road.

(having said all that, I think Tryon Place looks fine save the massive deck and weird grading along Stonewall)

Query-Spivey-McGee was really a very unremarkable building with no architectural merit. That said... for the urban texture of Charlotte its essential that this building is saved somehow. It'd make the perfect base for a hotel, honestly. 

0212_FEA_Buildings_SouthCollege.jpg

Query Spivey McGee Building.jpg

QuerySpiveyMcGee001.jpg

50 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

These buildings have no bearing on whether Charlotte becomes a mediocre or world class city. The most significant thing about the buildings is that it brings commerce and attention to the city. That outweighs design. I can name several world class cities that have no skyline or those that don't have one  anywhere close to what we already have just as JBS said. Many world class cities don't have a skyline worth mentioning at all.  I am just thankful to have the new additions and the others that are coming. 

Blank concrete walls and raised parking podiums are not nice. The amount of retail does not impress so far either. A world class city is somewhere people want to live in the city not the burbs. From what I've read this doesn't move that bar.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Blank concrete walls and raised parking podiums are not nice. The amount of retail does not impress so far either. A world class city is somewhere people want to live in the city not the burbs. From what I've read this doesn't move that bar.

America has no world class cities then. Save NYC? Lol. 

Denver has 73,000 folks in "downtown" (not just the CBD) Denver, 700,000 city limits. Somewhere around 10% of the city population. That doesn't seem so off from Center City Charlotte population if we take into account the size of the metro area 

Just pointing out that I think most people in all US cities prefer to be in the 'burbs by large margins. 

But I agree with you about the wall. It's atrocious under any circumstance to have this wall along Stonewall in addition to the Westin which sucks along Stonewall and the convention Center.... 3 large city blocks worth of blank walls on a promising street is bull.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Query-Spivey-McGee was really a very unremarkable building with no architectural merit. That said... for the urban texture of Charlotte its essential that this building is saved somehow. It'd make the perfect base for a hotel, honestly. 

0212_FEA_Buildings_SouthCollege.jpg

Query Spivey McGee Building.jpg

QuerySpiveyMcGee001.jpg

Agree with you 100%. However how do we save it? I checked the latest set of minutes from the landmarks commission-a certificate of appropriateness to demolish the building was motioned and looks as if it has already passed provided that the developer place a plaque commemorating the building on site and create a picture book for the commission (no I am not bull$h!+ing).  

If they're going to tear that thing down why can't they at least save the facades on College and Stonewall streets? In Washington DC they do this kind of stuff all the time, where they build a new building just behind the facades of historical buildings which still gives the street pedestrian scale, yet allows developers to build up so as to not lose value in the site.   The building is not in a derelict state, so it should in theory be very easy to make such a thing happen from a construction standpoint.