Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

2 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I don't get this obsession with towers. Who cares. I want density with culture. I mean I'm not against towers and understand the economics but they do nothing to make CLT more livable do they?

I like Density, I like Culture, And I like Towers. The good part is development companies are realizing that towers are changing and people want Mixed Used Towers, And those help CLT become more livable. More and More Mixed Use towers are popping up in Uptown, Such as Stonewall Station.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I like Density, I like Culture, And I like Towers. The good part is development companies are realizing that towers are changing and people want Mixed Used Towers, And those help CLT become more livable. More and More Mixed Use towers are popping up in Uptown, Such as Stonewall Station.  

we'll see but 300 S Tryon and the Ascent didn't do anything for us. So far at least. I am really looking forward to seeing that farm to table place opens in Ascent.

9 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

we'll see but 300 S Tryon and the Ascent didn't do anything for us. So far at least. I am really looking forward to seeing that farm to table place opens in Ascent.

There is a LOT of restaurants under way. From what I understand one of the big projects on Stonewall is basically talking to only James Beard caliber places, with a more global flare to open there. 

Now to get someone to take a risk and develop some sort of great live music venue outside of NC Music Factory, uptown.

Edited by Guest

35 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Now to get someone to take a risk and develop some sort of great live music venue outside of NC Music Factory, uptown.

My thoughts: Brooklyn Village, Metropolitan and the new Pappa's project (CRRA redevelopment) are all good candidates.

Plus spreads the venues a little, allows for concurrent events and limits the extent of traffic.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

While I'd love that, I find it to be one of the least likely types of new development to occur uptown, unless its a new theater some years down the road. We need mid-size venues the most, and I don't know of many examples of new construction for club type standing-room venues. I think the next music venue(s) will repurpose some warehouse space in either Camp Northend, Mint/Gold District area, Optimist Park, or Craighead. There HAS to be some pent up demand from the loss of Tremont, Amos', Double Door, and Chop Shop.

The only buildings uptown that I could see repurposing into a music venue are the old church/event space on Brevard, and the old Cans space at 5th and Graham which has been a rotating series of failed clubs for years, but even those I find unlikely.

12 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

The only buildings uptown

Last I heard, Dowd Y redevelopment/addition is supposed to have 200-250 seat auditorium. (this info is from time before they even announced the plans publicly - so might be outdated) - would be interesting to see if it could be used for some venues.

They have a parking garage to accommodate the influx of ppl and it is close enough the LYNX Blue Line that it can work.

6 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Last I heard, Dowd Y redevelopment/addition is supposed to have 200-250 seat auditorium. (this info is from time before they even announced the plans publicly - so might be outdated) - would be interesting to see if it could be used for some venues.

They have a parking garage to accommodate the influx of ppl and it is close enough the LYNX Blue Line that it can work.

YMCAs don't tend to be all that progressive tours programming like that. Maybe a battle of the bands, not a full fledged show. I'd also venture to guess they don't have the average ambiance show goers are looking for.

4 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

There are people performing in outdoor Bars and Breweries lot's of times in Noda or Southend.

mayyyybe company store could do some sort of mini version of what I'm talking about with their back lot, but its almost not even close. No where else fits the bill, although you could throw a hell of a festival on Old Meck's property

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

YMCAs don't tend to be all that progressive tours programming like that. Maybe a battle of the bands, not a full fledged show.

Agreed, I see it more used for speaking/Town Hall style engagements - but it could be something to pitch to them and test out.

2 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

What ever happened to the NC Music Factory? Do they still use that place for venues and dining or is it starting to go downhill? I wouldn't be surprised if they added an outdoor performing venue.

NC Music Factory is doing very well, and they have numerous outdoor venues. But let me be frank here. NC Music Factory is very disconnected from the urban fabric of the city. The might as well be an island you have to get to by gondola. They are certainly an extremely valuable asset for the region, but its impossible to walk to and it doesn't fit the mold/cache of what exactly I'm looking for. 

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

NC Music Factory is doing very well, and they have numerous outdoor venues. But let me be frank here. NC Music Factory is very disconnected from the urban fabric of the city. The might as well be an island you have to get to by gondola. They are certainly an extremely valuable asset for the region, but its impossible to walk to and it doesn't fit the mold/cache of what exactly I'm looking for. 

Why they didn't run the BLE through there blows my mind.

6 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

What ever happened to the NC Music Factory? Do they still use that place for venues and dining or is it starting to go downhill? I wouldn't be surprised if they added an outdoor performing venue.

I'd say the dining hasn't been quite figured out yet aside from VBGB staying steady and 8.2.0 gaining some popularity, but the music venues are very stable. Definitely not going downhill. The 4000+ seat amphitheater is great, The Fillmore gets all the biggest club shows, and The Underground is a solid small/med venue. Not to mention our only dedicated comedy club, which has a pretty solid calendar.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Given the original Blue Line alignment, the extension had less then 1% chance of going to NC Music Factory.

NC Music Factory didn't have enough upside to justify the astronomical cost it would have cost to route the train over there. Crossing the tracks under 277/16 would have been an absolute nightmare, and getting around the cemetery would mean it would have to doubleback on itself. Train lines are typically build based on density and people within walking distance. Theres 10s of thousands of people that reside near NC Music Factory, but unfortunately they can't ride the train... because they are deceased.

Imagine getting the rights to cross this, oy vey.

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 2.43.02 PM.png

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Hunted said:

With Gateway Station, they could very easily add another light rail line nearby if Norfolk Southern agrees to share the line(s) with CATS. 

Space constraints through uptown plus gateway station tracks plus FTA rules about the separation of heavy rail and LRT make this very unlikely.

A music venue uptown is a very tough sell. The lack of adaptability and setup time required for each band means that the space will be producing revenue for (at best) 24 hours per week. NC liquor laws make it even tougher than most places since they won't be able to sell liquor in most scenarios. Since you can't easily build residential (noise) or office (will ruin the vibe of the venue) space on top of the facility a surface lot would almost certainly generate a higher ROI than a music venue. You can't really go high end with it either due to the competition (Sprit Square, Knight Auditorum, Bluemthal along with the cable box). 

This is one of those things where you really need a disused old building -- something we just no longer have uptown.  We had some decent candidates on West Morehead and the old fallingdown church up in Wesley Heights but those opportunities have passed us by. Should the craft beer industry turn south the Catawba brewing space would be a decent (but still not uptown).

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Yeah, like RDF and nonillogical stated, it's doing really well.  Having Avid's new HQ has def helped those businesses out.  The music venues are always sold out and appear to be doing well.  Food-wise, there is VBGB (surprisingly really good food there), 8.20 has the little pizza joint inside, there is Factory Cafe (which was formerly the sushi place called 8ight, Wet-Willies, and La Revolucion.  Wouldn't go to the last two for food though.  I know Avid has talked with the owners of the NC MF about more tenants for food options and with the addition of the new apartments Cadence, seems like they should add something soon.  As far as light rail, the new stop near the skyhouses,  wouldn't be that bad of a walk/bike ride (i know someone at avid that walk/bikes from the 7th st station to work everyday).   However, when I do walk from uptown to NCMF or vice versa, I always cut through the cemetery.  Graham st during rush hour is a nightmare.  The cemetery is really separating Uptown with the music factory though.  Music venue wise, I know the epicentre isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the rooftop 210 music stage is pretty cool and has some awesome views of the city.

But yes, can't wait for Ally Charlotte Center lol...

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz