Bled_man

Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

3 hours ago, QCxpat said:

Here is one attempt by The Globalization and World Cities Research Network at Loughborough University in England to identify and compare 307 World Cities.  Note that both Charlotte and Raleigh are ranked and considered to be "Gamma-" cities, defined as the 59 cities that link smaller economic regions into the world economy.   See link at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globalization_and_World_Cities_Research_Network

Globalization and World Cities Research Network

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaThe Globalization and World Cities Research Network, commonly abbreviated to GaWC, is a think tank that studies the relationships between world cities in the context of globalization. It is based in the geography department of Loughborough University in England.

GaWC was founded by Peter J. Taylor in 1998,[1] Together with Jon Beaverstock and Richard G. Smith, they create the GaWC's bi-annual categorization of world cities into "Alpha", "Beta" and "Gamma" tiers, based upon their international connectedness.[2]

The GaWC examines cities worldwide to narrow them down to a roster of 307 world cities, then ranks these based on their connectivity through four "advanced producer services": accountancy, advertising, banking/finance, and law.[3] The GaWC inventory ranks city economics more heavily than political or cultural factors. Beyond the categories of "Alpha" world cities (with four sub-categories), "Beta" world cities (three sub-categories) and "Gamma" world cities (three sub-categories), the GaWC cities include additional cities at "High sufficiency" and "Sufficiency" level.

The following is a general guide to the rankings as of the most recent (2016) update:[4]

Alpha++ cities are vastly more integrated with the global economy than all other cities. [4]

Alpha+ cities are the eight cities that complement London and New York City by filling advanced service niches for the global economy.[4]

Alpha and Alpha- cities are the 13 and 22 cities, respectively, that link major economic regions into the world economy.[4]

The GaWC global cities according to the 2016 study:

Beta level cities are the 78 cities that link moderate economic regions into the world economy.[4]

Gamma level cities are the 59 cities that link smaller economic regions into the world economy.[4]

High Sufficiency level cities are the 41 cities that have a high degree of accountancy, advertising, banking/finance, and law services so as not to be dependent on world cities.[4]

Sufficiency level cities are the 84 cities that have a sufficient degree of services so as not to be obviously dependent on world cities.[4]

1000px-The_World_According_to_GaWC_2016.
The World According to GaWC 2016

Gamma+ world cities: Bristol, St. Petersburg, Charlotte, Lahore, Baltimore, Jeddah, Zagreb, Adelaide, Durban, Santo Domingo, San Salvador, St Louis, Islamabad, Guayaquil, Cologne, Phoenix, Georgetown (CI), Osaka, Tampa

Gamma world cities: Valencia (SP), Glasgow, San Jose (US), San Juan, Marseille, Cincinnatti, Guadalajara, Leeds, Baku, TallinnVilnius, Colombo, Raleigh, Ankara, Belfast, Milwaukee, Muscat, Ljubljana

http://www.spottedbylocals.com/blog/alpha-beta-and-gamma-cities/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Big thanks to @RiverwoodCLT for the update of the Globalization and World Cities Network (GaWC) data.   And very happy news to see that Charlotte has moved up 2 rank orders from Gamma- to Gamma+.   Smart catch! 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, QCxpat said:

Big thanks to @RiverwoodCLT for the update of the Globalization and World Cities Network (GaWC) data.   And very happy news to see that Charlotte has moved up 2 rank orders from Gamma- to Gamma+.   Smart catch! 

I agree. It was obviously a mistake. There were several cities that many of knew that were in a lesser status than Charlotte on a worldwide scale. It might have been devised by a "think tank" at the university, but I question what they were thinking about and their credibility in regards to the gamma ratings.  I also question/challenge the accuracy of placing some of those in the bata area ahead of us.   

8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I forgot about Duke and I think that is going to happen and it depends if Wells can push enough of Duke out their own DEC building they (Wells) may not have build.  But Wells is growing here but I have heard they may do additional towers at Ballantyne. 

Yes.  Wells is pushing over a thousand people to Ballantyne, while Ally is going to CONSOLIDATE their workforce FROM Ballantyne to uptown.  Scratching my head at that one.

To consolidate every one of the 23,000 plus employees of Wells in one building would require a 7 MILLION sq ft building that would need to be 200 stories at 35K sq ft floorplates! Not likely at all  but fun to think about it. Maybe RDF can come up with a rendering of it LOL

Yes south Tryon new tower canyon will be very impressive from 277. Those buildings will look even taller from the freeway.   And remember the Unannounced not going to happen new Duke tower too according to the company. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Duke is absolutely going to happen. And I wouldn't put it passed them to stay in DEC, because who would leave that beautiful corp. center, and occupy a new tower as well. Theres enough people scattered all throughout the state that could be moved back to Charlotte at a moments notice.

That's great news.

Will the new Duke tower start in 2018?

I hope they have public amenities. Paying $15-20+ a month extra better not be going towards this tower. 

That's an excellent point. Hope someone reads this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Thanks, Dale.  So is it likely to break ground in 2018?

Oh, I don't have a shred of information. I'm just reasoning that if Duke is serious -- and as slow as Tryon Place has moved to date -- ...

Thanks, Dale.  So is it likely to break ground in 2018?

Based on expiring leases I'd think they'd need to be moving in 6-9 months frankly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soon, When driving on 277 you will be in the middle of towering skyscrapers, We have a Freeway going through Downtown, Which there are pros and cons, But one pro is that you'll be emerged in towering skyscrapers.

• Like 4

On 9/21/2017 at 2:09 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Lastly, Charlotte isn't world class, and it won't ever be. Its iconic towers were a dick measuring contest between two middle aged men trying to one up eachother.

Late to this, and understand your comment for what it is, though I'd argue much will change if we make it another 500 years into the future, one can simply look 500 years into the past to see how that may go.  Dick measuring has pretty much defined the entirety of world history at that.

13 minutes ago, nowensone said:

Late to this, and understand your comment for what it is, though I'd argue much will change if we make it another 500 years into the future, one can simply look 500 years into the past to see how that may go.  Dick measuring has pretty much defined the entirety of world history at that.

That includes the Catholic Church and it's clergy... but we digress. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

That includes the Catholic Church and it's clergy... but we digress. 

... although schoolkids are 100 X more likely to be teachered than priested these days.

46 minutes ago, Dale said:

... although schoolkids are 100 X more likely to be teachered than priested these days.

In either cases, neither are safe to have around kids much of the time. 

Is this thread about Tryon Place-Crescent Project, dick measuring, or the  future of uninspired children?  I'm fine with any or all. 

Imagine the new Ally Center at Tryon Place to the right and behind the Harvey B Gantt the new Duke Energy we are not going to build it tower. 

From CPE Magazine https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/new-skyscraper-coming-to-uptown-charlotte/?utm_source=whatcountsemail&utm_medium=cpe daily&utm_campaign=cpe daily newsletter

IMG_0869.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dale said:

at least 100x...maybe 1000x. We teachers are a terrible bunch.

• Like 1